First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester XT, Chevy Silverado
Occupation
Pharmacist
Since I must have some outlet for my increasing level of anticipation of the configurator, I've been thinking of different aspects of using this vehicle in the hills.
The hills may have eyes, but they're dusty too. I noticed this in my Subaru the other day. Dust everywhere on the interior and I never opened the window.
So, I suspect air handling and filtration.
Anyone emailed Rivian about the filtration system of the air handler? And how loud it will be at full blast?
An esoteric question to be sure. I just needed to think about something besides range for a while.
Sponsored

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
Dust everywhere on the interior and I never opened the window.
Dust does not require access to the outdoors to appear, even in a car. Many things create dust.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Dust if it is fine enough can penetrate anywhere. Two stories:

A friend had to abandon an airplane because of an impending sand storm. When he returned for the plane a week later there was fine sand inside the altimeter.

I took a vacation trip to the centre (that's how they spell it) of Australia during which I took lots of videos. When, some time later, I took the VCR in for service the tech asked what kind of tape I had been using because the interior of the transport was full of fine red dust. It was iron oxide for sure but not from the tape. It was from the Red Centre.

The Teslas have the biohazard filter which is a big HEPA filter in the frunk. It should stop fine particles and presumably when the system is in operation the positive pressure in the cabin would keep stuff from coming in through the windows and door seals but if you park the car in Mt. Isa for any length of time you will find red dust in it. I have no idea whether Rivian has anything like the Tesla HEPA system.

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired
Dust if it is fine enough can penetrate anywhere. Two stories:

A friend had to abandon an airplane because of an impending sand storm. When he returned for the plane a week later there was fine sand inside the altimeter.

I took a vacation trip to the centre (that's how they spell it) of Australia during which I took lots of videos. When, some time later, I took the VCR in for service the tech asked what kind of tape I had been using because the interior of the transport was full of fine red dust. It was iron oxide for sure but not from the tape. It was from the Red Centre.

The Teslas have the biohazard filter which is a big HEPA filter in the frunk. It should stop fine particles and presumably when the system is in operation the positive pressure in the cabin would keep stuff from coming in through the windows and door seals but if you park the car in Mt. Isa for any length of time you will find red dust in it. I have no idea whether Rivian has anything like the Tesla HEPA system.
It would make a lot of sense for Rivian to have a good HEPA filtration system given that it's an adventure vehicle. FWIW, I believe only Tesla Model S and X have the biohazard filtration. My Model 3 has a basic filter, although I was surprised how well it worked when we had AQI in the high 500's for a week recently.
Sponsored