OP
shrink

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

Well, first minor hiccup in this journey.

I got a ride from a friend of a friend from Kona to Hilo this morning. Booked a cheap kamaaina (Hawaii resident) hotel room. I’m annoyingly close to the car (per AirTag information). But, the Matson Hilo port is closed on Tuesdays. My best guess is that the car has been offloaded, sitting in the lot, and awaiting Matson check in.

However, I’m not sure if it’ll be available for pickup tomorrow.

I’ll figure it out. Happily walking around downtown Hilo in the meantime. Hilo Bay Cafe had a solid lunch.

Enjoying some beers at Ola Brew right now. Full disclosure: I have a very small crowdfunding investment in Ola. That said, it’s a great spot and the Hilo location has a much better food menu than the Kona location.

Rivian R1T R1S Aloha, Rivian R1S 🏝️!  -- Transporting Rivian from Phoenix, AZ to Kailua Kona, HI IMG_9276
Rivian R1T R1S Aloha, Rivian R1S 🏝️!  -- Transporting Rivian from Phoenix, AZ to Kailua Kona, HI IMG_1271
Rivian R1T R1S Aloha, Rivian R1S 🏝️!  -- Transporting Rivian from Phoenix, AZ to Kailua Kona, HI IMG_1266
Rivian R1T R1S Aloha, Rivian R1S 🏝️!  -- Transporting Rivian from Phoenix, AZ to Kailua Kona, HI IMG_1279
Sponsored

OP
OP
shrink

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Pele is home!

Quick Summary
- Drop off in Long Beach: Friday, 1/12/2024
- 1st Voyage on the Mokihana: Saturday, 1/20/2024 depart Long Beach arrive in Honolulu just after midnight on 1/25/2024
- 2nd Voyage on the Kaholo (Young Brothers): Sunday, 1/28/2024 depart Honolulu; arrive and depart Kahului, Maui, on 1/29/2024; arrive in Hilo, HI on Tuesday, 1/30/2024
- 1st available pick up: 2/1/2024

Charge level over the 20 days from drop off to pick up:

65% to 49% (*This is not entirely vampire drain. Vehicle was driven off and on the ships and into the ports. I also found my AC set to 66 F upon entry)

Some photos:

This is the Kaholo in port on 1/31/2024. It was killing me that I knew the car was there but I could not pick it up. It had not yet been unloaded:

Rivian R1T R1S Aloha, Rivian R1S 🏝️!  -- Transporting Rivian from Phoenix, AZ to Kailua Kona, HI 1706854511578

Matson pick up:

Rivian R1T R1S Aloha, Rivian R1S 🏝️!  -- Transporting Rivian from Phoenix, AZ to Kailua Kona, HI 1706854576575

Charge level at pick up:
Rivian R1T R1S Aloha, Rivian R1S 🏝️!  -- Transporting Rivian from Phoenix, AZ to Kailua Kona, HI 1706854597997

Hawaii plate issued:
Rivian R1T R1S Aloha, Rivian R1S 🏝️!  -- Transporting Rivian from Phoenix, AZ to Kailua Kona, HI 1706854623576

View from home:

Rivian R1T R1S Aloha, Rivian R1S 🏝️!  -- Transporting Rivian from Phoenix, AZ to Kailua Kona, HI 1706854662691

Final note. I was talking to the Matson dock workers. They said last week two R1T's came in, but

wait for it....

wait for it....

wait for it...

One of them was the Apocalypse Nirvana Rivian! They showed me photos. Same owner apparently brought both trucks over. Not sure who it is, but I can only imagine...

I cannot believe that hideous thing is here on island!

Boudro

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kona EV & Tacoma
just wrapping up a week on Big Island and so happy more Rivian’s will be here. Blown away at the thoughts of how perfect Rivian’s will be here. Steep. Rough. Off roading. No super fast highways. No noise! I could go on. Congrats.

bholliday5150

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
La Silver R1T (7/14/22), Ford Explorer
Occupation
Assistant Principal,
Clubs

Awesome…we were on big island for vacation over Thanksgiving. Beautiful and will be back again. Saw a white T in Waimea area. You gotta take Pele to the top of Mauna Kea please and send pics. We took our Jeep up to the summit….was an amazing view and drive.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Final note. I was talking to the Matson dock workers. They said last week two R1T's came in, but

wait for it....

wait for it....

wait for it...

