First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
MD
I am just wondering if there are reports of people stealing Rivians. Certainly that can be carjacked but I was wondering about them being stolen outright.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

No. I'd expect that might change for R2 when they start shipping them to different countries though.

Sponsored

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
We came to the conclusion that only the edvs get stolen.

Probably get stolen at the same rate as Teslas, which is probably zero outside of carjacking or someone using a physical key or phone.

AYAYRON

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
Tesla thefts will rise as they get out of warranty and people put in orders to steal them for parts. It’s crazy to see fb pages dedicated to aholes literally putting in requests to steal cars

runningdenver

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S QM
Occupation
Tech
I realize car thefts are mostly crimes of opportunity, but any smart thief (a contradiction in terms ?), would realize it's dumb to take an EV. You're driving an internet connected car with GPS...

There was a case in Australia where a tennis star's tesla was stolen at gunpoint. He called police, used the app to limit the speed of the vehicle, and then waited for the police to pick him up. I imagine it would be similar in a Rivian, or a collection of Rivia...

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...tennis-star-phone-app-to-track-car-for-police

Aardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model 3
In the early Tesla days, there were thefts in Europe with thieves using FOB detectors and emulators. Tesla responded with an update that added PIN-to-drive, and the ability to turn off proximity lock/unlock. The latter feature is in our Rivians.
I think pin-to-drive would be a nice security feature in the Rivian, but turning off proximity sensing is the more valuable feature to me. I turn it off on every road trip in either the Tesla or Rivian. It also addresses a problem we had in the early Tesla days at a motel where the car was parked in front of our room. Every time I walked past the windows, I saw headlights. Turns out the car was close enough to sense the FOB. That was the night we invented the Altoids tin Faraday cage.

Technowizzard

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired Aerospace Engineer
I am just wondering if there are reports of people stealing Rivians. Certainly that can be carjacked but I was wondering about them being stolen outright.
I doubt if anyone is going to jack a 7,000 Lb vehicle unless they have a flatbed and know how to release the parking brake electronically. Most crooks are not that clever. Plus there’s a built in LoJack - look at your app and it will tell you where it is at any time.
Sponsored