AC Charger, Frunk, Tonneau

Quattro Powers

First Name
QP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Try watching a YouTube video on the R1T. That’s how I’m learning and getting ready for my future truck. Good luck!
Sponsored

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Yes, I did. Thank you. FYI, it says 6 days to charge. What I don't understand is how these peeps are getting full charge in 15 minutes. If you saw my other post, Chargepoint was telling me 1 day, 2 hours.
nobody is getting a full charge in 15 minutes unless they are starting at 98%

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

I used and Electrify America yesterday and it was fast. Chargepoint is a joke.
Stop. You literally don't know what you're talking about. Read what people have written here. Chargepoint operates different classes of chargers. Some are 6.6kWH some are 50kWH - the issue isn't that chargepoint is a joke is that you can't be bothered to learn the fundamentals on how your truck works.

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
Guess L3 isn't a thing: https://www.forbes.com/wheels/advice/ev-charging-levels/#:~:text=Level 3 charging is the,uses direct current (DC).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/chargehub.com/amp/en/countries/united-states/utah/salt-lake-city.html

Apparently Forbes doesn't know what they're talking about. I know they're Tesla superchargers, but L3 is "a thing". Keep it civil folks.
Level 3 is only a thing because of the same reason of the thousands of other "things" butchered by a lazy civilization that accepts the slow and steady destruction of the English language. Forbes included. Even Webster's is forced to add a few more slang terms every year because people just insist on using them. L3 has become one of those "things" because people use it incorrectly so often that it's easier to just accept it as a thing instead of wrong, which it is.

Probably a thousand videos out there explaining the difference between Level 1, 2, and DCFC. Here is one I came across long before my truck was delivered when I was doing very basic preparation to become an owner. Even the professor corrected his mistakes in the first pinned comment. Something you won't ever see Forbes doing.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Level 3 is only a thing because of the same reason of the thousands of other "things" butchered by a lazy civilization that accepts the slow and steady destruction of the English language.
I just texted you about that.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T
A lot of hostile people on here. I don't expect to be spoon fed. Sorry I'm not the master electrician everyone on here seems to be.

You may have selected 'Unguided' as your preferred delivery mode...
Definitely not.

GOFAST

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, Acura TLX, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
My truck arrived yesterday - Tonneau cover essentially locked in open position and fails to reset. Not a huge deal (obviously a problem area) and I ended up taking delivery. I was frustrated that they shipped a vehicle they knew had a problem to start with, assuming I would accept it and take delivery. They even had the document ready for me to sign acknowledging they owed me a fix.

Personally, I would rather have waited a couple of weeks to have them correct it rather than trying to play the time off from work dance to support the repair....hopefully it can be done by a mobile tech. Richmond is 2-10 hrs away depending on DC traffic.

OP
OP
jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This string is being civil, its pretty obvious you didn't take the time to read the manual or do any google searching. You are also making drastic statements like "Chargepoint is a joke." out of understandable frustration but not seeking a lot of understanding. Chargepoint has DCFC and level 1-2 chargers so it depends on the particular station you go to.

We understand there is a lot of information out there and not all in one place but its pretty obvious you are asking to be spoon fed all that info in a way that YOU need it without doing any work yourself.

People are gonna be a little sarcastic at worst, everyone else is being REALLY REALLY nice. Statements like "I'm really busy with work and don't have time to sit on forums all day. Please keep it civil." are thinly veiled insults to the people you are asking help from

This is a great example though of what Rivian is dealing with, Electric Vehicles is still on the bleeding edge and educating the market is a large task. People have strong OPINIONS on how vehicles should work and are reticent to change.

@jakef801 I apologize if you take this a strong scolding, it is intended to help you take a breath and do some reading on your own and get the basics down.
I get it and, admittedly, I haven't taken the time to fully read and understand all the nuances of charging. I've been incredibly busy with work as well as dealing with a life threatening health issue (ruptured aneurysm if it matters - emergency brain surgery & week long "vacation" in the neurocritical ICU - "Don't Cry for me Argentina"). The Rivian has been one thing to allow me a distraction here and there. I installed my charger at home last night, so it's less of an issue now. It just seems odd to me that a station like Chargepoint would have a spot in an empty/abandoned bank parking lot with very weak charging capabilities. Seems like a waste of time - it's not like someone is going to leave their truck there for 24+ hours.

I don't mind the "scolding". I have a fairly strong backbone.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No one is getting a full charge in 15 minutes, however the "faster" charge times are with Level 3 DC fast chargers like Electrify America. Fast chargers like EA are able to charge the battery much faster than Level 2 chargers, but they increase wear on the battery.

Level 2 chargers are things like the Rivian wall connector, Tesla wall connector, most Chargepoint chargers, including those in building parking lots and what not. The Rivian wall connector will top out at 48 amps, provided it is hard wired to a 240v 60 amp circuit, which will give you something like 24 miles of ranger per hour. It will charge slower than that if you have it wired to a circuit that is less than 60 amps.

Level 1 charging is SLOW. That's regular 120v charging with a normal household outlet and isn't usable except in emergencies. If you're being told 6 days to charge, you likely have the car plugged into a regular 120v household outlet.
Thank you. I misspoke when I said people are getting 100% charges in 15 minutes. I was just referring to people who are on road trips and getting a significant charge with 15 - 20 minutes. From speaking with some other Rivian and other EV owners in my area, Electrify America is, indeed, the fastest for now (Tesla Superchargers excluded). Another poster on here went into detail as to why true L3 chargers are not a real thing. But I installed my wall charger on a dedicated 40ishAMP circuit with 50AMP breaker and I'm getting about 18 miles per hour - on my 1st charge at least. On page 17 of the manual, it shows settings on the dipswitches for 7.5AMP - 60AMP. Therefore, I'm getting 40ishAMP current (vs. the default 48AMP setting on a 60AMP breaker). I can live with that.

Last edited:

Sponsored

R1T-USN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
’19 X5 40i, ’07 X5 4.8, ’98 M Roadster
You lost me at - 40 x 48 = 60 🔌⚡ joking of course - I know the answer is, well, a really big number...

OP
OP
jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I just finished a nice crow dinner. ;) The OF interior is sweet! WAY more gray than on Riv website. Very happy with it.

Frunk working well now too!!

Wall charger rockin at 48A.

Got an email today saying that I'll be getting my AW floor mats in Oct. sans the yellow logo (which I couldn't care less about).

Tonneau is a grinder and I cringe every time I use it, which is as little as possible.

Sound system is incredible.

A spare is biggest thing on my wishlist.

Most is well in R1T land!
Sponsored