Sponsored

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I was doing fairly well at 2.4 mi/Kwh with the factory Pirreli's on my normal commute to/from work. Changing only the tires I am at 2.7 for the 30 miles since.
In what drive mode...
Sponsored

Revin

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T / 2015 BMW 335i
I joined the club. I only drove a little bit but they are very comfortable and quiet so far! Not sure about range but that is second to comfort for me. My Scorpions only had 15k miles on them but were very loud and a rougher ride.

Rivian R1T R1S 20" Nitto Recon Grappler AT tires 25% more efficient than Pirelli OEM AT! The holy grail! IMG_3099

Rivian R1T R1S 20" Nitto Recon Grappler AT tires 25% more efficient than Pirelli OEM AT! The holy grail! IMG_3090

Rivian R1T R1S 20" Nitto Recon Grappler AT tires 25% more efficient than Pirelli OEM AT! The holy grail! IMG_3093

Tank_Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 24 Wrangler
What if we find out later that OP is employed by Nitto? LOL!!
If he is, then they should give him a raise for promoting a great product.
I’m actually an anti Nitto person(can’t stand the trail grapplers on the Jeeps I’ve run them on), but I really do love these recon grapplers so far on the Rivian. Time will tell how they hold up.

Sponsored

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Conserve I believe it’s called (new to the Rivian/Electrics)
Got it. Try All Purpose as it’s the best overall experience and I have really even tire wear. Also I’ve driven in bad rain with these tires in conserve on a road trip and I won’t do it again. I hydroplaned almost immediately and switched straight back to AP.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Clubs

If he is, then they should give him a raise for promoting a great product.
I’m actually an anti Nitto person(can’t stand the trail grapplers on the Jeeps I’ve run them on), but I really do love these recon grapplers so far on the Rivian. Time will tell how they hold up.
Funny, one of my Jeeping friends had a raised eyebrow when he saw these. I had three Jeeps before going electric. These are pretty different from the Trail Grapplers.

DIYrrr

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 20” Dark
Clubs

Got these tires yesterday based on this thread. Had 22,000 miles on my stock 20” tires and they were very loud. These new tires are silent at most speeds. Around 55-65 I can slightly hear the tread but nothing bad at all.
I don’t have enough reference yet as for efficiency, but from the 60 miles I’ve driven so far it seems similar.
The lighter weight of the tires is noticeable and the truck feels quicker.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Clubs

I drove for some errands today on the new rubber, and still love them. Smoother and quieter. I believe I saw both improved efficiency and less, depending on speed, but mostly better. But I was in full errand/work mode and couldn't really be scientific about it, too much to do. I ran the AC while parked due to groceries in the car, so that drove the numbers down.

Sponsored

onesoil

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2002 Audi B5 S4 Wagon
Occupation
Director of Operations at Vermont Compost Company
I joined the club. I only drove a little bit but they are very comfortable and quiet so far! Not sure about range but that is second to comfort for me. My Scorpions only had 15k miles on them but were very loud and a rougher ride.

IMG_3099.jpeg

IMG_3090.jpeg

IMG_3093.jpeg
Sweet hub bore caps! Are those custom? I’m considering the BR Voltaics at some point, but wasn’t in love with their logo on the center cap—your solution is a lot cleaner 👌🏼

Also, which mud flaps are those? I like how low profile they are.

onesoil

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2002 Audi B5 S4 Wagon
Occupation
Director of Operations at Vermont Compost Company
Has anyone here compared these to Falken Rubitreks and/or Nokian Outpost nAT in a 275/65R20? I don’t see these two talked about much, but they are my current front runners for a good VT spring/summer/fall/early winter tire (maybe even all winter with the ones we’ve been having lately).

My father’s Pirellis are pretty shot at 19k miles and the noise is horrible (especially the particular frequency, which he says gets picked up and amplified by his hearing aids).

My demo truck on 20” ATs with ~11k miles is a lot quieter, but I also suspect they haven’t been subjected to nearly the wheel slip his have in the mud, gravel, dirt roads, light off road, and generally rough conditions we have here in Vermont. I think I’ll run Hakkapeliittas next winter and then depending on my Pirellis, go with one of these three tires (Falken, Nokian, or these Nittos) for next spring.

Range is less important than ride quality, durability, and noise for my dad, but a bit more of a priority for me.

Has anyone experienced either of these other options? They seem like good comprables, but perhaps a bit more aggressive than the Nittos (probably more rolling resistance and range hit). I’m just not sure how well the Nittos would do in our really muddy roads here (which we call mud season—a seemingly longer and longer period between winter and spring and sometimes early winter before the cold properly sets in).

Revin

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T / 2015 BMW 335i
Sweet hub bore caps! Are those custom? I’m considering the BR Voltaics at some point, but wasn’t in love with their logo on the center cap—your solution is a lot cleaner 👌🏼

Also, which mud flaps are those? I like how low profile they are.
Thanks! I just had custom sized stickers made to fit over the BR cap.

Mud flaps are Twraps standard size.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
I hope so, and for more off road traction/compliance. I have no idea where to go with pressures on a 20 however, biggest I've owned was 35s on 17" wheels on the Gladiator. 20s are so wrong for off road, but here we are.

https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=Kyle+out+of+spec
Followed the link...found nothing. Useless. I'll stick to my belief until proven otherwise. Altitude is meaningless for EVs.

richpike

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover D5, Jeep JL, R1S
Followed the link...found nothing. Useless. I'll stick to my belief until proven otherwise. Altitude is meaningless for EVs.
Definitely has an impact. Drag is directly related to air resistance (and speed squared - hence why the faster you go, your range gets significantly worse).

Fd = 0.5*p*v^2*Cd* A
  • Fd: is the force of drag (air resistance)
  • p: is the air density
  • v: is the velocity
  • Cd: is the drag coefficient
  • A: cross sectional area
Altitude/elevation directly impacts the air density (p). If you're at 6500ft like I am, air density is about 20% less. Which has a direct impact on the drag (which has a direct impact on your range :) ).

-Rich

PS: Sorry for getting all nerdy here - it's the engineer in me.
Sponsored