First Name
Bernard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Engineer
R1T owner here. I've had an R1S for 5 weeks while the truck was in for service. My feedback:

• Cognitively, you'll get an identical driving experience
  • R1S is easier to whip around, easier to park
  • R1S provided a lower driving comfort level; we found that it was a bit more bouncy than the R1T, which caused a bit of nausea for backseat passengers, especially if you were in auto low height. Standard All Purpose Soft is the best all around mode for passenger comfort; zero issues with any drive mode and nausea on the R1T
  • R1S cabin has a larger volume which requires the HVAC system to work harder to pre-cool/heat; maintaining is not an issue; many R1S owner complaints about the cooling system being lackluster and I'm sure it's purely based on the volume needing to be conditioned
  • R1S had a decent amount of cargo space; I needed to pickup a replacement solar panel and it was able to fit with no issue, inside the vehicle with both sets of seats down
  • I missed the R1T gear tunnel the most; needed that many times for the various hiking trips we went on
  • We both prefer the R1T bed-height crossbar mounting point, for our bike racks and now a Yakima Roadshower for hosing bikes and dogs
While we were glad to have a Rivian while our truck was in for a lengthy service visit, we're both very glad to have the R1T back home.
Can you show a picture of your bikes mount onto the R1T bed-height crossbar because we see mostly bikes mounted on the cabin height crossbar. This is interesting for me. I have order a R1T Max in june 2020
Sponsored

bike123.com

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 bolt 1 Kona ev
Occupation
Bicycle store proprietor
Clubs

Just took delivery of our R1S which is replacing the gas guzzling G63!

Our truck arrived one year early! But given that we just had our third child, it’s a welcome addition. Our older children immediately said get rid of the G63.

Wanted to keep the defender as it is a trek edition, but after driving the R1 S for a week really considering getting rid of the Defender as well and picking up an R1 T. Has anyone owned both or switched from R1S to R1T or vice versa?

66674CF5-E189-48EF-B98B-C98A9BE90DED.jpeg

0FE775EA-1F11-4FBD-A451-294200E0CCF9.jpeg
We’ve owned wagons, astros & express vans, sprinter, 5 Prius, 2 bolt, kona ev, plugin volt
Never SUV nor PU.
Found out the S would be available in 7 pax only and maybe fit 1 bike inside without fanagling so switched to T and now wondered how we ever lived without it.
Road trips after road trips, daily deliveries, now a teardrop tow truck.
very beat up but still ticking and no major trouble except the $4000 rear glass we smashed could be guarded better and easier to replace though Maryland SC got it done for $1600
If we ever need a bus for 7 people we’ll rent something but 5 pax would have been the sweet spot
how many with the 7 pax S have ever filled all seats??

Big_Ike

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MYP, '22 R1T, '23 R1S
Occupation
Parenting
Clubs

We’ve owned wagons, astros & express vans, sprinter, 5 Prius, 2 bolt, kona ev, plugin volt
Never SUV nor PU.
Found out the S would be available in 7 pax only and maybe fit 1 bike inside without fanagling so switched to T and now wondered how we ever lived without it.
very beat up but still ticking and no major trouble except the $4000 rear glass we smashed could be guarded better and easier to replace though Maryland SC got it done for $1600
If we ever need a bus for 7 people we’ll rent something but 5 pax would have been the sweet spot
I've filled the seats in the S a couple of times - I make my 16 yr old drive a few of us to and from dinners where I know the wine will be flowing🍾🍷!

OP
OP
Groshyubcha

Groshyubcha

First Name
Taras
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S + Land Rover Defender Trek Edition
R1T owner here. I've had an R1S for 5 weeks while the truck was in for service. My feedback:

