“Our Rivian is a Tank” - my 12 yo son

RGsRiv

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch
Yellow van: 0, Toyota RAV4 hybrid: 0, Rivian R1S: 1 - and more importantly, my R1S protected my family. Scenario: stopped in traffic. Toyota comes to quick stop behind us. Van doesn’t stop, hits the Toyo at high speed and pushes it into us in the Rivian. Look at the damage to the van and to the Toyo that got squished in between - destroyed front end of Toyo hit minimally damaged rear end of our R1S. That Toyota looks totaled. My wife drove home in our Riv without a problem. The Mom of the yellow van shows up, looks at the damage to the van and Toyo and says she’s buying a Rivian next. I couldn’t be more impressed by the way our Riv took that hit.
AND, we were stopped behind another car, but due to the weight of the Riv, we didn’t get pushed into the car in front!

Rivian R1T R1S “Our Rivian is a Tank” - my 12 yo son IMG_2610
Rivian R1T R1S “Our Rivian is a Tank” - my 12 yo son IMG_2611
Sponsored

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

Glad to hear you guys are ok! I hope you told the Toyota driver the R2 is being unveiled tomorrow. ;)

Let me also get the following obligatory statements out of the way: “your Rivian looks totaled”, and “bet the Rivian will still be the costliest to repair”.

That being said, the Rivians are like the Two Face of vehicles… on one hand you get into a seemingly bad accident and they hold up quite well compared to other vehicles, while on the other hand, someone leans gently on your rear quarter panel and you’re left with a dent.

Last edited:

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Glad you and your family are ok!

Biturbowned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘20 Model Y, ‘22 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Looks like the R1S did its job, good to hear!

Sponsored

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Agreed the R1's are tanks, That's how I explain mine to people who ask.
That being said @Chewy734 is spot on, it's gonna be a coin flip if your R1S is totaled. Glad you and family were protected. Good luck on your Rivian adventure.

oskeei

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Duramax Silverado, French's Mustard Yellow R1S
Clubs

Not an engineer, but went to a school that has a really good program. I'm guessing they have to design them like tanks to protect the battery.

Had a 2001 Honda Odyssey, that minivan will always hold to title of a "tank" to me.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
The Rivian is indeed a tank. However, much of the impact energy had already been dissipated by the other 2 vehicles prior to impacting the Rivian which helped minimize damage to the Rivian.

eskudo12791

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
stealth ppf or just looks less glossy than normal? if pff, make sure the adjuster notes the ppf being on the vehicle. was in an accident with my Tesla (no aftermarket accessories coverage), noted the ppf to the body shop writing up the quote and they put it on the quote, usaa requested an invoice of the costs to redo and sent me the cash.

Sponsored

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Glad your family is ok. Looks like the Rivian did it's job!

beyondgravity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Yellow van: 0, Toyota RAV4 hybrid: 0, Rivian R1S: 1 - and more importantly, my R1S protected my family. Scenario: stopped in traffic. Toyota comes to quick stop behind us. Van doesn’t stop, hits the Toyo at high speed and pushes it into us in the Rivian. Look at the damage to the van and to the Toyo that got squished in between - destroyed front end of Toyo hit minimally damaged rear end of our R1S. That Toyota looks totaled. My wife drove home in our Riv without a problem. The Mom of the yellow van shows up, looks at the damage to the van and Toyo and says she’s buying a Rivian next. I couldn’t be more impressed by the way our Riv took that hit.
AND, we were stopped behind another car, but due to the weight of the Riv, we didn’t get pushed into the car in front!

IMG_2610.jpeg
IMG_2611.jpeg
I do agree. Rivian frame is well made. If folks are waiting to get it after the shutdown, the tank quality can only go down in all cost savings🤔
It may be expensive to repair R1S; but does it protect the people. Oh yes and only that matters & looks like nobody got hurt, which is even better.

OP
OP

RGsRiv

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch
Glad to hear you guys are ok! I hope you told the Toyota driver the R2 is being unveiled tomorrow. ;)

Let me also get the following obligatory statements out of the way: “your Rivian looks totaled”, and “bet the Rivian will still be the costliest to repair”.

That being said, the Rivians are like the Two Face of vehicles… on one hand you get into a seemingly bad accident and they hold up quite well compared to other vehicles, while on the other hand, someone leans gently on your rear quarter panel and you’re left with a dent.
Not excited to hear that it might be totaled! Although, and get this bad luck, I actually had just gotten it back from the shop due to being hit in in a parking lot - had to fix the rear quarter panel and replace the trim around the rear tire - was < $2k. So, back to the shop to see how much this one will be.

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

Not excited to hear that it might be totaled! Although, and get this bad luck, I actually had just gotten it back from the shop due to being hit in in a parking lot - had to fix the rear quarter panel and replace the trim around the rear tire - was < $2k. So, back to the shop to see how much this one will be.
Oh man, sorry to hear. I hope it all works out for you in your favor though.

OP
OP

RGsRiv

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch
stealth ppf or just looks less glossy than normal? if pff, make sure the adjuster notes the ppf being on the vehicle. was in an accident with my Tesla (no aftermarket accessories coverage), noted the ppf to the body shop writing up the quote and they put it on the quote, usaa requested an invoice of the costs to redo and sent me the cash.
It’s a matte black wrap. Looks amazing. Black PPF on the front lights, chrome delete and wrapped the emblems. And, thanks for the tip re: notifying the adjuster about that.
Sponsored