Sponsored

Anyone able to use gear tunnel and tailgate soft buttons?

Jerm

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Rivian R1T R1S Anyone able to use gear tunnel and tailgate soft buttons? 1687805519961

I'm talking about the gear tunnel and tailgate buttons- one would think that pressing these would mean they would either fully open or I'd be able to press this button, get out, and open the respective door. They don't, and I can't. Maybe if I'm parked at a strong incline, the tailgate *might* drop on its own. Otherwise, just like the gear tunnel doors, they re-lock within a second and when I jump out of the vehicle, I have to use the hard buttons on the bed anyway to re-release the lock.
My question is this: Are they supposed to fully open to be considered functioning correctly? If not, I don't know much point for the on-screen buttons.
Sponsored

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
My tailgate drops. My tunnel doors do not. They release but if you are not standing next to them they will lock back up. I believe this is intentional. I just wish they would give you 10 seconds to open them. Well known issue from what I have read her..

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

To add to @Brewbud if your tailgate isn't dropping the SC can do an adjustment. Gear tunnel doesn't open on its own by design.

LivingInKaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Green Forest Edge
Occupation
Own Fabrication Company
Clubs

I honestly think the gear tunnel soft button was meant for if you were sitting in the driver's seat, but someone else exterior needed to open it you could push it and let them in- which is silly if you think about it - they could push the physical button just as well.
Edit- I will say though, there are some features that I just don't think were thought through at all.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I honestly think the gear tunnel soft button was meant for if you were sitting in the driver's seat, but someone else exterior needed to open it you could push it and let them in- which is silly if you think about it - they could push the physical button just as well.
My toddler cannot reach the buttons on the top of the bed rails.

Sponsored

LivingInKaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Own Fabrication Company
Clubs

My toddler cannot reach the buttons on the top of the bed rails.
Can your toddler reach the top of the gear tunnel door???? It's pretty high.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Edit- I will say though, there are some features that I just don't think were thought through at all.
I think the idea is you are supposed to simultaneously touch the soft button with your big toe while stretching over the back seat reaching out the back door and opening the gear tunnel....

Joking aside I have had my hard buttons stop working for periods of time so having an alternative is always a good idea even if it requires two people or being a contortionist. Obviously we have redundancy in the app now as well.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
I discovered a similar annoyance with the turn signals. I had to fix some wiring on my horse trailer and if I leave the turn signal on and get out of the truck it turns it off almost immediately. Obviously no one at Rivian ever did a trailer light check by themselves. I really prefer a truck that does exactly what I tell it to do, rather than assuming what should happen when I get out of the truck.

My tailgate does drop with the soft button, I do not think I ever tried the gear tunnel buttons on that screen.

My truck has now been at the service center for 5 days, after waiting 7 weeks for an appointment, and one of the issues is that the frunk does not always close automatically. On that screen it often tells me obstruction detected.

Sponsored

LivingInKaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Own Fabrication Company
Clubs

I think the idea is you are supposed to simultaneously touch the soft button with your big toe while stretching over the back seat reaching out the back door and opening the gear tunnel....

Joking aside I have had my hard buttons stop working for periods of time so having an alternative is always a good idea even if it requires two people or being a contortionist. Obviously we have redundancy in the app now as well.
You could always send the dog out to open it up :p
Good to have finally put a face to a name on Saturday!

cjust2006

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adv Limestone
Occupation
IT Analyst
Hit soft button for someone else's convenience outside the truck. Luckily, for when you're the person that needs into those spaces, there's buttons on the outside of the truck for this............................

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
1687805519961.png

I'm talking about the gear tunnel and tailgate buttons- one would think that pressing these would mean they would either fully open or I'd be able to press this button, get out, and open the respective door. They don't, and I can't. Maybe if I'm parked at a strong incline, the tailgate *might* drop on its own. Otherwise, just like the gear tunnel doors, they re-lock within a second and when I jump out of the vehicle, I have to use the hard buttons on the bed anyway to re-release the lock.
My question is this: Are they supposed to fully open to be considered functioning correctly? If not, I don't know much point for the on-screen buttons.
Are you trying to see if the latest update has a bug in it? Way diff if they always worked for you and now don't, or is this your first try?

Either way for ref with software driven features put your SW load in the details.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I discovered a similar annoyance with the turn signals. I had to fix some wiring on my horse trailer and if I leave the turn signal on and get out of the truck it turns it off almost immediately. Obviously no one at Rivian ever did a trailer light check by themselves. I really prefer a truck that does exactly what I tell it to do, rather than assuming what should happen when I get out of the truck.

My tailgate does drop with the soft button, I do not think I ever tried the gear tunnel buttons on that screen.

My truck has now been at the service center for 5 days, after waiting 7 weeks for an appointment, and one of the issues is that the frunk does not always close automatically. On that screen it often tells me obstruction detected.
Why don’t you turn the hazards on instead?

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Why don’t you turn the hazards on instead?
That does not let me verify the right and left signals. I had to splice in 7 new wires on the trailer because a rodent had chewed wires and shorted them all together. The trailer also has a break away switch and had a dead battery that had to be replaced. That wiring was completely messed up too, and the battery on the trailer got shorted.

Rivian R1T R1S Anyone able to use gear tunnel and tailgate soft buttons? IMG_0489
Sponsored