Sponsored

Any idea how configuration updates are going to work?

MisterTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 745e
Right now when you click Restart Configuration, the website warns you, "Your previous choices will be cleared if you continue and save a configuration. Changing your configuration may affect your delivery timing." As Rivian reveals additional features that you can add to your configuration, are we going to loose our position in line or possible loose our LE configuration? Have they mentioned anything regarding future updates to the configurator?
Sponsored

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
The website says:
"
Want to restart your configuration?
You can switch your model or choose different options at any time without affecting your priority for delivery — note that some options may be produced later and affect when deliveries begin. "

The warning is a bit out of sync with that, but I think this message is more clear. You won't lose your place in line, but if you choose an option with a later delivery, it may hold you up.

I'm also expecting them to refine the functionality over the coming months, so you can just modify your config, instead of starting over. There is nothing telling me that, but it would be good design practice.

OP
OP
MisterTea

MisterTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 745e
I'm also expecting them to refine the functionality over the coming months, so you can just modify your config, instead of starting over. There is nothing telling me that, but it would be good design practice.
This is what I was thinking too.

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
They also added this to the website pretty recently:

I didn’t see some accessories in the configurator, when will I be able to add them to my order?
When it’s time to accept orders and finalize your configuration, we’ll make sure you have the opportunity to adjust options or add available accessories and gear like the Quick Connect Crossbars and the spare tire.

GoWest!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & R1S
Hope everyone has spare change. We may be nickle and dimed all the way to $90k or higher.

I mean, an adventure vehicle kinda needs a spare tire to start!

Sponsored

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Hope everyone has spare change. We may be nickle and dimed all the way to $90k or higher.

I was scared of that. If I were to configure what I had imagined a few months ago, thats $5k for the kitchen, $2,500 for the blue, $1,000 or so for the crossbars/gear rack, $1,000 for the spare... maybe they will have some roof options come up as well.

Then again, it could be worse. It's nowhere near the $112,000 launch edition hummer ev.

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
The 20" AT tire retails for about $292 and the wheel and jack? Wow $1000 might be a deal.

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
The 20" AT tire retails for about $292 and the wheel and jack? Wow $1000 might be a deal.
I’m obviously just guessing at the cost. But generally off-road wheels like Method, are $250-350, and a basic jack is $50-100, plus maybe they could work something like using the air height adjustment of the vehicle to remove the requirement for a traditional jack but instead use a fixed platform and the vehicle jacks itself up, you place the platform under it, then it lifts up the tire you select with the air spring.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I’m obviously just guessing at the cost. But generally off-road wheels like Method, are $250-350, and a basic jack is $50-100, plus maybe they could work something like using the air height adjustment of the vehicle to remove the requirement for a traditional jack but instead use a fixed platform and the vehicle jacks itself up, you place the platform under it, then it lifts up the tire you select with the air spring.
The OEM Pirelli tires designed specifically for the Rivian will be closer to $500 if they are in line with the other Pirelli OEM offerings.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer

I've reached $95K and still want to add the crossbars and removable roof. I have run out of nickels and dimes. But now my Hummer reservation could beat the delivery time for my Rivian, we shall see.

Sponsored

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
I've reached $95K and still want to add the crossbars and removable roof. I have run out of nickels and dimes. But now my Hummer reservation could beat the delivery time for my Rivian, we shall see.
I’m in a similar boat, but cybertruck not hummer. As I’m sure a few other rivian reservation holders are. On paper nothing holds a candle to the range per dollar of the cybertruck, but time will tell. It’s gonna be an interesting summer, as the official details roll out for the production cybertruck and rivian reservation holders start to get an idea on delivery timelines.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I like @jimcgov3 's idea about an inflatable airbag/jack for either tire issues or helping to get out of "stuck" situations off road, considering we'll have built in compressors at our disposal. Could be used in conjunction with air suspension, or without it.

I agree on aftermarket tire/wheel for us R1S buyers that might need a full size spare. I also like this carrier that @azbill found, that could move out of the way for the rear hatch & tailgate, as well as be removable for times you dont want/need to carry a full size spare.

https://wilcooffroad.com/shop/hitchgate-solo/

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
I’m in a similar boat, but cybertruck not hummer. As I’m sure a few other rivian reservation holders are. On paper nothing holds a candle to the range per dollar of the cybertruck, but time will tell. It’s gonna be an interesting summer, as the official details roll out for the production cybertruck and rivian reservation holders start to get an idea on delivery timelines.
I agree Cyber Truck has better range, but I see two downsides to it:

1) It is fugly, and I just cannot get over that
2) I do not trust that Tesla can build a true off road machine, they already have defective suspension parts on Models S and X that have been recalled in China and probably will soon be recalled in the US as well. If your suspension cannot hold up on the road, it will never hold up off road.

The Hummer reveal also convinced me that I really want a removable roof. I am also beginning to think the Rivian looks rather plain, as compared to the Hummer, but I can live with it.

Two Hummer features that I really like:
1) Rock sliders
2) GM Multipro tailgate

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
The OEM Pirelli tires designed specifically for the Rivian will be closer to $500 if they are in line with the other Pirelli OEM offerings.
I looked up the tire at a few shops and $292 is accurate. They don't say Rivian is the only difference.