One of them was the Apocalypse Nirvana Rivian! They showed me photos. Same owner apparently brought both trucks over. Not sure who it is, but I can only imagine...

I cannot believe that hideous thing is here on island!
Just in case we forgot how ugly the vehicle was... Here it is, in motion

Sponsored

Gman

First Name
Garth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne, Toyota Landcruiser, Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Open Ocean Swimmer
Shrink- how did you get your HI plates so quickly? Did you have to pay HI sales tax or was it titled in another state 3 months prior to departing shipment date?

OP
OP
shrink

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Shrink- how did you get your HI plates so quickly? Did you have to pay HI sales tax or was it titled in another state 3 months prior to departing shipment date?
Took delivery in AZ in 7/2023. Filed the G- whatever tax form since I paid AZ sales tax. No additional was due to Hawaii. They also gave credit for AZ registration through 7/2024.

No wait at the Hilo DMV walk up. Only had to pay $5.50 total to register.

But safety sticker is delayed due to system outage:

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2024/...y-check-service-outage-impacting-inspections/

Got as far as failing for registration then after I got my plates I took it back to the shop and the system was down. Still is down right now.

Had hoped to get it all done in Hilo yesterday but due to system outage I would need to go back to Hilo to get final safety pass. I’m not doing that. Will pay again for an inspection in Kona.

Gman

First Name
Garth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne, Toyota Landcruiser, Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Open Ocean Swimmer
Took delivery in AZ in 7/2023. Filed the G- whatever tax form since I paid AZ sales tax. No additional was due to Hawaii. They also gave credit for AZ registration through 7/2024.

No wait at the Hilo DMV walk up. Only had to pay $5.50 total to register.

But safety sticker is delayed due to system outage:

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2024/...y-check-service-outage-impacting-inspections/

Got as far as failing for registration then after I got my plates I took it back to the shop and the system was down. Still is down right now.

Had hoped to get it all done in Hilo yesterday but due to system outage I would need to go back to Hilo to get final safety pass. I’m not doing that. Will pay again for an inspection in Kona.
in Kauai there is no walk-up DMV, by appointment only. Got my safety check and a day later went on line to book DMV appt to register- earliest appt was 35 days- so back for second safety inspection and appt 2-7. Good to know they gave you credit for AZ registration- I have 1 year remaining on my Oregon plates. I got notice of system being down yesterday. I am expecting to pay around $600.00
Weight fees & taxes-$378
EV surcharge-$50county reg fee-$20
State reg fee- $40
other nic- nacks- $120

big difference

OP
OP
shrink

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Awesome…we were on big island for vacation over Thanksgiving. Beautiful and will be back again. Saw a white T in Waimea area. You gotta take Pele to the top of Mauna Kea please and send pics. We took our Jeep up to the summit….was an amazing view and drive.
I was here too over Thanksgiving! Glad you took your Jeep up there! I’ve done the same with my Jeep. Funny, I had the same initial thought of recreating the photo below with Pele. Truly a special place in this world.

Rivian R1T R1S Aloha, Rivian R1S 🏝️!  -- Transporting Rivian from Phoenix, AZ to Kailua Kona, HI 1706939324227

Just in case we forgot how ugly the vehicle was... Here it is, in motion
I still cannot believe that monstrosity is on the Big Island and I might see it with my own eyes one day.

in Kauai there is no walk-up DMV, by appointment only. Got my safety check and a day later went on line to book DMV appt to register- earliest appt was 35 days- so back for second safety inspection and appt 2-7. Good to know they gave you credit for AZ registration- I have 1 year remaining on my Oregon plates. I got notice of system being down yesterday. I am expecting to pay around $600.00
Weight fees & taxes-$378
EV surcharge-$50county reg fee-$20
State reg fee- $40
other nic- nacks- $120

big difference
Yeah, the weight fee is tough. Heavy vehicles. I actually had appointments set up in Kona but I called the Hilo DMV and they told me (not sure how true it is) that appointments were required in Kona but Hilo accepted walk ins because of port arrivals and crazy people like me.

I was able to get the Safety Inspection completed late this afternoon so Pele is fully legit in Hawaii!
Sponsored