Sponsored

AC Charger, Frunk, Tonneau

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Yes, I did. Thank you. FYI, it says 6 days to charge. What I don't understand is how these peeps are getting full charge in 15 minutes. If you saw my other post, Chargepoint was telling me 1 day, 2 hours.
@jakef801 your truck has about 128kwh usable energy in the battery. You can charge it with your mobile charger on 110v (standard wall outlet) at a rate of about 1.5kw, using the 220v plug on a 14-50 plug (dryer outlet) at 7kw, with a Rivian or other (Chargepoint etc) wired EV charger at up to 11.5kw, or at a DCFC station capable of up to 220kw.

To figure out how long each will take to charge your truck, you can simply divide the number of kwh needed by the charge rate (kw) and get the number of hours it will take to charge. DCFC isn't as easy to calculate though, because the actual charge rate will vary during charging due to heat management so it won't be a constant 220kw or 180kw. You can expect it to take about 30 minutes to get from 20-80% though or an hour + to get from 0-100 on a DCFC station.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T
@jakef801 your truck has about 128kwh usable energy in the battery. You can charge it with your mobile charger on 110v (standard wall outlet) at a rate of about 1.5kw, using the 220v plug on a 14-50 plug (dryer outlet) at 7kw, with a Rivian or other (Chargepoint etc) wired EV charger at up to 11.5kw, or at a DCFC station capable of up to 220kw.

To figure out how long each will take to charge your truck, you can simply divide the number of kwh by the charge rate (kw) and get the number of hours it will take to charge. DCFC isn't as easy, because the actual charge rate will vary during charging due to heat management so it won't be a constant 220kw or 180kw. You can expect it to take about 30 minutes to get from 20-80% though or an hour + to get from 0-100 on a DCFC station.
Thanks for your kind response. I was just shocked when Chargepoint was showing 1 day, 2 hours to charge (WTF?). I have it charging on 110 right now with mobile charger, but I'm installing the "large" Rivian charger on Friday with a dedicated 50AMP. Hopefully that will help. I'd actually like to drive this thing.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Thanks for your kind response. I was just shocked when Chargepoint was showing 1 day, 2 hours to charge (WTF?). I have it charging on 110 right now with mobile charger, but I'm installing the "large" Rivian charger on Friday with a dedicated 50AMP. Hopefully that will help. I'd actually like to drive this thing.
Having the Rivian wired charger should help significantly. At max capacity on a 60a circuit it can push 11.5kw to charge the truck fully in about 11 hours. On a 50a circuit it will likely be closer to 9 or 10 kw but still a full charge overnight unless you are using the entire battery every day.

mhjla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
The guide should have shown you that when you picked it up, even if only to verify that it is actually in the truck. Hopefully you didn't tuff guy it and just decline the walk around ... LOL

Did you make sure the spare, first aid kit etc was in the truck?
The guide should have shown you that when you picked it up, even if only to verify that it is actually in the truck. Hopefully you didn't tuff guy it and just decline the walk around ... LOL

Something doesn't seem right, this person probably bought it from someone else.

OP
OP
jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

It was a young woman who dropped it off and I was expecting a 30 - 45 minute walkthrough. Nope, lasted about 5 minutes and her Uber showed up. Pretty disappointing.

Last edited:

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
It was a young woman who dropped it off and I was expecting a 30 - 45 minute walkthrough. Nope, lasted about 5 minutes and her Uber showed it. Pretty disappointing.
You may have selected 'Unguided' as your preferred delivery mode...

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

It was a young woman who dropped it off and I was expecting a 30 - 45 minute walkthrough. Nope, lasted about 5 minutes and her Uber showed it. Pretty disappointing.
If you're close to a service center, maybe reach out to Customer Service and ask them if you were to go there, if there is someone available at a designated time to give you the full tour. May be helpful and answer questions you may not have known needed to be answered.

