Sponsored

Anyone else have a disappointing delivery experience?

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I don’t think anything I said was entitled. My original title was “I had the worst delivery experience” meaning my worst experience. Not relating or comparing it to anyone else’s.
The only other “entitled” comment may have been when I wrote receiving the vehicle in that condition felt like complete disrespect. That was my opinion as a customer and as someone who knows what a delivery is suppose to look like (past car purchases). We are all different and get offended differently, it seems many on here were threatened and attacked by my few “passionate” remarks so I toned it down a little. In either case like @AlanP mentioned I definitely got my moneys worth on this post. Great to hear the different experiences and insights from others. Of course we are subject to hear more complaints than praises that’s just human nature but overall the consensus has been everyone loves the vehicles just understands SC’s need a lot of work to get where they should be.
If I recall your original title asked a question like "Anyone else have a delivery experience this bad?" It definitely was comparing because you did feel disrespected. Which I agree is your right to have that opinion. But if you put that out there the in the way you did, you can't honestly be surprised at the responses.

You accusing us of being "threatened" by reading your words is a deflection. Reading about your experience brought out responses related to HOW you voiced your opinions. Most of those people also said they would ask Rivian to fix those issues, myself included. But other people's words on a truck forum don't threaten me in any way. Everyone has opinions and we share them here. It's just an internet forum.

FWIW I hope you give Rivian a chance to fix the issues because they make some pretty amazing vehicles. But if you are expecting them to be something other than what they are - a very new EV manufacturer who is still figuring things out, then you will probably be disappointed over and over with them. We are going through that experience with them. If that is the case you may be happier waiting until they have many of these things figured out.

There are lots of people who have had issues, and lots of people LUCKY enough to have avoided that so far. In my case my delivery was by far the best experience I have every had and the truck has had zero issues through 4900 miles (knock on wood). But I do know I am lucky because most Rivian owners have had to deal with service already. There is no denying they have things to work on.

Either way I hope you end up with what makes you happy.

rso544

First Name
RS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Quad
I hear what you’re saying but I don’t think I’ve experienced the Rivian to even make that decision at this point in time. I may love the Rivian once I finally get behind the wheel and never look back… that is my hope. I’ve honestly needed a break from the luxury and have wanted something a little more “adventure” or rugged like. I just want the car to feel new and not used… or atleast like someone went joyriding with it and it’s like here you go sir enjoy the vehicle we sure as hell did. lol
I had a 22 VW Atlas R-line (highest end) and its trim pieces would come loose and its bumper protector was cheap plastic that wouldn't stay put and it had all sorts of ticky tack stuff It drove me so crazy that I realized I was going to be miserable for years driving this thing. I just didn't like it. I didn't like my viewing angles. Was made crazy with the infotainment system. Found adjusting the AC to be an endless manual chore. On and on and on.

I was driving myself insane with the things I would notice. I traded it in when I found a Rivian on resale all of the sudden spec'd exactly like I wanted it. Two weeks later I am in this EV. I came without the three years of waiting and the build up. I just see the R1S with fresh eyes and without layered expectations.

Above all, be happy! If this car is going to drive you nuts you should get the car that makes you super excited to get in it every morning. If that's a Rivian, awesome. If it's something else, that's great too. What you shouldn't do is find yourself mad at Rivian, the Service Center, this forum, etc. And you should approach Rivian as a startup and accept that it isn't MB or BMW. For example, the sound system kinda sucks a bit. And my wife hears a whistling noise that I can live with. The screens need more development and the music integration is lame. But I am willing to live with what I can't change and wait for things I'd like to improve. If you can't, I get it. But don't buy a Rivian looking for things to nitpick, because you'll find a lot and miss out on the fun.

OP
OP
Zeusy Zeus

Zeusy Zeus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

If I recall your original title asked a question like "Anyone else have a delivery experience this bad?" It definitely was comparing because you did feel disrespected. Which I agree is your right to have that opinion. But if you put that out there the in the way you did, you can't honestly be surprised at the responses.

You accusing us of being "threatened" by reading your words is a deflection. Reading about your experience brought out responses related to HOW you voiced your opinions. Most of those people also said they would ask Rivian to fix those issues, myself included. But other people's words on a truck forum don't threaten me in any way. Everyone has opinions and we share them here. It's just an internet forum.

