Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Rivian’s new duffel bag arrived a short while ago. I took a few shots of it to give you my thoughts. It’s a pretty good sized duffel with plenty of room for coats, shoes, etc. Besides the main compartment, has two zipped end pockets, two interior mesh pockets, and a interior zipped pocket along the top flap. Interestingly the duffel also comes with a repair kit that is contained in a snap close sleeve.

The bag is pretty well made IMO with a durable material that really maches well with Launch Green. One thing I immediately noticed was that there is a flap of material that overlaps the zipper for the main compartment. Most duffels have an exposed zipper. I like this treatment. The zippers are plastic and feel pretty sturdy with pull cords attached. The interior is a water resistant material so I don’t think wet clothing will be a problem. Carrying the bag should be pretty easy as it has handles on the top, sides, and front. The strap material for the front and side handles wraps around three sides of the bag with several loops that allow you to clip things on like the carabiner key (though I don’t think any of us would chance that.) The back wall has a deep pocket with a magnetic snap that conceals the shoulder straps should you want to carry the bag like a backpack. There are three anchor points on the top and bottom of the bag that the shoulder straps hook into. The hooks themselves seem to be a pretty sturdy metal. BTW, don’t suddenly pull the straps out of their storage pocket. I got popped in the eye by one of those metal hooks. And, of course, the bag is shaped to fit right into your gear tunnel. As you can see from the pictures, it doesn’t fill the gear tunnel but it’s a good shape for it. Finally, there are two straps in front of the bag that can be used to cinch it down. The buckles for those straps are metal.

I can only see a few downsides. The top handles can be strapped together, like most duffels, but the snaps for them are plastic, instead of velcro or metal. Time will tell if they will stand up to use. The side pockets are narrow at the top, making it hard to get larger hands into them. They also do not expand into the interior of the bag so you can’t put a lot of things in there anyways.

The bag retails for $175. It’s got Rivian logos on the sides, front, and on the shoulder straps. I’d say it’s a very good quality back and worth the cash. My only question is whether the odd shape will be more of an annoyance than a help in fitting it into the gear tunnel. Really I don’t expect much of a problem there but I’ll keep an eye on it.

So did anyone else get their bag yet? What do you think of it so far? Do you think it’s worth the $175?

Rivian R1T R1S Quick look review:  Rivian Duffel Bag IMG_0457

Rivian R1T R1S Quick look review:  Rivian Duffel Bag IMG_0458

Rivian R1T R1S Quick look review:  Rivian Duffel Bag IMG_0460

Rivian R1T R1S Quick look review:  Rivian Duffel Bag IMG_0461

Rivian R1T R1S Quick look review:  Rivian Duffel Bag IMG_0463

Rivian R1T R1S Quick look review:  Rivian Duffel Bag img_0470-jpe

Rivian R1T R1S Quick look review:  Rivian Duffel Bag img_0471-jpe

Rivian R1T R1S Quick look review:  Rivian Duffel Bag IMG_0462

Rivian R1T R1S Quick look review:  Rivian Duffel Bag IMG_0465

Rivian R1T R1S Quick look review:  Rivian Duffel Bag IMG_0469

Rivian R1T R1S Quick look review:  Rivian Duffel Bag IMG_0466
Sponsored

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Awesome and thorough review! Thanks for taking the time to post along with pictures.

I felt like the $175 for the duffel was pretty steep considering the tailgate pad was only $25 more!

Your review helps highlight the quality of the bag and that the price is justified so that helps me get off the fence.

Now if Rivian could just make a tonneau cover (manual or power) that was as well constructed as their accessories...

OP
OP
Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Can you post a few pictures of the inside? I've been eyeing that for my new rock climbing bag as the one I currently use is beat to hell. The shoulder straps are nice if I ever decide to visit the crag instead of just the gym.

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X Plaid, Tesla Model Y Performance
Clubs

Thanks for the comprehensive review. The bag looks cool.

Do you think it’s possible to stack two on top of each other in the gear tunnel? Looking at your helpful photos, it doesn’t really look possible. But maybe if the top bag wasn’t quite all the way full?

Sponsored

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
Frankly the Count was unimpressed when Munro did his tear-down of the Rivian duffel bag although it was the most watchable video his people have ever done.

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Looks like a nice bag. While I get the shape is the point, I'm struggling with it. I've never had issue getting any soft bag to conform with the gear tunnel, so I don't know if I get the point. And if you end up keeping the bag longer than the truck it might be a bit silly with an odd shaped bag. I think I'd understand the shape more if it was a hard bag. Anyway, I'll keep thinking about it...

OP
OP
Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Can you post a few pictures of the inside? I've been eyeing that for my new rock climbing bag as the one I currently use is beat to hell. The shoulder straps are nice if I ever decide to visit the crag instead of just the gym.
I grant thine request.
Rivian R1T R1S Quick look review:  Rivian Duffel Bag IMG_0470

Rivian R1T R1S Quick look review:  Rivian Duffel Bag IMG_0471

Thanks for the comprehensive review. The bag looks cool.

Do you think it’s possible to stack two on top of each other in the gear tunnel? Looking at your helpful photos, it doesn’t really look possible. But maybe if the top bag wasn’t quite all the way full?
If stacking two full bags? No.
If stacking 1 and a half full bags? Perhaps.
But you can definitely fit two bags the length of the gear tunnel.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Thank you. It looks as though said bag will fit my purposes nicely.

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Is the actual shape of it like a rhomboid (shape of the gear tunnel)? Or did it take that shape after you stuck it in the gear tunnel?

I'm not sure why I'm even asking since I'm getting an R1S haha. But it could be a fun bag to have for the frunk/other places.

Sponsored

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X Plaid, Tesla Model Y Performance
Clubs

Thank you for the quick reply. It didn’t look like they could be stacked, but at least they fit side-by-side, as you said.

OP
OP
Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Is the actual shape of it like a rhomboid (shape of the gear tunnel)? Or did it take that shape after you stuck it in the gear tunnel?

I'm not sure why I'm even asking since I'm getting an R1S haha. But it could be a fun bag to have for the frunk/other places.
It’s the actual shape…

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
Thanks for a great review. It's tempting. Are the dimensions within the limits of a carry on for flying?

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
Was there a country of origin label anywhere on it? I didn't see one on the gear shop page.

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
Thanks for the review! I really want to pull the trigger on this and probably will now.
Sponsored