Sponsored

Iwantatesla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla X Plaid, 2004 s2000, Huracan Evo, +
El Cap Granite. Can’t believe it’s real!

Not an employee! (Though I wish I was) not sure what direct ties means. My wife’s boyfriend works there. Jk. I’m an average dude :)

Some Q&A compiled:

Main things I'm curious about:
  • Highway speed range
  • Time to charge from ~10-60% at a CCS charger that can deliver max rate to the truck.
  • Is there a manual way to open the tonneau cover so it's not stuck closed if the motor breaks
  • How's the build quality compare to your Plaid? Our 2016 S was great compared to our 2020 Y.
Man these are tricky and I’ll say mainly due to the driving modes and suspension. On a truck this large the ride height will materially affect highway range. I’ll have to see. I haven’t had it long enough to drive it anywhere significant yet.

I’ll need to find a CCS charger lol

I’ll get back to you on that. Im sure there is since there’s an open button inside.

Pretty darn good build quality. I’ve never really had any issues with my Tesla’s but my plaid’s gaps are even and tight. This too. We’ll see what squeaks or rattles I find as I drive it more (hopefully I won’t).

What did the delivery process look like? Did it go smoothly? How long did it take? Did you have to sign a bunch of stuff or was that all done before? How far in advance did your delivery get scheduled? Did you have to change your underwear after?
It was VERY smooth. We’ll see how it goes with scale and volume. But basically the web portal offered 8 steps. In addition, my Rivian Guide was AWESOME.

One of the big things that I was worried about was insurance (since it’s new and such). Rivian offers their own. My guide answered everything for me. Delivery process will vary by state but they made sure my questions were addressed (I was wondering where I should put in the USB C drive for Gear Guard).

Yes there was some wet signing involved but this will vary by state. My delivery person was a notary and I had to do some things with that.

No need to change your underwear if you don’t wear any HEYO

Do you have the Rivian Insurance? How does it compare to standard auto insurance?
I do not. Have geico and it ended up being $10 more a month than my Y

Looks like you only get one of each type of key? So one keycard, one fob, one bracelet?

I know you can use the phone, but you also need a backup in case the phone doesn't work right (which has happened to Tesla drivers for sure). If you only get one keycard, that's a a tiny bit annoying when you have 2 drivers. It's not a huge deal to share the fob, but we've had 2 fobs for our Model S forever.
2 keycards, 1 keyfob, 1 bracelet. What’s cool is your spouse can create their own account and link the car! Tesla needs to do this.

Phone works fine just need to make sure the Bluetooth is on.

How is the camera quality?
Pretty good! Not quite Tesla yet but better than other OEMs. Clear enough to serve its purpose. I see what people are saying about the cameras. It’s more like 720p we aren’t quite there yet for full HD :)

What are you most surprised by excited for and disappointed by?
From my First Mile Drive to now, the Sound system improved SIGNIFICANTLY. Haven’t had enough seat time yet for other stuff

Has there been any improvements to the Infotainment, like the slight lag that some have experienced with the maps? Also, has the rearview cameras quality been improved? Basically did you notice anything different from the ones you saw the First Drive events that they said they were working on? Thank you for answering all of our questions! You’re awesome!
Significant improvements. Camera quality improved but it has more runway but at least it’s usable with minimal effort.

Audio UI significantly improved.

There was a slight lag when I was trying to export gear guard clips but I suspect it was due to it loading clip previews

Thanks for answering! Did you learn anything about the Rivian membership? Did they say anything about future updates for TPMS for the tires on screen? Also, did you have a launch window like the other LE holders that was like Nov-Dec? Just curious, the earliest I saw before was January, so it’s awesome you got yours!!
I can't seem to find the air pressure status... perhaps in a future update. I'll have to dig in the Owners Manual.

I didn't ask about Rivian Membership and yes I am incredibly fortunate.

Welcome, and thanks for your Reddit posts! This is good to hear, but I am curious if they clarified if it's RF-based or relies purely on an internet connection.
They did not.

How is the build quality? Any first impression from the vehicle or overall experience?
Build quality is good. Everything works as it should. This is going to be weird to say but the thrust from this feels like it’s coming from a Bentley w12

How's the seat and mirror adjustments? I read there isn't any buttons and it's all through the infotainment system. I only ask because I move my mirror all the time when my dog is with me and use 2 seat adjustments. Thanks
Just like a 3/Y except the scroll wheels only go 2 directions not 4. If you are doing something like that set up 2 different profiles to flip between

I believe the thumb wheel controls volume. granted it's not dedicated to that function all of the time, but when just driving around you get something physical at least.
it’s fine. I promise you’ll get over it. Alexa is surprisingly responsive
I'm surprised everyone is being so polite to you... so many questions and no one is bombarding you yet. What can you say about the vehicle now that you've actually taken possession of it?
It’s worth the wait! The longer you wait the better it gets as it gives Rivian time to fine tune software and such. I’m surprised I like driving it with soft suspension settings. Stiff feels a bit weird to me.

How are you liking the sound quality? Any new OTA updates that you are aware of that have improved the vehicle so far? How are you finding the UI? any noticeable lag?
Sound quality is pretty good. I haven't gotten an update yet but I am sure there are plenty to come.
Lag when you are on 3d maps because it takes a second for the map to buffer/load. With that said I switched it to 2d map (which I prefer) and it works GREAT.

@Iwantatesla couple of quick questions when you have a moment.

1) How long does it take the UI to boot up from a cold start? More specifically, how quickly you can take your seat, buckle up, put the vehicle in reverse, have the backup camera show up on the screen, and start backing out of the driveway? Is the R1 ready when you are or do you find yourself waiting for it to catch up to you?

