tosehee

First Name
Se Hee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

100% EVs with 3 cars including R1T. It's not perfect, but it's getting better. You read/hear more charging stations getting installed, and it'll only accelerate with more people adapting the EVs.

It could be a pain point for now, but it'll be less of an issue in the future.

With that said, it still depends on where you live, and how fast these infrastructures are getting installed. If you take a trip once every two years, but it's no biggie imo.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Zeus

Zeus

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord, VW id4
In my neck of the woods, when the power goes out, the gas stations are out of commission too. EV is a step up, in that we still have solar and a petrol generator.

Now, one of the vehicles I parted with in exchange for a Rivian, was a Mercedes turbodiesel with a WVO conversion… is electric there yet? Nahh. I should have kept that 1000-mile range beast :)
:D.
You are absolutely right about power outtage being an issue for all means of transportation (not just EVs).

OP
OP
Zeus

Zeus

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord, VW id4
We are all electric. Kia Niro EV, 2019 and R1T, home level 2 charger. Besides not stopping at gas stations, you will appreciate no oil changes...not to mention the quiet and performance. The Niro was inexpensive, modest in size, zippy, and is dearly loved by my wife...she's just not a truck person. Talking Cars 395: Driving the 2023 Kia Niro EV - Consumer Reports is an interesting take on the latest version.
Totally agree about not stopping at gas stations. I am really looking forward to that one!

OP
OP
Zeus

Zeus

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord, VW id4
I will admit I'm regularly tempted by non-EVs, but not because they have ICE. For example before taking delivery of our R1T I test drove a Defender 110 and was really tempted to order a Defender 130. We wanted the 3 rows and I love the look of the Defender and they way it drove. But we are determined to stay EV only from now on outside of potentially buying a classic sports car at some point in the future. Maybe an old Porsche 911 if prices ever come back to reality.
Thanks for this. I get tempted every now and then by some ice cars, but I am really determined to go full EV

OP
OP
Zeus

Zeus

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord, VW id4
Once you go EV, it is incredibly hard to go back to ICE vehicles. Case in point:

Rivian announces major delay.
I freak out and buy a 2021 Volvo Xc40 recharge.
My wife says, “well I am the one driving the kids around so its cheaper and greener for me to use it daily”.
I cant argue with that.
I begrudgingly inherent the wifes Subaru Outback. This used to be our “nice car”. Now It feels like an Amish Buggy in comparison.
I freak out and buy a 2022 Volvo Xc40 pure electric. Now we are all-in EVs.
R1T comes May 7th last year. Angels rejoice in the sky.
Wife drops an R1S deposit 4 months later.

Electric vehicles are just far superior. Its not even close.

From PA:

We took the Volvo to JAX FL, North Carolina, and DC multiple times.

The R1T took us to Alabama, North Carolina x 2 and DC/MD multiple times. Also camping all over PA.

I have never had to rent an ICE vehicle. We have had no major issues. I did have to “hypermile” a couple times. You plan ahead, including contingencies, and add an hour for charging. You gotta eat right?

We each have a level 2 charger. This is critical. Our solar array is nicely complementary to the EV, making both more financially advantageous, even in PA.

Hope that helps!
It really did help. Thanks for sharing your experience (and for the laughter)

Sponsored

NashvilleR1S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Pilot
Occupation
Cinematography
As a fellow Nashvillian, I would make sure you have enough power service to your area(NES said our transformer can handle it, but told me to make sure to let them know before adding another EV to the block). And in my area, the service is pretty old, lots of mature trees, aka lots of occasional outages. So you might want to look into a battery backup or some sort of backup power plan to charge.

Otherwise, go for it! And I'll wave when I pass you.

Jason

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Canyon Red R1T, 2022 Blue Model Y,
Occupation
Software Engineering Manager
All EV now with the Rivian. Also have a Model Y Perf, our third Tesla. Not a single thing in our house uses gas now, and its awesome.

