First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, GMC Yukon
Occupation
Pilot
I mostly charge at home with the dedicated Rivian charger. Plug in every night to 70%. Scheduled 2-7am.

Last night the charger disconnected and woke up to 52% SOC. Said something to the effect of the plug being to warm.

Now it’s just “Charging Slowed” and the plug feels very warm to the touch.

Could it be the truck or the charger?

I’ve already reset the charger and re-paired with the app.

Anyone experience this? What was the “fix”?

2022 R1T 15k miles VIN 118xx

Rivian R1T R1S “Charging Slowed” message question IMG_4051
Sponsored

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
They addressed charging port overheating in a previous update - it’s sw-limited to prevent overheating.

That said, it’s hard to diagnose what’s causing the overheat - potentially faulty contacts in the plug. I would inspect both for debris, and safely (unplugged, insulated, etc) inspect the contacts to make sure nothing in the EVSE is loose.

Which EVSE are you using?

OP
OP
zpowell

zpowell

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, GMC Yukon
Occupation
Pilot
The Rivian Wall Charger in my garage. Been using it for 18 months and never any issues until today.

Scott7161

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Physician
I have the same problem that just started a couple months ago. Rivian service has not been helpful.

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Happens to both my R1S and T. Was able to charge fine for a year, then Rivian did an update to the vehicle which was causing the charger to disconnect and produce a charging error which would never resume unless you unplug and replugged. Then they released an update that would slow charging so that it wouldn't error, but now it's constantly slowing down. Seems to happen if charging at 40a and above.

I just want my vehicle to charge perfectly like it was doing last year but Rivian support has been useless, blames the charger or the installation even though the vehicle does this at different chargers and both my vehicles are experiencing the same issue.

My 48a EVSE is essentially a 24a charger for the Rivian and anything else it's 48a.

Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

They addressed charging port overheating in a previous update - it’s sw-limited to prevent overheating.

That said, it’s hard to diagnose what’s causing the overheat - potentially faulty contacts in the plug. I would inspect both for debris, and safely (unplugged, insulated, etc) inspect the contacts to make sure nothing in the EVSE is loose.

Do this, safely. Take it apart, put it back together. Sounds like electrical contacts came loose from heat expansion and cold weather shrinkage.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
Do this, safely. Take it apart, put it back together. Sounds like electrical contacts came loose from heat expansion and cold weather shrinkage.
even The Count was able to do this without killing himself.

OP
OP
zpowell

zpowell

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, GMC Yukon
Occupation
Pilot
You’re talking about the actually 1772 plug or the wall charger?

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

You’re talking about the actually 1772 plug or the wall charger?
EVSE. Have you tried another level 2 EVSE? That'll help identify the problem source.