2) Is the UI "sticky" between driving sessions, ie does it remember what you were doing last including things like which drive mode you were in or does it always reset to some default configuration?
1. Quick enough for me not to time it? With the backup cam this good you’ll find yourself parking rear in
2. Yes it stays to what you last set for the profile

@Iwantatesla appreciate you taking your time out of your schedule to answer us pleebs on the forum haha. I know another member on Reddit said it took a few extra days because he financed through his local credit union. Was that the same case for you? Or did you go through Rivian for financing? Either way, did you glimpse at any of their rates before? Just wondering if they're going to be competitive or if a lot of us should start secure loan funding prior for those of us who will use a bank for a loan.

Any plans on taking it to a shop to Dyno or check alignment spec for fun?
I think rates were 3.49%. I ended up paying cash. I'll wait to do any "fun" stuff to it.

Thanks for all the info!

Curious if your app is now functioning and populated with real data? Can you pre-condition and initiate a charge with the app? Any window controls or Gear guard info on the app??
It is. I can precondition. Haven't charged yet as I need to run this thing down! No windows or gear guard yet.

Are you using the Rivian charger at your house, or are you just using the Tesla one? I’m always curious about people who have more than one EV, if they just put a charger on each side of the garage. Thinking about getting two, but will probably need to upgrade my panel from the 200 amp
Using an Enel X juice box Flex. My utility provides rewards and special offpeak rates for data. Also have a Tesla HPWC.

Neat! Can the ambient lights color be changed?
Nope.

Dash cam continuous recording with built-in cameras while driving?
I was told yes but I haven’t been able to find the clips yet. Only parked ones.

Rivian R1T R1S ? First non-Rivian employee delivery - to owner in NYC!! [Updated with Owner's Q&A, Info, Feedback] f0ghfnbjr0581

Rivian R1T R1S ? First non-Rivian employee delivery - to owner in NYC!! [Updated with Owner's Q&A, Info, Feedback] 44a7wnbjr0581

Rivian R1T R1S ? First non-Rivian employee delivery - to owner in NYC!! [Updated with Owner's Q&A, Info, Feedback] bbx0robjr0581

Rivian R1T R1S ? First non-Rivian employee delivery - to owner in NYC!! [Updated with Owner's Q&A, Info, Feedback] 3w3aztbjr0581

UPDATES:

Quick front overview and charger

Gear tunnel cover has PPF!

2rs2jranq4581.jpg

Cup test and Audio EQ

iw9bwh66m4581.jpg

2y6tvh66m4581.jpg

enb57j66m4581.jpg

Tonneau Cover Operation

Bottle test - using a S’well

hk09g7nha5581.jpg

Some details for you guys.

projector for the rivian logo is built into the side mirror

Rivian R1T R1S ? First non-Rivian employee delivery - to owner in NYC!! [Updated with Owner's Q&A, Info, Feedback] 35c77d27-b363-46bf-853a-b5b253828a97-jpe

Dash UI is nice as the proximity is nice and clear though I wish it told you inches like Tesla does. Bottom right is quite cool it shows you drive mode and suspension height.

Rivian R1T R1S ? First non-Rivian employee delivery - to owner in NYC!! [Updated with Owner's Q&A, Info, Feedback] e538e7c0-cb67-4d06-aa29-e275708b8b43-jpe

For those curious.

Rivian R1T R1S ? First non-Rivian employee delivery - to owner in NYC!! [Updated with Owner's Q&A, Info, Feedback] 396145db-cf78-497c-9421-2c756d210105-jpe

Tried out Driver+ tonight

0F403980-4547-4101-9B4F-CCA5748B5369.jpeg

Somebody asked for a under body pic.

Also decided to take the flashlight apart

Rivian R1T R1S ? First non-Rivian employee delivery - to owner in NYC!! [Updated with Owner's Q&A, Info, Feedback] bce09cfb-af45-4fe2-a95d-5ca089011698-jpe

Rivian R1T R1S ? First non-Rivian employee delivery - to owner in NYC!! [Updated with Owner's Q&A, Info, Feedback] 2bd4d4a3-68b1-40fa-a5ed-45a4f8af84a8-jpe

Ambient lights. There are 3 levels of brightness, this is max.

Rivian R1T R1S ? First non-Rivian employee delivery - to owner in NYC!! [Updated with Owner's Q&A, Info, Feedback] b9b62de5-6c89-4d84-8d57-069382fdf38e-jpe

Rivian R1T R1S ? First non-Rivian employee delivery - to owner in NYC!! [Updated with Owner's Q&A, Info, Feedback] 9844e3b1-ebaf-41af-98fd-5e42c601cab0-jpe
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
oh my God! It’s really happening! I’m so excited!!! Can you tell? ?

Sponsored

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Honestly shocked how quiet this thread is. Must be the crow keeping people away. ?
OK I will add to the post count. Here are some of his comments to save you guys a tap on OP’s link.

On purchase process:

Rivian R1T R1S ? First non-Rivian employee delivery - to owner in NYC!! [Updated with Owner's Q&A, Info, Feedback] 1639327208165

“2 keycards, 1 keyfob, 1 bracelet. What’s cool is your spouse can create their own account and link the car! Tesla needs to do this. Phone works fine just need to make sure the Bluetooth is on.”

on camera quality: “Pretty good! Not quite Tesla yet but better than other OEMs”

”From my First Mile Drive to now, the Sound system improved SIGNIFICANTLY”

”What’s pleasant is Spotify free works!”

“Build quality is good. Everything works as it should. This is going to be weird to say but the thrust from this feels like it’s coming from a Bentley w12”

Last edited:

Sponsored

BrayBay

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Edition R1S - Forest Green/Forest Edge
Clubs

The magnets on the false floor in the front trunk is a nice touch!

Also, I didn't know these vehicles comes with Spotify Free.