First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LELGRN
Occupation
Healthcare
Best 20” AT Tire for Range - Please Help!?!?

It is becoming hard to wade through all the tire discussion. Getting Black Rhino Voltaic put on. In search of folks with some experience on the best AT tire for on road range. I get that there are better options for range. I am looking for best of all worlds (of course haha). Range is king.

TYIA for those who will share useful guidance and not Shame another tire poster haha

Rivian R1T R1S !ΒΏ Best 20” AT Tire for Range?! πŸ”‹πŸ”‹πŸ”‹ IMG_0804
Sponsored

RivianRunner

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Suzuki DR650
Occupation
Tester
As soon as I see the term "affordable" paired with "tire", I tend to lose interest.

Because I think tires are the most important part of any vehicle, and they have the most demanding job to do. I think some people fail to appreciate how highly engineered tires are, and how difficult they are to make well. They are not just rubber bladders that hold air and have some tread molded into them. A great tire costs substantially more to engineer and manufacture than a mediocre tire and it's important to get ones that are particularly well suited to whatever vehicle you drive.

Even when I was a poor college student, working my way through tuition, living expenses, books, etc, I still didn't skimp on tires. Even when I was buying an inexpensive used, high-mileage car, I would search for that one car that had premium tires in good shape. I turned down many a used car because someone slapped inexpensive new tires on there so they could advertise it at a higher price with "new tires". Because I knew that cheap new tires were not as safe and drove like crap.

I'm all for getting a good deal, but tires are something I don't compromise on. We all only have one life. Plus, who doesn't like it when their vehicle drives as well as it can? Anyone who can afford to buy a Rivian cannot afford to buy cheap tires.

I'm not saying all tires on that list are unsuitable, I'm saying I hate to see potentially better tires excluded simply for reasons of price.

ksurfier

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1SQM, Tesla
Clubs

Best 20” AT Tire for Range - Please Help!?!?

It is becoming hard to wade through all the tire discussion. Getting Black Rhino Voltaic put on. In search of folks with some experience on the best AT tire for on road range. I get that there are better options for range. I am looking for best of all worlds (of course haha). Range is king.

TYIA for those who will share useful guidance and not Shame another tire poster haha

IMG_0804.jpeg
AS tires in the 275/60R20 Size can net ~2.5 MPK (Grabber HTS60/Defender/AS+3).
Lightweight AT tires in that size can net ~2.2 MPK in All Purpose mode, options below:
2.2 MPK - 8.9" wide Nitto Ridge Grappler (116T) [45 pounds]
2.1 MPK - 9.6" wide Gen. Grabber A/TX (116T) [50 pounds]

At ~2.05 MPK If you want to stay closer to 34" tires, FIRESTONE DESTINATION X/T sounds like what you are looking for, three options too, all LT tires, recommend the OEM size of 275/65 :
FIRESTONE DESTINATION X/T
LT285/60R20LT275/65R20LT285/65R20
LT125/122SLT126/123SLT127/124S
33.5"34.1"34.6"
9.9"9.4"9.6"
51#52#53#

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
As soon as I see the term "affordable" paired with "tire", I tend to lose interest.

Because I think tires are the most important part of any vehicle, and they have the most demanding job to do. I think some people fail to appreciate how highly engineered tires are, and how difficult they are to make well. They are not just rubber bladders that hold air and have some tread molded into them. A great tire costs substantially more to engineer and manufacture than a mediocre tire and it's important to get ones that are particularly well suited to whatever vehicle you drive.

Even when I was a poor college student, working my way through tuition, living expenses, books, etc, I still didn't skimp on tires. Even when I was buying an inexpensive used, high-mileage car, I would search for that one car that had premium tires in good shape. I turned down many a used car because someone slapped inexpensive new tires on there so they could advertise it at a higher price with "new tires". Because I knew that cheap new tires were not as safe and drove like crap.

I'm all for getting a good deal, but tires are something I don't compromise on. We all only have one life. Plus, who doesn't like it when their vehicle drives as well as it can? Anyone who can afford to buy a Rivian cannot afford to buy cheap tires.

I'm not saying all tires on that list are unsuitable, I'm saying I hate to see potentially better tires excluded simply for reasons of price.
The original guy that started the word "affordable" due to the fact that rivian's tires in size 21" and 22" are rediculously expensive. Those tires on the list are high quality but affordable because they are in size 20".

Sponsored

RivianRunner

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Suzuki DR650
Occupation
Tester
The original guy that started the word "affordable" due to the fact that rivian's tires in size 21" and 22" are rediculously expensive. Those tires on the list are high quality but affordable because they are in size 20".
In that case, it probably should have been titled "Alternative tires" rather than "affordable tires". Because "affordable tires" implies that the most premium tires are excluded.

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
In that case, it probably should have been titled "Alternative tires" rather than "affordable tires". Because "affordable tires" implies that the most premium tires are excluded.
Did you see the list? Majority of them are premium tires

ksurfier

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1SQM, Tesla
Clubs

Maybe β€˜Affordable premium’…but now it’s sounding like insurance…
Or maybe 'Alternative premium affordable...' yeah, that's the one!

ksurfier

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1SQM, Tesla
Clubs

Seems to me that the best AT tires for range is the OEM Pirelli
Just curious what would make the OEM 20" the best? A lot of people don't like it much, in fact, I'm not sure I've seen it discussed anywhere that people are happy with it and would keep it on their rig...
Here's a list of ATs 50#s and under, I would go with one of the 44# options before getting another OEM tire...I would also go to the General Grabber A/TX (50#) before putting OEM tires on again...

These are all between $230 and $315 per tire...
SizeMPKTireWidthHeightWeightTread
33"2.25Hankook Dynapro AT28.833"4412.5/32"
33"2.25Kumho Road Venture AT529.133"4413.5/32"
33"2.23Nitto Ridge Grappler8.933"4513.5/32"
34"2.15OEM Pirelli9.134.14813/32"
33"2.13Sumitomo Encounter AT9.333"4912/32"
33"2.1General Grabber A/TX9.633"5014/32"
Rivian R1T R1S !ΒΏ Best 20” AT Tire for Range?! πŸ”‹πŸ”‹πŸ”‹ 1709168276804

Sponsored

RivianRunner

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Suzuki DR650
Occupation
Tester
Sigh. Maybe you missed it, but I was only taking exception to the title of "affordable tires" as being misleading and off-putting." Yes, I get that they cost less than the OEM Pirelli, but it implies that it might exclude premium tires.

Kind of like "affordable parachutes". :oops:

OP
OP
R1TAPRAK

R1TAPRAK

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LELGRN
Occupation
Healthcare
I did. questions about the numbers but in general just hoping to find a similar high mileage range focused person who wants legit at capabilities too

Currently have wranglers. I am ok with these but have heard there are better options for AT tire with range for qusft

OP
OP
R1TAPRAK

R1TAPRAK

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LELGRN
Occupation
Healthcare