Sponsored

Help me solve a mystery (likely Rivian valet abuse)

Bee

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 Lightning, '23 Ioniq 5
So I rent out my R1S in a small all-EV fleet I have, have a lot of fun, most of the renters are great. This one has been a challenge but I'm pretty confident it's not his fault. But, he's still going to have to pay for it (happened on his watch), which, is fucked up. Help me see if we can get some clues from this and get this back in the parking attendant's liability where it seemingly belongs.

Guest checks into a hotel that he knows the staff well, parking garage is run by Icon for them though so removes the layer of trust. Stays there for about a week, car never moves from the hotel but is moved once in the garage (can tell by scene change in motion camera).

What do you guys think happened? Best I can figure is they crashed into a lift and then the lift fell on the roof? WTF? Could it have been under a lift in kneel mode perhaps?

Apologies for the cell phone videos, I can't pull them off I have that data port disabled from the factory thing (getting fixed tomorrow I believe).

This is from Bouncie (GPS tracker), showing each time the car was started. Renter dropped to hotel at 6:00 on Sunday, I picked it up from the hotel personally on 8/3 (today) @ 10:00AM
Rivian R1T R1S Help me solve a mystery (likely Rivian valet abuse) 1691110347330

Damage under front passenger bumper:
Rivian R1T R1S Help me solve a mystery (likely Rivian valet abuse) 1691110429386

Leaking CV Joint under passenger side:
Rivian R1T R1S Help me solve a mystery (likely Rivian valet abuse) 1691110448631

Greece in wheel:
Rivian R1T R1S Help me solve a mystery (likely Rivian valet abuse) 1691110476332

Pushed in front license plate:
Rivian R1T R1S Help me solve a mystery (likely Rivian valet abuse) 1691110618423

Wheel rash:
Rivian R1T R1S Help me solve a mystery (likely Rivian valet abuse) 1691110631289

Damage to roof:
Rivian R1T R1S Help me solve a mystery (likely Rivian valet abuse) 1691110645281

Rubble on hood (note the pebble still on hood as I drive away from hotel)
Rivian R1T R1S Help me solve a mystery (likely Rivian valet abuse) 1691110678431

Attendant wipes off hood

Big boss man hood (front)

Big boss man checks out neighboring lift after checking fron (side)

Edit: Vimeo embed is broken. Linked instead.
Sponsored

Last edited:

onebadmofo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla MY LR
Occupation
I know how to exit VIM
Clubs

Videos aren't working.
Duane Reade means NYC, right? If the car left parking lot they will deny any and all damage.

I think grease has been there for a while. I reckon it would takes a longer time to accumulate so much grease.

As of roof damage it could've been anything. I had a damn sprinker pipe fall on one of my cars in parking garage in NYC.

Sorry.

OP
OP
Bee

Bee

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Videos aren't working.
Duane Reade means NYC, right? If the car left parking lot they will deny any and all damage.

I think grease has been there for a while. I reckon it would takes a longer time to accumulate so much grease.

As of roof damage it could've been anything. I had a damn sprinker pipe fall on one of my cars in parking garage in NYC.

Sorry.
Nah, I have the renter agreeing that I'll take the car to a charger and do the checkout photos. Turo is good about that. He ran the car down to 30 miles and I needed to recover it and I couldn't have it sitting on the side of the street to take photos, was blocking a truck or I would have.

Videos fixed.

onebadmofo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla MY LR
Occupation
I know how to exit VIM
Clubs

I meant recovery from the parking lot. From my own experience even with dashcam video and valet ADMITTING they they hit something my insurance wasn't able to recover anything. I lost my $500 deductible on this butthole.

OP
OP
Bee

Bee

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I meant recovery from the parking lot. From my own experience even with dashcam video and valet ADMITTING they they hit something my insurance wasn't able to recover anything. I lost my $500 deductible on this butthole.

I thought about that but I think he actually has a damn good shot if the hotel places pressure on the parking lot. That's a damn big client and he's an important guest to them.

Sponsored

onebadmofo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla MY LR
Occupation
I know how to exit VIM
Clubs

In that case yeah. Since it's Turo, get an estimate from bodyshop for roof and bumper damage and let the customer deal with it. Can't please everyone in this world.

As of leaky CV boot take it to service, I remember seeing that happening to someone.

OP
OP
Bee

Bee

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
In that case yeah. Since it's Turo, get an estimate from bodyshop for roof and bumper damage and let the customer deal with it. Can't please everyone in this world.