I wouldn't go fully electric unless at least one was a Tesla though. We took a trip to Destin (from Austin) in our Model S last year, and it was SO easy, that we decided we are now safe to go fully electric. But the non Tesla infrastructure feels VERY much like Tesla's did 6 years ago, but the stations seem less reliable than Teslas. I am hopeful in 3 -5 years the network improves to the point where you won't need a Tesla, or Tesla opens theirs. Even then, I may still continue to buy Tesla. Despite all the issues and craziness surrounding the company, the cars have been really awesome, andI am absolutely convinced that without Tesla, we wouldn't have Rivian, EV6s, Lightnings, MachEs, etc.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
We've been all-EV for a while, first one Tesla and now a Tesla + R1T. Technically I have a motorcycle too although I plan to replace it with an EV motorcycle someday, if I keep riding.

Unless you're truly frequently committed to deep off-grid explorations (multi day offroad desert crossing stuff) or long-haul towing, there's basically nothing to be nervous about at this point. I have 70k+ miles in EVs under basically every condition imaginable from below 0 to 115+ degrees, towing, hauling, off-road, water crossings, deep snow, roof top tents, motorcycles in the bed, road trips, on and on... no regrets.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3, SC Bronson
Occupation
Product Development
When the R1T showed up we became an all EV household as well. I sold my GX470 and this took over for the adventure side of things, and my commute. My wife already has 31k miles on her 2021 Model 3 — she drives 100 miles a day. Changing your behaviors from ICE (Charging at night, taking a little longer to charge at a DCFC or planning for potential broken and in-use machines) was really quick and at this point I’ve taken the whole family to Seattle and back in the Model 3… Eureka, Tahoe, Kernville and Vegas in the R1T. YMMV as I do live on the west coast where we have a pretty robust infrastructure compared to other areas of the country.

I’ve had about 35 cars and even more motorcycles… I have always been a petrolhead wrenching on unique vehicles. That said, Im not that keen to have an ICE vehicle again. In fact I have a 1972 Volvo P1800 with seized drivetrain Ive been sitting on for a while that I’d like to drop a Model 3 rear subframe into and convert to EV… just think it would be a really slick classic to convert and keep looking bone stock.

Jhawk

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Highlander, Tundra
Occupation
Marketing
I tried to talk my wife into selling the Highlander and keeping our Model S now that we have the R1T so we could be all electric. She said she’s not going all electric until she can have an SUV with 400mi on the dash, which is exactly what I had been saying about waiting for the Max pack until I switched to the large in December so I could take delivery. Apparently she does listen to me occasionally….

Sponsored

evguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1S LE; '18 Model 3 LR
Occupation
Law
Longtime lurker (1.5 years), first post. Would really appreciate any advice from more experienced folks.
Missed the pre-March prices, sulked for about a month and finally placed an order for the R1S in April 2022 (that's how much I believe in Rivian) knowing it'll be a long wait. Wife placed an order for vw id4 in August, and because we live a few hours from Chattanooga, picked her car up in October (2023 id4). I currently drive a Honda accord (but can't seem to not drive the ev. It's so exciting).

After the new delivery window update, I was moved from Jan-Dec 2024 to May-June 2023 (sorry about folks whose delivery window was pushed back. I can imagine the pain. Not gloating, as this is not the intention of this post). In all honesty, I am conditioning my mind for a delivery window of Sept-Dec, because, this is Rivian. I'll rather be surprised than disappointed.

I am thinking about trading in or selling the accord (2018) since I don't see myself driving it after the Rivian arrives. Also, the kids are young (3 years old and a 4 month old).

Here are my questions;

1. Is it possible and advisable to go all in and become a full ev household? (No cold feet about the rivian, as I plan on taking delivery and enjoying the heck out of it). The conventional wisdom is to keep one ice car.

