Sponsored

A Separate 12V System?

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Anyone using a separate 12V system, especially to run refrigeration? My concern is excess drain of the main battery while camping. I assume the 12v is off when camp mode off is used?
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Anyone using a separate 12V system, especially to run refrigeration? My concern is excess drain of the main battery while camping. I assume the 12v is off when camp mode off is used?
I was using a separate 12V system for my water pump and could have run the fridge off it, but I'm not set up to recharge the battery at all. The water pump barely uses any of the capacity of the battery. I might try to use my 40A DC-DC charger to maintain the battery, but it seems like it's going to be complicated with how the Rivian has two separate 12V systems already, and I haven't done the research to figure out which would be better to pull off of.

OP
OP

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
With a receiver winch I would go with a deep cycle AGM battery. I guess that would become my refrigerator battery. Add to that a high output battery charger to replace the alternator output. That charger would add 1000 watts plus from the inverter.

All fairly ridiculous in an "adventure vehicle" with a huge battery. But still less expensive than a Rivian winch option, and removable for 90% of my driving.

I will probably do a water tank at some point. But as you say the energy requirement is trivial, and the pump "off" is the good setting anyways. In my campers I traveled with the water pump and gas in the position too often.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Isn't the 12V is provided by the lead-acid battery? Almost all accessory and interior controls run off the traditional 12v system (e.g., power windows, seat adjustments, door locks and so on...)

The vehicle's LI-ion battery charges the traditional 12V battery as its discharges to run the 12V stuff.

I would not worry about it much, unless you're running it for days without recharging the vehicle's drive battery.

Olsonsolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt - R1T on preorder
Occupation
enjoying life
You can leave 12v on when in camp mode via owners guide. We have a Dometic AC/DC ridge/cooler that is more efficient when using 12v. I also sure wish they had a 12v plug in the bed. Can't figure out why they don't. Interesting that they apparently removed the 12v from the frunck but in the Oct 17 owners guide update they still have it listed.
Sponsored