As of leaky CV boot take it to service, I remember seeing that happening to someone.
Nah, I never let my guests eat damage if I can get away with it. It doesn't help me any, does it? This is fucked up, Icon can pay for it, they're huge.

You have no idea, all my guests are super honest, last one who broke the vents on the Rivian sent me a text, "I need to self report." If we're all going to play by the rules, we're going to let the big conglomerate off the hook? F that.

onebadmofo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla MY LR
Occupation
I know how to exit VIM
Clubs

In that case get a PDR guy look at it, it's a relatively minor dent and if they can figure out how to get to it from other side then I'd cost you just few hundred bucks.

As of bumper leave it be, it's a bumper and it will get scratched, especially in NYC.

OP
OP
Bee

Bee

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
In that case get a PDR guy look at it, it's a relatively minor dent and if they can figure out how to get to it from other side then I'd cost you just few hundred bucks.

As of bumper leave it be, it's a bumper and it will get scratched, especially in NYC.
I think Rivian is going to replace the CV joint under warranty, I made the argument that it couldn't have broke from impact and they seem to agree so that one is maybe solved.

The plan was to have him pay for the wheel and I'd just let him off the hook for the bumper (before I discovered the roof). It's actually pretty bad but it's underneath. Normally I wouldn't let it go but he's kinda getting boned here. Maybe I'll just wrap them in like black brushed metal or something. I already paid extra and had the wheel shop paint the wheels satin black while they had it. Might as well make the car slightly unique from all this nonsense lol.

The roof is the question mark. Every time I see a Rivian body panel in potential need of replacing I envision $5k+ at an absolute minimum.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

What in the world are we looking at here? Is this one of those garages where they lift the cars and stack them overtop of each other to save space? Crazy.

Barring the fact that I'd never do any of these things, is it possible the truck adjusted its suspension while parked (possibly due to whatever happened to the CV axle) and pushed itself into the bottom of the car above it?

Obviously something either fell on it or it went up into the bottom of something else, or else those people wouldn't have been looking at it like that in the videos and you wouldn't have the debris on the hood. 🤷

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bee

Bee

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
What in the world are we looking at here? Is this one of those garages where they lift the cars and stack them overtop of each other to save space? Crazy.

Barring the fact that I'd never do any of these things, is it possible the truck adjusted its suspension while parked (possibly due to whatever happened to the CV axle) and pushed itself into the bottom of the car above it?

Obviously something either fell on it or it went up into the bottom of something else, or else those people wouldn't have been looking at it like that in the videos and you wouldn't have the debris on the hood. 🤷
None if it makes sense, not even the kneeling. You don't lower a car down on top of it, once it's up and the other car is underneath, it stays put, right? You'd have no reason to move it.

Wheel damage AND roof damage, I think they just hit the damn thing maybe.

onebadmofo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla MY LR
Occupation
I know how to exit VIM
Clubs

What in the world are we looking at here? Is this one of those garages where they lift the cars and stack them overtop of each other to save space?
I take it you never been to NYC parking garages? The space it at such premium they will double and triple-stack the cars (and it still costs $50-80 on average for few hours of parking).

A garage just collapsed few months ago here, it was all over in the news.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
The only way you can actually prove it was the valet is if there are hotel cameras in that garage or if you are able to get that gear guard footage. I hope both are possible.

It probably is worth having a PDR guy look at the roof. It’s a weird spot though. If you can’t get anything out of the hotel it might save your customer big bucks vs going to a body shop.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

I just watched your third video, and holy cr@p man, what is going on with that column? When boss-man is taking photos.

Unless this is just bad artifacting from your camera, this place looks like it could go at any minute. I'd stay as far away as possible. You've seen video of the Surfside condo collapse, right? 😲

Rivian R1T R1S Help me solve a mystery (likely Rivian valet abuse) 1691113790912

Edit: Also there's debris on the ground to the right of the column.

OP
OP
Bee

Bee

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I don't know if these are clues are not, but the last videos I have on the motion camera are on 7/31 at 12:05 PM and the car was started for 5 minutes on that date at 6:04 AM. They're supposed to last 10 days, no? Size limit perhaps?

Rivian R1T R1S Help me solve a mystery (likely Rivian valet abuse) 1691114057713

Another weirdness, one deleted angle on the last video:
Rivian R1T R1S Help me solve a mystery (likely Rivian valet abuse) 1691114107540
Sponsored

Reactions: sub