2. How convenient would this option of an all ev household be?

3. Anything I should consider that I might be overlooking due to my excitement over evs?

We hardly take roadtrips, and we have a level 2 evse installed at home. I live only about 10 miles from work and my wife has a 100 mile round trip to work daily.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Cheers.

P.S. the accord has been fully paid off, so no loans there to worry about.
We're a two EV household (2018 Model 3, 2022 R1S) and we love it. I use the Tesla for my work commute (about 20 miles each way) and my wife uses the R1S to shuttle our three kids to school, activities, etc. We road trip every 1 or 2 months with the R1S and it's been great. The cars typically charge at home overnight, each on a dedicated Level 2 circuit (Tesla on 40A, Rivian on 60A). The Rivian takes longer to charge because its battery is so big (and is less efficient than the Tesla), so I definitely recommend a dedicated circuit if your panel can accommodate it, as opposed to having two EVSEs load-sharing on a single circuit.

pkropf

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
We're an all EV household:

2019 Tesla model 3 long range
2022 R1T (soon to be)

No charger at home as we don't have a garage. Usually charge while out and about - grocery store, office, etc. Once in month or so I'll charge at a SuperCharger. Sometimes I'll plug into a standard household outlet if the car's on the low side or if I know I'll be on a longer trip the next day.

On longer trips, charging is usually seen as a great excuse to get out of the car, stretch and walk about for a bit. The days of driving straight through for 18 hours aren't for me anymore ;-)

It is a mindset shift from a gas powered car, range anxiety was an issue when we first got the Tesla. But that's changed and I can't picture going back to an ice.

OP
OP
Zeus

Zeus

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord, VW id4
I’ll jump back in to second some of the other suggestions about dual home chargers. This set up ads a lot of convenience without having to get a second 40-50A circuit. We have a GrizzlE duo and we just don’t have to think about which car to plug in. We get almost 10kW with one car plugged in 5 and 5 kW with both cars charging and 7-8kW with both cars plugged in and only one charging. It’s worth thinking about if that kind of sweating will affect you or not. If so, you can choose a dual unit that doesn’t do that.
Thanks for the suggestion.
We already have an Autel maxicharger (40 amps) installed and plugged into a 50 amp outlet. We are thinking of getting a Neocharge Smart Splitter to split the juice between my wife's id4 and the R1S (when it arrives) using Rivian's supplied evse.
If this doesn't work, we will just have to get a GrizzlE duo or clippercreek. But from responses so far, I think we'll be fine with this setup. We'll see.

OP
OP
Zeus

Zeus

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord, VW id4
We're a two EV household (2018 Model 3, 2022 R1S) and we love it. I use the Tesla for my work commute (about 20 miles each way) and my wife uses the R1S to shuttle our three kids to school, activities, etc. We road trip every 1 or 2 months with the R1S and it's been great. The cars typically charge at home overnight, each on a dedicated Level 2 circuit (Tesla on 40A, Rivian on 60A). The Rivian takes longer to charge because its battery is so big (and is less efficient than the Tesla), so I definitely recommend a dedicated circuit if your panel can accommodate it, as opposed to having two EVSEs load-sharing on a single circuit.
Our panel is maxed out right now. I guess we'll have to see how things go when the R1S arrives. Since I only drive about 30 miles round-trip daily, I may be able to get away with charging the R1S during the weekends or getting a splitter of some sort.

LTD in CBTS

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Tesla Model 3, Vespa 300, R1T
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Our panel is maxed out right now. I guess we'll have to see how things go when the R1S arrives. Since I only drive about 30 miles round-trip daily, I may be able to get away with charging the R1S during the weekends or getting a splitter of some sort.
All EV here as well. Easy to be in SoCal. Tesla X, Tesla 3, and R1T. All powered by sunshine with our 33 panels. Electric bill is zero for 3 cars and a house. Tesla X has free supercharging for life so that is the road trip vehicle even though the R1T is by far the most fun vehicle to drive.
Sponsored