Sponsored

Anyone else completely disappointed that MaxPack battery not available until 2023?

cmiller

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Bronco
Occupation
Nurse
Me2. I am hoping by the time I have lost enough range to regret not getting a Max pack (may be in 10 years), $10K could get me a new lighter battery with more range.
yea but right off the bat you are already taking a hit on range due to driving habits and weather. Just like mpg in ICE vehicles, EV estimates are tested in perfect conditions.
Sponsored

Outdoorsyish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and Subaru Ascent
I’m a relatively recent pre-order holder, reserving a max pack R1T in May 2021 with an expected delivery 2nd half 2023. The recent Reddit poll of expected delivery dates demonstrated that I would have received an Oct-Dec 2022 delivery for a large pack R1T, and 1st half 2023 for a R1S, assuming the same preorder date.

After some soul-searching, our family discussed what are primary goals and needs are for the truck. The 400 mile range would have been nice a few times a year, and decreased a bit of range anxiety. But, this vehicle will mostly be a daily driver, and for weekend trips that will typically be less than 150 miles round trip.

This is a company I’ve followed for years, and, despite not pulling the trigger on a launch edition, I want to be an earlier adopter and do not want to risk waiting an extra 2 years for the vehicle. To me, getting into the truck sooner is much more important than range I’ll rarely need (and which we already have in another ICE vehicle). As others have pointed out, a lot will change in the next 2 years. Different vehicle models, improved battery tech, more charging stations, etc. I would rather have the R1T now (or sooon), even if it’s not the range I originally set my mind on.

So, we just changed our original max pack order to a large R1T, new delivery estimate unknown but at least likely sooner than the Max (hopefully late 2022, maybe?), and added a new R1S reservation just to have another dog in the fight (with a hope that range for it will increase in the next 2 years).

For those of you who really plan to use the max pack for towing, though, I’m really sorry the same decision-tree I used won’t really be an option for you.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
yea but right off the bat you are already taking a hit on range due to driving habits and weather. Just like mpg in ICE vehicles, EV estimates are tested in perfect conditions.
Even a 200 (100 in bad conditions) mile range would be more than enough for me. Frankly, I shouldn’t even be buying a car. Both me and my wife are sitting home most of the time and for the next 10 years, we will have an ICE to cover the short comings of the EV. The only thing that my new vehicle will add to the functionality we currently have would be towing capability which even with Max pack, I am afraid may not be as good of an ICE but that is any EV. My use case may not be close to average here. If I lived in Maine, I would definitely go for Max pack.

cmiller

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Bronco
Occupation
Nurse
Even a 200 (100 in bad conditions) mile range would be more than enough for me. Frankly, I shouldn’t even be buying a car. Both me and my wife are sitting home most of the time and for the next 10 years, we will have an ICE to cover the short comings of the EV. The only thing that my new vehicle will add to the functionality we currently have would be towing capability which even with Max pack, I am afraid may not be as good of an ICE but that is any EV. My use case may not be close to average here. If I lived in Maine, I would definitely go for Max pack.
I keep going back and forth and will probably just drop down to the large pack. I am not towing and the road trips I take are a few hundred miles. Plus as higher range vehicles come out I will probably upgrade down the road. I do however have the explorer package so if that alone is going to push me back another 18 months I might as well just keep the max pack. Time will tell I guess

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

This argument doesn't carry water. Only 50% of the Rivian models have Max Pack as an option, so a 20% take rate overall indicates a 40% take rate on R1T. Barely a majority. Rivian trotting out "Max pack is not that popular" is a sham.
You sure have some funny math going on. I'm pretty sure Rivian said 20% because its about 20%. And I'm sure some people went with the R1T over the R1S because of the max pack availability, and some R1S people would get a max pack if they could (probably about 20%, judging by the R1T numbers, unless you wan to subtract the people who converted to R1T for the max pack, so lets do some more funny math and say only 10% wanted it).

