Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1S · Launch Edition Sport Utility 4D
Occupation
Retired
  • Banned
Curious of actual and anticipated maintenance costs as our vehicles age. Would really like to hear from those forum members with actual firsthand knowledge which maybe limited as I am unsure of how many have accumulated sufficiently high mileage. Realize tires will be one item but also suspect brakes (mitigated by regenerative braking) and suspension components given the dynamic demands asked of our vehicles and their considerable weight may become expensive tasks.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Main [SCAM ACCOUNT]

Banned
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1S · Launch Edition Sport Utility 4D
Occupation
Retired
  • Banned
Curious of actual and anticipated maintenance costs as our vehicles age. Would really like to hear from those forum members with actual firsthand knowledge which maybe limited as I am unsure of how many have accumulated sufficiently high mileage. Realize tires will be one item but also suspect brakes (mitigated by regenerative braking) and suspension components given the dynamic demands asked of our vehicles and their considerable weight may become expensive tasks.
Appreciate the feedback in advance

Joe Hoffman

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S & 2013 CMAX Energi Plugin
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Perhaps the lack of responses is itself informational.

I don't have enough mileage to comment on my Rivian, however I have an 11yr old Ford plugin hybrid with over 100k miles. Brakes have zero wear (says the dealer) which I attribute to regenerative braking. I expect the same and even more from my Rivian, which has much more powerful regenerative braking.

Another way to word the OP question: Has any Rivian owner done any maintenenance tasks which were not covered by warranty?

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Rivian is too new to get a lot of feedback here. Given the length of time they've been around; Tesla would be a good indicator of what to expect. Obviously, they are intended for different uses but a very general idea could be arrived at.

Sponsored

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
I've owned my R1T for 20 months. To date, my total maintenance has been a tire rotation, installing better wiper blades, and refilling wiper fluid. I expect this upcoming year will include new cabin air filter and a tire rotation.

Edit: Forgot to add that I also needed to dry lube the louvers in the grill to get rid of the coffin sound.

Last edited:

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

From over a quarter million miles in Tesla's, I can confidently say, it's going to be the weird stuff. Anything that moves should be kept an eye on regardless of what Rivian says. Examples:
1. Latches lubrication; tunnel, gate, hood
2. Drivetrain grease for splines/joints

Things not to worry about:
1. Battery, with proper thermal maintenance
2. Motors, pretty much a solved problem, we know how to make them reliable
3. Brakes, Regen is going to push pads so far out that you may sell the car before needing them

Out of warranty, I had the MCU chip replaced because Tesla didn't think to put in something automotive grade and consider the write cycle counts with so much logging. Stupid door handles; so sexy yet so complex. Resistive heater for battery. Wiper motor, headlights, steering shaft, and horn (half my fault).

Electric vehicles just inherently have less stuff to go wrong. But they do have new stuff that can go wrong. And in Tesla's case, a lot of stuff that goes wrong is because they don't consider the environments outside of California. Steering shaft for example, or frunk latch lubricantion.

Nine_One_Six_R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Clubs

Electric vehicles just inherently have less stuff to go wrong. But they do have new stuff that can go wrong. And in Tesla's case, a lot of stuff that goes wrong is because they don't consider the environments outside of California. Steering shaft for example, or frunk latch lubricantion.
True, the thing that worries me the most is the Air Suspension after 5 years of ownership. I know in Mercedes Air Suspension models that has been a historical low reliability problem.

Do Teslas have Air Suspension in their higher models? How's the reliability of their system has been?

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

True, the thing that worries me the most is the Air Suspension after 5 years of ownership. I know in Mercedes Air Suspension models that has been a historical low reliability problem.

Do Teslas have Air Suspension in their higher models? How's the reliability of their system has been?
I deliberately never got air suspension on any of my Teslas because back then it was sourced from Mercedes and the going cost was $1800 per axle to repair. And honestly, if I had suspension problems on the Rivian after 5 years, I'd do what I did to my Lexus and just put coilovers on.

Nine_One_Six_R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Clubs

I deliberately never got air suspension on any of my Teslas because back then it was sourced from Mercedes and the going cost was $1800 per axle to repair. And honestly, if I had suspension problems on the Rivian after 5 years, I'd do what I did to my Lexus and just put coilovers on.
what kind of hit to your wallet was that conversion from Air Suspension to Coilovers?

Sponsored

ndmiller

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Incoming
Occupation
Retailler
Clubs

Tires, Brake Fluid, Wipers & Washer Fluid, Brake fluid every 2 years, and lubing all moving hinges My door knobs were packed with grease at delivery. At about 60-80K the gas struts tailgate & frunk may need replacing (amazon) as they'll get weak. Keep it clean to see any leaks. Suspension seems beastly but the air shocks who knows?

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
Looks like OP was banned!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.