• Cognitively, you'll get an identical driving experience
  • R1S is easier to whip around, easier to park
  • R1S provided a lower driving comfort level; we found that it was a bit more bouncy than the R1T, which caused a bit of nausea for backseat passengers, especially if you were in auto low height. Standard All Purpose Soft is the best all around mode for passenger comfort; zero issues with any drive mode and nausea on the R1T
  • R1S cabin has a larger volume which requires the HVAC system to work harder to pre-cool/heat; maintaining is not an issue; many R1S owner complaints about the cooling system being lackluster and I'm sure it's purely based on the volume needing to be conditioned
  • R1S had a decent amount of cargo space; I needed to pickup a replacement solar panel and it was able to fit with no issue, inside the vehicle with both sets of seats down
  • I missed the R1T gear tunnel the most; needed that many times for the various hiking trips we went on
  • We both prefer the R1T bed-height crossbar mounting point, for our bike racks and now a Yakima Roadshower for hosing bikes and dogs
While we were glad to have a Rivian while our truck was in for a lengthy service visit, we're both very glad to have the R1T back home.
Thank you for such a comprehensive explanation! I do find it unnerving to put anything heavy on the cross bars over a glass roof. Has anyone experimented with glass covers/roof protectors https://a.co/d/0FvWdsj

OP
OP
Groshyubcha

Groshyubcha

First Name
Taras
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have an R1S and an R1T on the way, hopefully by end of the month. While I thought I would switch, I think I've decided to keep both with the R1S the daily driver and the R1T for adventuring/camping/housework.

The short wheelbase of the R1S just makes it easier to get around town and there is plenty of storage for trips to the store and a people hauler. For road trips, it's been great but it isn't always great for camping or doing anything off road where you or your gear are going to get dirty. I really liked having the R1T to do those things.

Obviously this is a unique position to be in but rather than spend more on a big adventure van, I am opting for the R1T + RTT because I've loved the R1S so much and I don't want to buy another ICE.

Hope this is helpful.
Super helpful! I want to join you in having that combination as well. Our friends left us their sprinter for a few months; while it is a wonderful vehicle in terms of utility, the practicality as well as ability to use off-road is limited.
I am finding it what everyone has said about the R 1 S to be true!
Congratulations and look forward to seeing some pictures of the two together

Sponsored

OP
OP
Groshyubcha

Groshyubcha

First Name
Taras
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I live in Georgia, and there are only few challenging off-roading here (that I know of). So, the community I joined, they travel 2+ hours from Georgia to other states for offroading.
The problem is, I need to drive up there separately, go find the charging station that is not close to the actual off-roading spot, and charge up 40+ mins, then head back there .

Meanwhile, the rest of the gangs group up and drive together... :-(

Since I can't stay in group, I feel isolated and lonely from the rest of the gangs if not culprit to their entertainment.

The community is planning for 14+ day trip to Denver, CO, and I really want to join them, but I doubt that I can with R1T...

I can't ask them to spend 8 additional hours for charging break, let alone during off-roading days...

Maybe I shouldn't have gotten into off-roading at all. Now that I do, I don't know if the EVs are ready for the off-roading yet...

Edit: Maybe, off-roading solo works great, just not at a group level yet..
Times like this, I wish there was a vehicle share program for enthusiast similar to Turo and Gotham Dream Car Rental but for off-roading…. Hmmmm 🤔🤔🤔🤔

OP
OP
Groshyubcha

Groshyubcha

First Name
Taras
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Awesome line up!
I've got both the R1T & S. I can't decide which I like better. I've had a lot of first iteration issues with the T that I haven't experienced with the S. I've got a pending reservation that I may use to replace the T with a newer version.
Sweet! Thanks for being a pioneer 😄
Such a good conundrum to have; which is better!

OP
OP
Groshyubcha

Groshyubcha

First Name
Taras
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
We originally put our reservation down on a R1S and then the wife and I talked about it and decided that we don't need to haul kids around in it since our oldest is 32 and our youngest is 25, so we switched to the R1T after a couple of weeks. It gave us a quicker delivery day which went from probably next year sometime for the R1S to us picking up our R1T this past May (ordered in October of last year).
Yes! Congrats! Well now you may be on the hook for helping neighbors. Nothing attracts new friends like having a pick up truck. You are the most popular person in the neighborhood when someone has a favor!

OP
OP
Groshyubcha

Groshyubcha

First Name
Taras
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Never SUV nor PU.
Awesome to hear! The R1T sounds like the perfect adventure vehicle. Looking forward to version 2.0
Funny story, our 9,7, and 1 month old were all next to each other in the LR-D and G63. Inevitably, the 7+9 year old would bicker than my wife and I would have to engage in de-escalation tactics (reaching behind and swinging at them while driving). This past Friday, after soccer practice, they were at each other. My wife sent the 9 year old to the rear most row. Within 5 minutes he fell asleep!!! It was marvelous!