Sponsored

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

I keep going back and forth and will probably just drop down to the large pack. I am not towing and the road trips I take are a few hundred miles. Plus as higher range vehicles come out I will probably upgrade down the road. I do however have the explorer package so if that alone is going to push me back another 18 months I might as well just keep the max pack. Time will tell I guess
Depends on how quickly you'd like to get the vehicle. You certainly have two options that put you toward the end of the line. If you choose to go with the smaller "large pack", you'll save $10,000. If you are doing to speed up the time frame in which you will get it, then can donate $5,500 back to get the Adventure Package instead of the Explore Package. Then you'd have the optimum choices for the earliest delivery date possible. You come out $4,500 ahead and likely get it a year sooner. If you really don't want the Explore Package, then yes, probably best to just keep the Max pack as either option likely pushes you back to late 2023.

I was going to go with the Explore Package too as the only part of the Adventure Package that appeals to me is the automatic Tonneau cover. However, after hearing of all the potential issues with the automatic version, would certainly have gone for the Explore package if not for the delayed delivery date. Sooner is better for my needs, so ponying up the $5,500 to hopefully get it in 2022 instead.

Estolworthy

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti and Kia
Occupation
LEO
This is the first I heard that they'd only be building Large Pack R1T in 2022. Really wanted the MaxPack for longer range.

But I do not want to wait another 18 months or longer for my Rivian. I'm very disappointed in Rivian for not getting this information out sooner.

I'm going to take the range hit and go with the Large Pack. If you were holding out for the MaxPack, what have you decided?

My pre-order is July 2019. If I wait for MaxPack, that's 4 years! No thanks. "first half of 2023" means, what, August-September-October 2023?
Screen Shot 2021-12-31 at 11.27.00 AM.png
I’m in your boat. July 2019 preorder and max pack. I am extremely upset with Rivian and why they don’t respect the order of preorders. Seems like they are punishing those that have been with them for a really long time. They aren’t even offering free charging or anything else for those that have been with them for over two years. It doesn’t make sense that someone who orders a Rivian two years after me can get the truck about a year before me. I’m undecided on what to do. When they call in January I will definitely have a lot to say regarding them keeping me as a customer. I passed up the launch edition to get the max pack and now they are saying I can change my order to a large pack, which is basically the launch edition, and take delivery earlier, but not as early as the launch edition. It’s frustrating and to top it off I waited 2.5 years since preorder to test drive the truck and now I would have to wait about 1.5 years since test drive to possibly get the max pack. I understand there is a supply and demand issue, but don’t penalize the early adopters and allow “cutsies” to those that order after the early adopters.

ruawahoo2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Palisade and CX-5
I want a Max Pack because I live in Utah and you’ve got to drive a while just to get to the great off-road trails. One of my goals is the White Rim Trail at Canyonlands National Park. The Large battery pack is just not enough.

But the biggest debate for me in this dilemma is whether the EV tax credits will be adjusted in 2023 under the current BBA proposal. If it did, then that makes the Max Pack basically a $17,500 purchase ($10K for the pack minus the loss of the $7.5K tax credit due to the MSRP cap at $80K).

This is what is making me just get the truck and forget the max pack option.

I am curious if anyone has a feeling on this: does the risk of a possibility of a change to the EV tax credit as proposed in Congress outweigh the potential reward of waiting until 2023? I’m thinking it does. You?

cmiller

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Bronco
Occupation
Nurse
Depends on how quickly you'd like to get the vehicle. You certainly have two options that put you toward the end of the line. If you choose to go with the smaller "large pack", you'll save $10,000. If you are doing to speed up the time frame in which you will get it, then can donate $5,500 back to get the Adventure Package instead of the Explore Package. Then you'd have the optimum choices for the earliest delivery date possible. You come out $4,500 ahead and likely get it a year sooner. If you really don't want the Explore Package, then yes, probably best to just keep the Max pack as either option likely pushes you back to late 2023.

I was going to go with the Explore Package too as the only part of the Adventure Package that appeals to me is the automatic Tonneau cover. However, after hearing of all the potential issues with the automatic version, would certainly have gone for the Explore package if not for the delayed delivery date. Sooner is better for my needs, so ponying up the $5,500 to hopefully get it in 2022 instead.
This is the Ford bronco reservation crap all over again where you have pick and choose and settle for something you originally didn't want.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

This is the Ford bronco reservation crap all over again where you have pick and choose and settle for something you originally didn't want.
Were you expecting a startup to avoid challenges legacy automakers face?

I know and understand people being upset that the max pack isn't initially available, but it is a new car company, when making a reservation you have to expect some changes/challenges. Maybe I just haven't been following closely until the last 6 months because I was expecting changes. Has Ford even announced full pricing for the Lightning, other than some dealers know it will cost $10k more than Ford thinks? Tesla, is the cybertruck coming, what does it look like, what are the specs? Chevy/GMC, maybe we will know something is a couple days. Which electric truck comes to market first, Ram or Toyota?

Sponsored

cmiller

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Bronco
Occupation
Nurse
Were you expecting a startup to avoid challenges legacy automakers face?

I know and understand people being upset that the max pack isn't initially available, but it is a new car company, when making a reservation you have to expect some changes/challenges. Maybe I just haven't been following closely until the last 6 months because I was expecting changes. Has Ford even announced full pricing for the Lightning, other than some dealers know it will cost $10k more than Ford thinks? Tesla, is the cybertruck coming, what does it look like, what are the specs? Chevy/GMC, maybe we will know something is a couple days. Which electric truck comes to market first, Ram or Toyota?
Of course there will be hiccups. I am not an early reservation holder, but for rivian to screw over those that have been waiting years is kinda messed up

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Of course there will be hiccups. I am not an early reservation holder, but for rivian to screw over those that have been waiting years is kinda messed up
It would be nice for them do something for the early max pack reservation holders, I agree, but I am just not sure what. A discount, something included? And if you give the early max pack holders something, other people will want something also, or think if they sign up for max pack now, they also get something for free.

cmiller

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Bronco
Occupation
Nurse
It would be nice for them do something for the early max pack reservation holders, I agree, but I am just not sure what. A discount, something included? And if you give the early max pack holders something, other people will want something also, or think if they sign up for max pack now, they also get something for free.
The whole reservation system is messed up and it's not just with rivian. The reservation system is here for good as more and more car companies adopt it. Only bright side with rivian is that they won't tack on $10k or more like dealerships are doing ripping off their customers

OP
OP
orionexp

orionexp

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Adventure
Occupation
retired
I’m a relatively recent pre-order holder, reserving a max pack R1T in May 2021 with an expected delivery 2nd half 2023. The recent Reddit poll of expected delivery dates demonstrated that I would have received an Oct-Dec 2022 delivery for a large pack R1T, and 1st half 2023 for a R1S, assuming the same preorder date.

After some soul-searching, our family discussed what are primary goals and needs are for the truck. The 400 mile range would have been nice a few times a year, and decreased a bit of range anxiety. But, this vehicle will mostly be a daily driver, and for weekend trips that will typically be less than 150 miles round trip.

This is a company I’ve followed for years, and, despite not pulling the trigger on a launch edition, I want to be an earlier adopter and do not want to risk waiting an extra 2 years for the vehicle. To me, getting into the truck sooner is much more important than range I’ll rarely need (and which we already have in another ICE vehicle). As others have pointed out, a lot will change in the next 2 years. Different vehicle models, improved battery tech, more charging stations, etc. I would rather have the R1T now (or sooon), even if it’s not the range I originally set my mind on.

So, we just changed our original max pack order to a large R1T, new delivery estimate unknown but at least likely sooner than the Max (hopefully late 2022, maybe?), and added a new R1S reservation just to have another dog in the fight (with a hope that range for it will increase in the next 2 years).

For those of you who really plan to use the max pack for towing, though, I’m really sorry the same decision-tree I used won’t really be an option for you.
I’m feeling the

OP
OP
orionexp

orionexp

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Adventure
Occupation
retired
I’m feeling the
I’m felling the Same way. Changed mine to large. It’ll be fine and hopefully get the truck by end of summer.
Sponsored