OP
OP
jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

No spare, no AW floor mats. Don't know where 1st aid kit is. At least I found the charger in the frunk. FOB key still not working for frunk or trunk.

bhopkins

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
No spare, no AW floor mats. Don't know where 1st aid kit is. At least I found the charger in the frunk. FOB key still not working for frunk or trunk.
First aid kit is in the right gear tunnel door, flip up the plastic cover. Air compressor hose is in the left gear tunnel door.

R1T-USN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
’19 X5 40i, ’07 X5 4.8, ’98 M Roadster
The first aid kit is in the right gear tunnel door, flip up the plastic cover. The Air compressor hose is in the left gear tunnel door.
I wonder if you can swap locations of the items and have the first aid kit on the driver's side...

Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

I wonder if you can swap locations of the items and have the first aid kit on the driver's side...
I would assume so, but the case may be slightly contoured to fit a specific way, that even if upside down in the other door, may be raised too much to allow the cover to shut completely

R1T-USN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
’19 X5 40i, ’07 X5 4.8, ’98 M Roadster
Good Point - Thank you

R1TFTW

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
No one is getting a full charge in 15 minutes, however the "faster" charge times are with Level 3 DC fast chargers like Electrify America. Fast chargers like EA are able to charge the battery much faster than Level 2 chargers, but they increase wear on the battery.

Level 2 chargers are things like the Rivian wall connector, Tesla wall connector, most Chargepoint chargers, including those in building parking lots and what not. The Rivian wall connector will top out at 48 amps, provided it is hard wired to a 240v 60 amp circuit, which will give you something like 24 miles of ranger per hour. It will charge slower than that if you have it wired to a circuit that is less than 60 amps.

Level 1 charging is SLOW. That's regular 120v charging with a normal household outlet and isn't usable except in emergencies. If you're being told 6 days to charge, you likely have the car plugged into a regular 120v household outlet.
I think I can get a full charge in 15 minutes if I am at 90% on a DC fast charger...

OP
OP
jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No one is getting a full charge in 15 minutes, however the "faster" charge times are with Level 3 DC fast chargers like Electrify America. Fast chargers like EA are able to charge the battery much faster than Level 2 chargers, but they increase wear on the battery.

Level 2 chargers are things like the Rivian wall connector, Tesla wall connector, most Chargepoint chargers, including those in building parking lots and what not. The Rivian wall connector will top out at 48 amps, provided it is hard wired to a 240v 60 amp circuit, which will give you something like 24 miles of ranger per hour. It will charge slower than that if you have it wired to a circuit that is less than 60 amps.

Level 1 charging is SLOW. That's regular 120v charging with a normal household outlet and isn't usable except in emergencies. If you're being told 6 days to charge, you likely have the car plugged into a regular 120v household outlet.
I used and Electrify America yesterday and it was fast. Chargepoint is a joke.

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
I know the charger is in the vehicle. Please stop being "that tough guy" behind the monitor. I'm an admitted newbie and just trying to learn. I'm really busy with work and don't have time to sit on forums all day. Please keep it civil.
This string is being civil, its pretty obvious you didn't take the time to read the manual or do any google searching. You are also making drastic statements like "Chargepoint is a joke." out of understandable frustration but not seeking a lot of understanding. Chargepoint has DCFC and level 1-2 chargers so it depends on the particular station you go to.

We understand there is a lot of information out there and not all in one place but its pretty obvious you are asking to be spoon fed all that info in a way that YOU need it without doing any work yourself.

People are gonna be a little sarcastic at worst, everyone else is being REALLY REALLY nice. Statements like "I'm really busy with work and don't have time to sit on forums all day. Please keep it civil." are thinly veiled insults to the people you are asking help from

This is a great example though of what Rivian is dealing with, Electric Vehicles is still on the bleeding edge and educating the market is a large task. People have strong OPINIONS on how vehicles should work and are reticent to change.

@jakef801 I apologize if you take this a strong scolding, it is intended to help you take a breath and do some reading on your own and get the basics down.
Sponsored

Last edited: