First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Soul EV
Occupation
Software Engineer

I agree that from what they have shared it may be a bit hard to justify the incremental price. There is so much variability in pricing that it's really hard to wager a guess without knowing more specifics from Rivian. As points of reference, a 22" wheel/tire upgrade package can run over $4k with some manufacturers and Volvo's Bowers & Wilkins Premium Sound upgrade is $3200.
Just curious ... are the 20" AT tires (and diff. rims) more or less cheaper than the 22"? Curious on what is the better deal (as opposed to what one might need) when it comes to dollars.
Sponsored

OP
OP
tx_rivian

tx_rivian

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning

I agree that from what they have shared it may be a bit hard to justify the incremental price. There is so much variability in pricing that it's really hard to wager a guess without knowing more specifics from Rivian. As points of reference, a 22" wheel/tire upgrade package can run over $4k with some manufacturers and Volvo's Bowers & Wilkins Premium Sound upgrade is $3200.
I agree with you, but larger/heavier wheels will hurt efficiency, right?

R1Simon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
Pricing trim differences. There's $7500 between Explorer and Adventure levels, right? I have a hard time getting there, to that delta, though I haven't bought a new car in 15 years and I've never owned a "luxury" vehicle.

Here are some guesses. Upgraded seats $1750; upgraded audio $750; wooden dash $300; gear guard $200; off-road package $2000; microfiber headliner $250; upgraded floor mats $150; passenger lumbar $200; yellow accents $150; performance stitching $200. This adds up to $5950.

As I said, I'm not confident in my guesses, and I don't know whether I should be thinking wholesale or retail pricing. Retail, I guess, because these are prices Rivian is charging us.

With LE wheels and rims upgrade, it's easy to get to a $7500 price difference.

This might be Rivian's thinking. Let's incentive folks to go for the LE. So, a $7500 upcharge from the Explorer to Adventurer may be hard to justify though, as I said, I have no idea what these sorts of upgrades should go for.
Auto tonneau cover as well. I understand the price difference a little bit more in the R1T than the R1S, but still think it's a bit much.. especially when you consider roof options and other extras we don't know about yet. I have a deposit on the SUV and likely won't pay for the Adventure package.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
This would be a good question for someone to ask and get an official answer. Basically, what does the off-road package entail? Is it a full length extra under body skid plate? Strong enough for the truck to sit on a rock? (Or basically, strong enough to be used as a jack point...) Rock guards on the sills are actually one of the most important parts of actual off-roaders, it’s one of the first places to get damaged when crawling around rock strewn trails.
"
Protecting the underbody of our vehicle is a layered shield of high-strength steel, alloyed aluminum and carbon fiber composite. Engineered to absorb, deflect and distribute force from impacts, the shield is designed for maximum protection in the most extreme off-road conditions.

With the Off-Road Upgrade, standard in the Adventure Package, the reinforced underbody shield will extend from bumper to bumper and side to side.
"

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Just curious ... are the 20" AT tires (and diff. rims) more or less cheaper than the 22"? Curious on what is the better deal (as opposed to what one might need) when it comes to dollars.
Generally smaller diameter tends to be cheaper but there are a lot more variables such as production volume, materials and construction, etc. I'm guessing Rivian won't price the the 20 any different than the 22. As for future replacement tires you could probably check tire rack or discount tire to get an idea of pricing for comparable same size tires.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Pricing trim differences. There's $7500 between Explorer and Adventure levels, right? I have a hard time getting there, to that delta, though I haven't bought a new car in 15 years and I've never owned a "luxury" vehicle.

Here are some guesses. Upgraded seats $1750; upgraded audio $750; wooden dash $300; gear guard $200; off-road package $2000; microfiber headliner $250; upgraded floor mats $150; passenger lumbar $200; yellow accents $150; performance stitching $200. This adds up to $5950.

As I said, I'm not confident in my guesses, and I don't know whether I should be thinking wholesale or retail pricing. Retail, I guess, because these are prices Rivian is charging us.

With LE wheels and rims upgrade, it's easy to get to a $7500 price difference.

This might be Rivian's thinking. Let's incentive folks to go for the LE. So, a $7500 upcharge from the Explorer to Adventurer may be hard to justify though, as I said, I have no idea what these sorts of upgrades should go for.
Volvo's XC90 stereo system upgrade is like $3500. Bigger wheels are like 4 grand. Merely adding running boards is like $2200. Maybe cut those in half for more reasonable upgrade pricing.

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
"
Protecting the underbody of our vehicle is a layered shield of high-strength steel, alloyed aluminum and carbon fiber composite. Engineered to absorb, deflect and distribute force from impacts, the shield is designed for maximum protection in the most extreme off-road conditions.

With the Off-Road Upgrade, standard in the Adventure Package, the reinforced underbody shield will extend from bumper to bumper and side to side.
"
Yeah I'm aware of that wording, its incredibly vague besides the quoted "bumper to bumper" coverage. What the "reinforcing" part?! Thicker aluminum on the bottom plate? An entire extra aluminum bottom plate that can be replaced once its beat up? Maybe that shiny aluminum we are seeing at the front and rear that comes up to the bumpers is part of the off-road package? Real question is how thick and how much support does it add, and perhaps how easy/cheap is it to replace, or maybe instead of replacing it from Rivian, just order up a big sheet of stainless steel and bolt it up yourself.

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
It sounds like the LE upgrade is worth at least $7500 and perhaps the Adventure level too, but it depends, as always, on the quality of the upgrades. Bigger tires, better rims, better quality upholstery, and the underbody protection. And what's the Rivian Launch Edition tag worth?

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
It sounds like the LE upgrade is worth at least $7500 and perhaps the Adventure level too, but it depends, as always, on the quality of the upgrades. Bigger tires, better rims, better quality upholstery, and the underbody protection. And what's the Rivian Launch Edition tag worth?
Will the underbody protection package include rock rails?

Sponsored

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
Yeah I'm aware of that wording, its incredibly vague besides the quoted "bumper to bumper" coverage. What the "reinforcing" part?! Thicker aluminum on the bottom plate? An entire extra aluminum bottom plate that can be replaced once its beat up? Maybe that shiny aluminum we are seeing at the front and rear that comes up to the bumpers is part of the off-road package? Real question is how thick and how much support does it add, and perhaps how easy/cheap is it to replace, or maybe instead of replacing it from Rivian, just order up a big sheet of stainless steel and bolt it up yourself.
Seems pretty clear to me...

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
What about side steps. The Jeep is quit a climb for me. I'm not a tall person. Rivian mentions
Will the underbody protection package include rock rails?
I just hope the kneel mode is low enough for my wife to climb in. It looks like the lowest is 7.9 inches. That's why I never bought the wrangler at 9.4 inches.

drhnbtx

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"22 R1T '07 FJ Cruiser, '13 Chevy 2500, '18 XC90
What about side steps. The Jeep is quit a climb for me. I'm not a tall person. Rivian mentions

I just hope the kneel mode is low enough for my wife to climb in. It looks like the lowest is 7.9 inches. That's why I never bought the wrangler at 9.4 inches.
Step in height is probably a better metric for accessibility. Definitely something you would like to actually try before buying!

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
Buying blind is never good. Maybe we will see one before we’re locked in. Even though you could walk away at the very end.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Buying blind is never good. Maybe we will see one before we’re locked in. Even though you could walk away at the very end.
They intend to offer test drives before having to make a final commitment. Of course covid is the big variable with being able to follow through on that.
Sponsored