First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Realtor
I received the 80 amp Ford charge station pro with my lightning ER. My current home charging set up is a tesla wall box with a tesla tap. Currently getting charging rates at 23 miles added an hr at 11 Kw. Charger is wired to a 70 amp breaker.

My question is if I were to switch the tesla charger for the ford 80 amp charger can the rivian charge faster than 48 amps on level 2? I would have to switch to a 100 amp breaker, but if the rivian is capped at 48 amps then I'll sell the ford charger.
Sponsored

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Charge speed is governed by on the car side (the EVSE is just a plug). So, you are limited to the 48A max that the Rivian can currently pull. I suspect that short of hardware update to the inverter, you can't pull more than the 48A.

OP
OP
Mcfly Rivian

Mcfly Rivian

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Realtor
Charge speed is governed by on the car side (the EVSE is just a plug). So, you are limited to the 48A max that the Rivian can currently pull. I suspect that short of hardware update to the inverter, you can't pull more than the 48A.
Thanks that was what I thought. I think the lightning has dual chargers that allow it to pull higher level 2 charging rates. Guess I'll sell it with the lightning. I think I'm pulling pretty close to the Rivians maximum rate with my current set up.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Ford went all out on that thing. You probably don't need 19kw charging unless your commercial application calls for it. I'm surprised Ford equipped it is as such.
Sponsored