hkb26

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S5
Clubs

I picked up a brand new 12 gallon drunk water tank today. Details here.

My R1S didn't come with the frunk 12v outlet but as others have mentioned the harness that feeds the driver's side frunk light still had the 12v wires attached. A lot of people have been trying to find an after market plug for this. Instead of going that route I just used wire taps to splice the wires directly.

The tank comes with a nice cigarette 12v plug with a built-in power switch. I disassembled this and installed it all directly in the frunk tub. Pictures below.

Rivian R1T R1S Frunk Water Tank (Rivian-Aftermarket / Boxgods) and Custom 12v installed IMG_0142

Added the wire taps here. The pink is positive, black is negative.

Rivian R1T R1S Frunk Water Tank (Rivian-Aftermarket / Boxgods) and Custom 12v installed IMG_0163

Splices I used.

Rivian R1T R1S Frunk Water Tank (Rivian-Aftermarket / Boxgods) and Custom 12v installed IMG_0166

Rivian R1T R1S Frunk Water Tank (Rivian-Aftermarket / Boxgods) and Custom 12v installed IMG_0165

Verifying polarity and voltage.

Rivian R1T R1S Frunk Water Tank (Rivian-Aftermarket / Boxgods) and Custom 12v installed IMG_0167

Installing the switch and a pass through for the wire. Installed both at the top of the funk so that it's safe if I ever want to use the frunk as an ice cooler. I just drilled through the tub and then pushed in the items from the disassembled cigarette 12V power supply. I'm going to get some caulk or glue and go back and seal these holes properly later this week.

Rivian R1T R1S Frunk Water Tank (Rivian-Aftermarket / Boxgods) and Custom 12v installed IMG_0169

Verifying everything looks good after installing the switch and passing the wires through. (And yes I properly soldered those connections and wrapped and secured them before putting the plastic cover back on.)

Rivian R1T R1S Frunk Water Tank (Rivian-Aftermarket / Boxgods) and Custom 12v installed IMG_0171

I'm super happy with how it ended up looking.

Rivian R1T R1S Frunk Water Tank (Rivian-Aftermarket / Boxgods) and Custom 12v installed IMG_0172

If you get one of these make sure to run a ton of water through it. Otherwise it'll taste like plastic.

Rivian R1T R1S Frunk Water Tank (Rivian-Aftermarket / Boxgods) and Custom 12v installed IMG_0174

Installed...

Rivian R1T R1S Frunk Water Tank (Rivian-Aftermarket / Boxgods) and Custom 12v installed IMG_0173

... and working.

Last thing on my list to do is to drill holes through the divider in the frunk so it lays flat and I don't need to lift it up to operate.

Hope you all enjoyed this!

Rivian R1T R1S Frunk Water Tank (Rivian-Aftermarket / Boxgods) and Custom 12v installed IMG_0166
Sponsored

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Great job. Too bad the stream is so weak

Sponsored

OP
OP

hkb26

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S5
Clubs

Nice work! Question, is there a reason you decided not to install a 12v cigarette female plug instead?
I don't really have a need for the plug. I like the idea of it being built in. Also a lot of people talk about using the frunk for a refrigerator but because the radiator for the AC and battery cooling is directly on the other side of the tub it gets way too warm in there for those to run properly.

Synapticon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired
FWIW, to remove the plastic odor/taste in my "WOOTER", I searched extensively through various "recipes". What worked for me was this:

1. Rinse once with tap water. (maybe not necessary depending on your local water).
2. 1 cup white vinegar + 1 T. bleach + smidgen of Dawn.
3. Shake a few times during the fill process.
4. Let it sit overnight.
5. Rinse by filling with a few gallons, and shake. 2-3 times. I added a couple of tablespoons of baking soda for the first rinse. Drain.
6. Fill.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Nice work! Question, is there a reason you decided not to install a 12v cigarette female plug instead?
Likely because he needs power for this specific need and don’t foresee removing the tank often, if ever. He’s got a length of wire now to the pump. So, it wouldn’t be much trouble to turn that into leads for a socket at later date.

I’m curious which fuse—in the factory fuse boxes—this circuit is linked to. Is it even fused? If so, changing a fuse under the dash is probably more convenient than a fuse buried in the frunk or under frunk trims. I can see using this as power source to a remote controlled power distribution block (Garmin, Auxbeam, etc.) to light bar, ditch lights, water tank… Gauge of wire might be insufficient though.

Smlee

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3, BMW X5, BMW 330 and Winnebago Aspect
Nice idea and love the great ways to make these trucks and SUV’s super cool and useful.

Sponsored

OP
OP

hkb26

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S5
Clubs

Likely because he needs power for this specific need and don’t foresee removing the tank often, if ever. He’s got a length of wire now to the pump. So, it wouldn’t be much trouble to turn that into leads for a socket at later date.

I’m curious which fuse—in the factory fuse boxes—this circuit is linked to. Is it even fused? If so, changing a fuse under the dash is probably more convenient than a fuse buried in the frunk or under frunk trims. I can see using this as power source to a remote controlled power distribution block (Garmin, Auxbeam, etc.) to light bar, ditch lights, water tank… Gauge of wire might be insufficient though.
I'd imagine it has to be fused given it's the same wires used when the cigarette plug is installed. Seems like they would keep it the same. I'll have to see if I can figure that out though. If it's not I definitely need to add one.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
OP
OP

hkb26

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S5
Clubs

Weird. The title of my post was updated by someone else. Anyone seen that happen before?

huskybrewing

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Clubs

This product (the water tank, not the wiring stuff) is made by Rivian-Aftermarket, a sponsor of this page. I think that's what OP was referring to about the changed being changed?

I have one also, although I haven't had an opportunity to use it yet. All of the components seem very well made.
Sponsored