Anyone know what this wire is?

Vegoelectric

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Volkswagen ID4
The terminal on the wire appears to be broken. Brake light, camera, rear window defroster, and antenna are all at that location on the R1T, unsure about R1S. A new terminal will need to be installed on that wire before it can be reconnected, and the other end will likely need to be removed from where it connects to. Can't tell it it is ring, fork, spade, pin, etc type connector from pics. If you are knowledgeable on replacing connectors, popping the headliner and finding the broken off terminal shouldn't be hard. Components to repair are cheap, this is a labor and investigation issue.
Sponsored

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
It connects to the flux-capacitor and will deliver lots of juice!

Seriously, I'd suspect its to either the rear window defogger or radio antenna -- which ever is embedded inside that window. My guess is if you can easily remove the headliner in there you'll see where it goes.

If ya can't open the headliner or are worried about breaking clips, take a picture of it and add it to an open ticket and let service track it down....

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
how strong is the charge when you put your tongue on it?

FooF

First Name
FooF
Threads
Reaction score
Website
foof.me
Vehicles
2022 R1S Launch Green
Occupation
DJ
Clubs

how strong is the charge when you put your tongue on it?
No way to tell strength of charge by taste. But you can test to see how spicy the electron sauce is and rate it like a salsa mild = 12v or under with ghost pepper = 400v or above (caution you may become a ghost).

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Thanks, all. I was thinking defroster too given proximity, but also was hoping that it's the antenna as @crashmtb suggested since the radio reception in the vehicle isn't great compared to my others. I know, I know - no one listens to the radio anymore, but I do!
Radio antenna leads are generally shielded coax to prevent interference from nearby electrical devices and to prevent the lead from becoming part of the antenna.

Put the defroster on and take a voltage reading from the lead it will only be 14v or less in any case so no need to worry about high voltage.

Sponsored

Jordman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328 D
Occupation
Retired
Radio antenna leads are generally shielded coax to prevent interference from nearby electrical devices and to prevent the lead from becoming part of the antenna.

Put the defroster on and take a voltage reading from the lead it will only be 14v or less in any case so no need to worry about high voltage.
It's likely related to the radio antenna that is in that window. It could be the power for a signal booster that many cars have these days.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

No way to tell strength of charge by taste. But you can test to see how spicy the electron sauce is and rate it like a salsa mild = 12v or under with ghost pepper = 400v or above (caution you may become a ghost).
I think the tongue test is calibrated to give 3 possible results: 9V, less than 9V, and greater than 9V. I think most people have done this :p with a 9V battery, so that’s our reference point.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Sorry about that - was trying to quickly snap a pic while waiting for the little one to get out of martial arts. Hopefully the below are better.

PXL_20230811_013406013.jpg

PXL_20230811_013344272.jpg
Further to previous guess - This looks like a spade connector or similar that got pushed wrong or otherwise bent enough to break off.

Buckets0fun

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
OF
Headliner is just held on by magnets. Could prob investigate a bit more or Rivian service could tell ya.
I hear this a lot, but after tugging on the headliner of the R1S I haven't been able to find this magic series of magnets. Here I was ready to have the entire interior redone in the whitest cow skin available.

Is this an R1T specific thing?
Sponsored