Southern R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (LE/GW/OC/20"AT), Lexus GX 460 Luxury
Occupation
Builder
I'd personally keep the G63 & dump the Defender, but that's mostly because I'm a sucker for the timeless beauty that is the G-Wagon (and even more so when they have the matte paint like yours does).

If you did that and added an R1T you've have a more luxury oriented small/mid size SUV (G63), a less luxurious but more offroad capable 7-seater SUV (R1S), and and offroad capable pickup truck (R1T) which is a little more versatile in my opinion vs. two similarly sized / equipped SUVs if you keep both the R1S and Defender.

I'm also still in the early stages of EV ownership and really like having an ICE vehicle around when needed (in our case, we kept the GX460 and dumped another vehicle when I took delivery of the R1S). I'm sure I'll get over that as I'm realizing more & more that range anxiety is really pretty non-existent with the range the R1 offers, but ICE is still almost always going to be more convenient in limited situations (like when we're towing the boat over a longer distance).

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Groshyubcha

Groshyubcha

First Name
Taras
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I've filled the seats in the S a couple of times - I make my 16 yr old drive a few of us to and from dinners where I know the wine will be flowing🍾🍷!
Current setup:
Driver - wife
Passenger - 9 year old
1st row- newborn and me
2nd row (one seat)- 7 year old
Behind/adjacent to 2nd row- dogs

OP
OP
Groshyubcha

Groshyubcha

First Name
Taras
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'd personally keep the G63 & dump the Defender, but that's mostly because I'm a sucker for the timeless beauty that is the G-Wagon (and even more so when they have the matte paint like yours does).

If you did that and added an R1T you've have a small-mid size SUV (G63), a 7-seater SUV (R1S), and pickup truck (R1T), vs. two similarly sized SUVs if you keep both the R1S and Defender.
We thought about this option, but the Defender is the around the house workhorse.
I have used the winch to pull tree trunks, even help the local police clear trees out of the way after a storm. The G was an experience, and I like the look, but everything about it is stupidly expensive.
As posted earlier, will likely wait for version 2.0. We also still do some longer road trips in the winter time for skiing. I want to see how the R1S Owner handles cold temperatures from a battery standpoint.
Love the GX 460 by the way

Rivian R1T R1S Has anyone switched from R1S <—> R1T IMG_9854

Last edited:

IGR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
I make things
Clubs

Thank you so much!
The G 63 was from my wife, someone who has always been a Mercedes Fallon girl. Jason Camissa said it best, it’s a jeep wrangler designed by Germans.
15:58
The G63 theatrics, namely, the exhaust was what my wife said she missed most of all. Driving dynamics: It is nowhere near as stable as a rivian.
The leather interior is very supple, as are the air bladder support seats. It is luxurious inside until you start driving. The stereo is despicable for a $200,000 vehicle let alone for anything over $50,000!
Infotainment is outdated.
But it does have a wonderfully aggressive street presence. I admire those who modify them and take them off road.
The rivian does everything better without getting 4 miles per gallon
Thanks for the insight, I've always wanted to know how Rivian would compare to other luxury brands.

I have to say that coming from SRT Durango, I also miss the sound of the exhaust, those popping sounds it made when downshifting... 🤤

However, the turbine whine of quad motors is pretty cool as well.

OP
OP
Groshyubcha

Groshyubcha

First Name
Taras
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for the insight, I've always wanted to know how Rivian would compare to other luxury brands.

I have to say that coming from SRT Durango, I also miss the sound of the exhaust, those popping sounds it made when downshifting... 🤤

However, the turbine whine of quad motors is pretty cool as well.
SRT Durango is brilliant! Raucous sound for sure. My wife misses that spitfire sound.

Reactions: IGR

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

Yes! Congrats! Well now you may be on the hook for helping neighbors. Nothing attracts new friends like having a pick up truck. You are the most popular person in the neighborhood when someone has a favor!
yes...plan on offering charging of phones and tableets if there is ever a need.
Sponsored