FWIW I hope you give Rivian a chance to fix the issues because they make some pretty amazing vehicles. But if you are expecting them to be something other than what they are - a very new EV manufacturer who is still figuring things out, then you will probably be disappointed over and over with them. We are going through that experience with them. If that is the case you may be happier waiting until they have many of these things figured out.

There are lots of people who have had issues, and lots of people LUCKY enough to have avoided that so far. In my case my delivery was by far the best experience I have every had and the truck has had zero issues through 4900 miles (knock on wood). But I do know I am lucky because most Rivian owners have had to deal with service already. There is no denying they have things to work on.

Either way I hope you end up with what makes you happy.
Thank you and I appreciate your viewpoints as much as the discussion about the vehicle. I want to continue with Rivian and I asked to be placed into another VIN. Whether or not they accommodate that we will have to see but my view of this particular vehicle might be a little tainted at this point. I also asked for a loaner in the meantime and I really hope they provide it so I can really experience the vehicle and get past my previous experience with delivery. We will see I’ll definitely let everyone here know how it all worked out in the end. Thanks and happy holidays to you and everyone else commenting on these forums to help others like myself.

OP
OP
Zeusy Zeus

Zeusy Zeus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I had a 22 VW Atlas R-line (highest end) and its trim pieces would come loose and its bumper protector was cheap plastic that wouldn't stay put and it had all sorts of ticky tack stuff It drove me so crazy that I realized I was going to be miserable for years driving this thing. I just didn't like it. I didn't like my viewing angles. Was made crazy with the infotainment system. Found adjusting the AC to be an endless manual chore. On and on and on.

I was driving myself insane with the things I would notice. I traded it in when I found a Rivian on resale all of the sudden spec'd exactly like I wanted it. Two weeks later I am in this EV. I came without the three years of waiting and the build up. I just see the R1S with fresh eyes and without layered expectations.

Above all, be happy! If this car is going to drive you nuts you should get the car that makes you super excited to get in it every morning. If that's a Rivian, awesome. If it's something else, that's great too. What you shouldn't do is find yourself mad at Rivian, the Service Center, this forum, etc. And you should approach Rivian as a startup and accept that it isn't MB or BMW. For example, the sound system kinda sucks a bit. And my wife hears a whistling noise that I can live with. The screens need more development and the music integration is lame. But I am willing to live with what I can't change and wait for things I'd like to improve. If you can't, I get it. But don't buy a Rivian looking for things to nitpick, because you'll find a lot and miss out on the fun.
Hey thanks for your response and I agree life is too short to nitpick everything to pieces. Honestly I was willing to live with a lot of issues and I was already expecting them like the gaps everywhere. I guess the deal breaker for me was the marks and dings on the vehicle which for me as someone who details his vehicle religiously was a major let down. I’m going to try and get past this and hope my next experience is better. If it isn’t oh well this brand isn’t for everyone but I really hope it works out because I want it to be.

Sponsored

Kgautam28

First Name
Gautam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Quad, Mustang mache GT, Range Rover Velar
Occupation
Software
This is why Rivian is not calling themselves a luxury brand. Some people have unrealistic expecations because of the cost of the vehicle.
Luxury has nothing to do with attention to detail and product finish ( not quality, but scratches or clean)

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
This is why Rivian is not calling themselves a luxury brand. Some people have unrealistic expecations because of the cost of the vehicle.
No new vehicle should be delivered this way, luxury or not. That’s not a “unrealistic expectation.” You’re just victim blaming.

EmptyTea

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T DM, Tesla MYP, Genesis GV60
Occupation
Finance
Clubs

I will do me. Everyone’s entitled to their opinions. I’m not comfortable with the experience I had and wanted to share it to hopefully help others but also gather opinions and suggestions.

Unfortunately the reality I received was sarcasm and keyboard warriors calling me a diva. That is what’s actually a “bit ridiculous”.

I mean it was the worst in my experience ever buying a car that’s just the truth of the matter. The guide thing I feel ultimately displays their level of commitment to their customers. Right now it seems they’re more wrapped up at delivering the vehicles and just getting them off their lots than making customers feel appreciated. To me no matter how small it is I want to feel that Rivian values me as a customer. Didn’t feel that initially.
Sorry, to hear about your negative experience. We all have different levels of tolerance for these kind of things so no one can really tell how another should feel. I think you hit the nail on the head in that they should make you feel valued as a customer. I am going through this as well, was supposed to pick up my truck this past weekend but got the message from the SC saying there was a possible water leakage. Had some text exchanges with my guide and he definitely had a change in attitude when I showed my disappointment. That is where I think the experience can be improved. We all know ish happens but how you handle the interaction with the customer is the key.

