Sponsored

3rd Row Heat

Boykie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90, Mini CooperS, BMX Z8
While running heat in the front & middle only cold air blows out of third row vents. Called for service and they said this shouldn't be the case - just had mobile service here running diagnostics and he confirmed with some remote tech that the 3rd row does not actually have a heater unit only cooling. If on Auto with heat it should shut off 3rd row all together for the front and middle to heat the entire car. Anyone else find this strange?
Sponsored

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

heat should blow out of floor vents only. I have also noticed that when you activate the fans manually they do not light up red to indicate heating and by default they are off. In the summer they light up with the blue snow flake to indicate cooling however it would appear there is not a connection to the HVAC and they are simply circulation fans. I can't confirm this though.

Franksmartin

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
Software
Did you try a hard reset? My third row was blowing AC while front and middle blew heat. Hard reset resolved it.

Ryanj

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Audi e-tron, R1S preorder
I noticed this for the first time while traveling during the holidays. We live in FL so heat isn’t used often. We will have to check out the AC in the 3rd row when it’s gets warmer. Never had anyone complain about being hot but it was definitely blowing ice cold air when the heat was on up front. Haven’t tried a reset but I also believe it’s a fan.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Boykie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90, Mini CooperS, BMX Z8
Did you try a hard reset? My third row was blowing AC while front and middle blew heat. Hard reset resolved it.
It is just a fan for the third row and not connected to second or front rows. So it only blow air (cool) to provide circulation. It has no heater and can’t blow any heated air. Unfortunately when it is 0F out and if you have the 3rd vents on it feels fridgid (which is why on auto even with the seat belt engaged and heat on in the front it automatically shuts of 3rd row fan).

Franksmartin

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
Software
It is just a fan for the third row and not connected to second or front rows. So it only blow air (cool) to provide circulation. It has no heater and can’t blow any heated air. Unfortunately when it is 0F out and if you have the 3rd vents on it feels fridgid (which is why on auto even with the seat belt engaged and heat on in the front it automatically shuts of 3rd row fan).
No there is more to it than that. For me it was confirmed AC blowing in third row while front 2 rows were blasting hot heat. I let it run for a while to confirm it wasn't just cold ambient air. Even took the temp from the vents and it was frigid 30-something degree air from third row and 90 degree from front 2 rows. Resolved immediately after a reset and then third row was just recirculating cabin air as expected.

We use the third row in cold New England weather and my 10 year old said its fine back there he never gets cold. Our last 3 hour drive it was 23 degrees outside.

If you check out the owners manual it says third row does cold or recirculate but not heat.

Last edited: