Sponsored

Advice for residential building infrastructure

Wiffle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 4Runner SR5 4WD
Hey all - as I (hopefully) get closer to delivery, I've been working with the board at my condo building to figure out how we will support EV charging going forward. We've got ~70 spots and everyone has an assigned spot(s). We also only have about 300A available on our existing electric panel.

After consulting w/ an electrician, we came up with running a 100A load centers to each floor and then installing sub-metered lines to each spot that has an EV. The big issue we have with this is that there is no load balancing, so if multiple cars plug in at the same time we may flip the breaker. The alternative is to go with a service like SmartCharge America that charges each spot $20/month for load-balancing and metering.

I'm wondering if there is a readily available load balancing solution that we could install and not have to pay a monthly fee for...or if someone has better ideas of how we should install infrastructure. At some point I imagine we may need to bite the bullet and have additional capacity brought into the building, so whatever we do should be with the possibility of additional future capacity in mind.
Sponsored

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
Hey all - as I (hopefully) get closer to delivery, I've been working with the board at my condo building to figure out how we will support EV charging going forward. We've got ~70 spots and everyone has an assigned spot(s). We also only have about 300A available on our existing electric panel.

After consulting w/ an electrician, we came up with running a 100A load centers to each floor and then installing sub-metered lines to each spot that has an EV. The big issue we have with this is that there is no load balancing, so if multiple cars plug in at the same time we may flip the breaker. The alternative is to go with a service like SmartCharge America that charges each spot $20/month for load-balancing and metering.

I'm wondering if there is a readily available load balancing solution that we could install and not have to pay a monthly fee for...or if someone has better ideas of how we should install infrastructure. At some point I imagine we may need to bite the bullet and have additional capacity brought into the building, so whatever we do should be with the possibility of additional future capacity in mind.
Look at Wallbox. They have solutions for residential and commercial. They also can have at least 8 but I think up to 24 on one circuit.

OP
OP
Wiffle

Wiffle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 4Runner SR5 4WD
Thanks - have emailed them asking for more info as their website didn't have much detail on commercial installs, though their tech does sound promising.
Sponsored