SteveInBend

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 El Cap R1T
Occupation
Retired
After 8 pages of replies - The answer is some "yes", some "no".

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
This is why I can't take some of these rants seriously.

The total annual production capacity of the Normal plant for R1 vehicles is currently 65k. It is not, and has never been, and is not ever planned to be, 175k. Rivian will be reconfiguring the Normal plant in 2024 to increase the R1 capacity to 85k.

If you don't know that, then how in hell can you know better than Rivian what the "adventure demand" is?
Rivian claimed in their IPO filing that the plant is “currently equipped to produce up to 150,000 vehicles annually”, with plans to increase it to 200K by 2023. From page 119 of their S-1:

The factory building covers approximately 3.3 million square feet and is currently equipped to produce up to 150,000 vehicles annually. We believe that we will be able to increase the annual production capacity of the Normal Factory up to 200,000 vehicles by 2023 as we introduce additional R1 platform variants and expand the facility. Over the next couple of years, we expect to establish additional domestic production capacity in order to support our product development roadmap and fulfill future anticipated demand.
https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1874178/000119312521289903/d157488ds1.htm

Rivian’s own paperwork claimed the 150K number. That’s where it comes from.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
I can't wait to hear the story of their first carnal knowledge experience..

Placer Paul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5 and Subaru Outback
Occupation
Retired police officer and attorney
They need to seriously improve on the delivery process. Picking up at the Miami SC was a big disappointment. I went to pick up my R1S this last Friday and it had all kinds of marks, scratches, water spots you name it. Of course tons of gaps everywhere. Horrible quality control and the SC delivering the car in that condition seemed unreal to me. I didn’t leave with the vehicle as I refused to accept the car in that condition.

I offered them the chance to make things right because I believe in Rivian and it’s future. I told the SC lead that next time I come back if the vehicle isn’t at the condition it should be at pickup that I’m moving on from Rivian. Guide didn’t reach out the next day I had to reach out myself which felt really strange. The guide said it would take over a week to get the car where it needs to be. I told them both they are tarnishing the Rivian brand name and that these types of experiences are going to scare potential customers. They both agreed they dropped the ball here and admitted that the company is not where it needs to be in the delivery process but are doing everything in their power to improve.

Here’s a few pictures of the issues I encountered.

Update: I can’t believe the responses I’m reading on here… it’s really sad tbh. Everyone ganging up on me because I’m sharing my experience on delivery is just disappointing to say the least. As someone else mentioned on here there’s definitely too much drinking of the koolaid going on.

If you’re trying to push people away from this brand you’re doing a really good job at it. Like the saying goes “Thinking is difficult that’s why some people judge”

Bottom line this isn’t a cheap vehicle by any means no one should have to settle for an unfinished product or a product with defects. Just because some are content doesn’t mean others should be.

“In either case like @AlanP mentioned I definitely got my moneys worth on this post. Great to hear the different experiences and insights from others. Of course we are subject to hear more complaints than praises that’s just human nature but overall the consensus has been everyone loves the vehicles just understands SC’s need a lot of work to get where they need to be.”
I took delivery at the Sacramento SC on Nov. 10.

The service was immediate, friendly and well-informed. We had a buddy of mine with us who is an R1T owner and a very experienced car dealer. his sole job was to pour over the exterior and interior to look for issues. Between me, my wife and my buddy we found good fitment throughout and three minor blemishes.

I have my service appointment in a couple of weeks, have received no less than three phone calls confirming what needs to be addressed and stating that they will fix all of them.

This is what most folks experience, though of course "most" will never be everyone.

Sorry for your experience; I'd be upset, too. But stay on it and I'm confident corrections will be done.

sfvR1S

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Quad Adventure 2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
Occupation
CRE
Clubs

Everyone is entitled to their own expectations.

My R1S wasn't recently washed and there was a smudge on the headliner when I picked it up. There are probably more issues I haven't found yet. Hopefully I won't have any issues that's going to prevent me from driving it.

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Sorry for your experience; I'd be upset, too. But stay on it and I'm confident corrections will be done.
The R1T is put together a lot better than the R1S, in my experience. A year later, after multiple service center visits, I still have issues. Actually, the app won’t even let me schedule repairs (even five months out as per usual) as the local center is booked out until kingdom come. Refusing delivery was the smart move, in my opinion.