Sponsored

JohnnyRocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Porsche 911 C4S, 2022 Rivian R1T
Rivian R1T R1S 25k miles, 17 months, 10K kwh on original factory 21" tires IMG_3800

R1T Quad: 95% All Purpose with auto suspension. Rotate tires every 5,000 miles. Just hit 25,000 miles at 17 months and all 4 tires (21”) are near/at the wear bars. Have 4 replacements being mounted tomorrow. Was hoping for other tire options by now, but these tires wore even and performed well to the end.
Sponsored

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Good datapoint. Waiting until tires are at the wear bar seems a little late no? I guess it depends on how often you see wet conditions. TBH I’ve never worried about this until I got the truck though.

im between 4/32 and 5/32 on our 21s at 17k miles (22 months) and im thinking of replacing within the next month or so. Am I just being too conservative ?

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Good datapoint. Waiting until tires are at the wear bar seems a little late no? I guess it depends on how often you see wet conditions. TBH I’ve never worried about this until I got the truck though.

im between 4/32 and 5/32 on our 21s at 17k miles (22 months) and im thinking of replacing within the next month or so. Am I just being too conservative ?
Replacing tires at 4/32 is not at all conservative, I would replace them too.

Sponsored

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
this disparity of 21" longevity is uncanny. Mine lasted 16K miles and driving conservatively.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Clubs

this disparity of 21" longevity is uncanny. Mine lasted 16K miles and driving conservatively.
I’ve seen as low as 9k and as high as 40k miles on this forum. Maybe someone can set up a poll but it seems like 15-20K miles is where most people fall. There is also a lot of variance in how people drive, in what conditions, and how often folks rotate, and finally how low of a tread people replace at.

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I’ve seen as low as 9k and as high as 40k miles on this forum. Maybe someone can set up a poll but it seems like 15-20K miles is where most people fall. There is also a lot of variance in how people drive, in what conditions, and how often folks rotate, and finally how low of a tread people replace at.
I would think the way we drive would last more than 16K miles. 95% all purpose. Rotated at 7K miles where the discount tires tech told us it is all even wear. When we brought it in again at 16k miles for 2nd rotation, it is at 3/32 and recommended replacement.

OP
OP
JohnnyRocker

JohnnyRocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I was around 20k with 4/32 or 5/32. I chose to push on. I drive “spirited” sometimes but couldn’t imaging getting 30k ever. Never lost traction or felt any difference in performance all the way to the wear bars. Actually only one tire is there. The others have a tiny lip above.

Sponsored

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Clubs

I was around 20k with 4/32 or 5/32. I chose to push on. I drive “spirited” sometimes but couldn’t imaging getting 30k ever. Never lost traction or felt any difference in performance all the way to the wear bars. Actually only one tire is there. The others have a tiny lip above.
Another good data point, thanks. If we did a poll, it should really be something like, at what mileage did you cross 4/32 tread approximately.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Clubs

My spare has not been rotated in.

Those of you with an unused 21” spare, when you get a new set of four tires, do you put the spare on at that point and one of the fresh tires becomes the spare? Or does the spare tire remain untouched?

My past experience with full size spares was to just leave them alone but I’m curious if there are other practices.

OP
OP
JohnnyRocker

JohnnyRocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My spare has not been rotated in.

Those of you with an unused 21” spare, when you get a new set of four tires, do you put the spare on at that point and one of the fresh tires becomes the spare? Or does the spare tire remain untouched?
I did a 5 tire rotation every 5,000 miles. Only replacing 4 tomorrow and keeping the best tire as a spare. If I switch to another tire (should one exist) I’ll buy 5.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I wait till I'm past the wear bars but I'll avoid driving a vehicle with wear that bad if there's a chance of rain. 4/32 is a good spot to replace them if you might encounter a heavy downpour on the freeway.

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

He wanted drag slicks....
Sponsored