Sponsored

Electrical Efficiency (how many miles/kWh are you achieving)

Riviaenz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boxster, XC90 R-Design, XC90 T8, R1T Adventure
R1T, mostly on Conserve driving mode, with factory original 21" tires = 2.22 miles per kWh.

I've showed you mine. Now kindly show me yours.
Are you tracking indicated consumption or actual energy used to power? There’s some loss during charging. For example, for a session where the in vehicle Energy app reports 26kWhr put into battery + for temp management and accessories, a charger may actually report 29-30kWhr dispensed. You can even see that with the Rivian home charger although it doesn’t fully log actual energy dispensed. PLUS Rivian also uses energy while in standby, idling, or even AFTER it’s finished charging overnight dropping the average (you can also see that in the Settings, Drivertrain, or Energy onboard apps.

In our case, tracking actual energy dispensed vs. miles driven over 12,550 miles we’re averaging 1.55mi/kWhr.

I’ve seen our driving efficiency for some drives to as good as 2.72mi/kWhr and generally it’s around 2mi/kWhr; averages out to just under 2mi eventually.

This is while logging energy dispensed since that’s what we‘re actually paying for at home or at non-free L2/L3 chargers on the go and not how much energy is put out at the wheels 😉. What’s really cool is we’re averaging $0.148/kWhr even paying for DCFC on road trips (which have been mostly towing).
Rivian R1T R1S Electrical Efficiency (how many miles/kWh are you achieving) E02%21112666&authkey=%21AJLlN6veestVrN0&height=660

This Tripmeter slip‘s first 500 miles were towing one of our trailers. During that trip I averaged about 1.5-1.6mi/kWhr towing. I only reset Trip B when I start a new towing session - I used it to track and record mileage and efficiency while towing and I use Trip A to reset after each charging session to see how I’m doing on a daily basis.
Rivian R1T R1S Electrical Efficiency (how many miles/kWh are you achieving) E02%21112668&authkey=%21ADKouw1bYjRH79w&height=660
Sponsored

Last edited:

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Usually 1.xx. Occasionally 0.xx. Never 2.xx or 3.xx.

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1S
I wanted to compare my lifetime trip odometer values to the total energy added to the vehicle which you can find in the Rivian app. This turns out to be the true cost of ownership since it includes the charging losses that aren't picked up in the trip odometer.

Rivian R1T R1S Electrical Efficiency (how many miles/kWh are you achieving) 1703888820232

I have never figured out what Rivian includes in the trip odometer efficiency (just motors but no cabin?), if one takes 9332 miles divided by 4250.8 kWh you would get just shy of 2.20 mi/kWh which hopefully include cabin and battery conditioning. But since I wish to include the full cost of charging in my efficiency I can pull the charging history from the Rivian API and find:

Lifetime energy added: 4376.8 kWh
Lifetime efficiency: 2.13 mi/kWh
Lifetime range added: 9694 mi

This is a mix of DCFC and L2 charging so it is probably safe to derate your Rivian reported efficiency by 0.9 or so to adjust for charging inefficiencies and other energy uses not included in the stated efficiency.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

R1T, mostly on Conserve driving mode, with factory original 21" tires = 2.22 miles per kWh.

I've showed you mine. Now kindly show me yours.
that is not very good for 21s and conserve mode.

mine was 2.28 kWh after 10000 miles on 20 AT tires. i recently took a trip to LA and that dipped the efficiency so not stand at 2.19 kWh.

based on this small sample size, 21s do not seem to be getting very good efficiency and 20s are doing surprisingly better.

RivianRiverRat

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla 3, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Just had my one year ownership anniversary on 12-26-2023 pretty much all on standard mode and height
Rivian R1T R1S Electrical Efficiency (how many miles/kWh are you achieving) IMG_1179

TigerWuxia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Quad
Agreed. My observation is the efficiency reported in trip summary overestimates 10 to 15% vs the real world efficiency.

I wanted to compare my lifetime trip odometer values to the total energy added to the vehicle which you can find in the Rivian app. This turns out to be the true cost of ownership since it includes the charging losses that aren't picked up in the trip odometer.

1703888820232.png

I have never figured out what Rivian includes in the trip odometer efficiency (just motors but no cabin?), if one takes 9332 miles divided by 4250.8 kWh you would get just shy of 2.20 mi/kWh which hopefully include cabin and battery conditioning. But since I wish to include the full cost of charging in my efficiency I can pull the charging history from the Rivian API and find:

Lifetime energy added: 4376.8 kWh
Lifetime efficiency: 2.13 mi/kWh
Lifetime range added: 9694 mi

This is a mix of DCFC and L2 charging so it is probably safe to derate your Rivian reported efficiency by 0.9 or so to adjust for charging inefficiencies and other energy uses not included in the stated efficiency.
Sponsored