Sponsored

zonehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
200 Series Land Cruiser, R1T Adventure FG (Sold)
Warning, long post ahead... If you look at my post history I asked last year about connecting auxiliary accessories. I had a few that I pulled from my previous vehicle, a GX460.

In the last few months a few people have begun showing how they've connected some different accessories and thus gave me the motivation to get these things installed. A huge thanks to @WattTruckMatt for responding to my questions on his build thread and for helping pave a path. The below is lengthy but I wanted to capture a lot of details about my experience incase others were looking at one approach to installing accessories

My goal was to install as much as I could while minimizing permanent modifications. I did end up drilling a few holes for a track mount on the bed. I picked one of the smaller pieces that you can relatively easily remove and I will be ordering a replacement part of it just to have if I decide to change this approach with a bed rack or if I part out the vehicle in the future.

Parts Used (none of these links are referrals, just trying to share what I used):
Install Process/Write Up
*Disclaimer, do any modifications at your own risk, doing anything like connecting things to the 12v batteries could be just reason to void a warranty or insurance claim if the problem might be related to the modifications.

Did you read the disclaimer above, seriously.... it's not too challenging of an install but these modifications could be enough for Rivian to not honor a warranty service. Additionally, you may find a better way to do this and if so please feel free to share with me, I'm always open to seeing how people approach these types of projects... Alright let's get started, so I decided to mount the WeBoost and Midland GMRS under the seat near the subwoofer. I knew I was going to be running cables up the passenger side of the vehicle as there is an existing firewall wire passthrough that leads above the passenger footwell and close to the where the Garmin PowerSwitch would be mounted. I also knew there was a little bit of space between the air filter and strut tower near the 12v battery system. This space is small and cramped which is another reason why I went with the Garmin PowerSwitch due to its small profile.
Rivian R1T R1S Zonehawk R1T Build & Accessories Install Walkthrough 1690746926681
Rivian R1T R1S Zonehawk R1T Build & Accessories Install Walkthrough 1690747049615
Rivian R1T R1S Zonehawk R1T Build & Accessories Install Walkthrough 1690748814552

You can remove the top paneling above the batteries and the frunk to get access to the area you'll be doing all the work in. You dont need to remove any other panels for this. I used a small step ladder and hopped up into the frunk. It's a tiny space for a human so be prepared for your legs to go numb after a while. You'll lift the plastic funnel leading into the filter and set it up near the windshield. The sensor and cable connected to it shouldn't need to be removed, just remember to place it back before closing the frunk when all said and done.
Rivian R1T R1S Zonehawk R1T Build & Accessories Install Walkthrough 1690747189577

You will want a head lamp or ample lighting, the hood provides a lot of shade. The wire passthrough into the passenger footwell is to the left of the filter, and where I'm mounting the Garmin is to the right. I decided to run the cabling first. It's hard to get through this passthrough and I wish it was more easily accessible (or if Rivian just included built in Auxiliary connections) but getting the the cables run through and reachable into the passenger footwell probably took longer than the entire rest of the process for me. I ended up buying some special tools from amazon to make it a bit easier for me. I was able to get a coat hanger through but these passthroughs are capped with rubber on the interior side of the vehicle so unless you remove the entire rubber grommet and slice the tips off the interior rubber ends, you'll want to find a good strategy for pulling wire; a wire coat hanger struggled to pull a wire through in my experience. As a side note, you cannot easily access or see this passthrough from the interior. For me there was a bundle of wiring and a harness blocking most of it, so having a long tool to fish around it makes it far more manageable. The passenger footwell kick panel is connected with two T20 or T25 (can't recall which size) Torx screws and a few clips; it also has the wiring for the footwell light which is just a normal harness you can unclip and remove. I ran my own wires through from the frunk side and then spliced them with the power from the WeBoost and Midland GMRS (after running their wiring up to the front of the vehicle) because it was easier for me than trying to fish the wires from that footwell into the frunk. I also recommend lowering the vehicle as low as it can go and moving the passenger seat as far back and low as it can go to give yourself enough room to contort into this small space when looking for the wire you've pushed from the frunk. One final note on the Midland Antenna Cable, it's a bit larger than other cables so I ended up fishing that through the top of the passthrough and reseating the rubber grommet after successfully pulling it through.
Rivian R1T R1S Zonehawk R1T Build & Accessories Install Walkthrough 1690747236923
Rivian R1T R1S Zonehawk R1T Build & Accessories Install Walkthrough 1690747245301
Rivian R1T R1S Zonehawk R1T Build & Accessories Install Walkthrough 1690747259017
Rivian R1T R1S Zonehawk R1T Build & Accessories Install Walkthrough 1690747263861

After placing the WeBoost and Midland into under seat storage. I removed the backseat following this less than one minute guide. Removing the backseat allowed me to see where I could ground some of these accessories and it made it easier to run cabling from not only the bed but also back towards the front of the vehicle. A couple notes on the backseats, there is a plastic covering right at the base of the seats that are held in with clips on each side and there are two wiring harnesses at the very bottom on each side (I'm assuming for the heated seat function), they're normal clips and easy to disconnect before pulling the seat out.
Rivian R1T R1S Zonehawk R1T Build & Accessories Install Walkthrough 1690747611041
Rivian R1T R1S Zonehawk R1T Build & Accessories Install Walkthrough 1690747666968

In running the power, WeBoost Interior Antenna, and Midland antenna cabling, I removed the door sill foot plates with the words "Rivian" on them in both the front and back seats. They were held in with clips, and this was the only paneling I had to fully remove. You can loosen the clips for the other side paneling just to make it a little easier to fish cabling but it was fairly easy with a plastic pry tool to get the wires fished under. I mounted the WeBoost Interior Antenna on some velcro and ran it under the front passenger seat. The only cables that weren't run through this passenger side were the Midland Mic which was a little shorter and I didn't feel like splicing it so I ran it under the back floor mat and under the paneling in the center console, eventually running it up under the center screen. As well as the WeBoost Exterior Antenna which I ran through a small hole behind the back seat that has direct access to the exterior of the bed above the tonneau cover.
Rivian R1T R1S Zonehawk R1T Build & Accessories Install Walkthrough 1690747495556
Rivian R1T R1S Zonehawk R1T Build & Accessories Install Walkthrough 1690747550680
Rivian R1T R1S Zonehawk R1T Build & Accessories Install Walkthrough 1690748026575
Rivian R1T R1S Zonehawk R1T Build & Accessories Install Walkthrough 1690748062166

The WeBoost Exterior Antenna I decided to mount onto a cover piece in the corner of the bed against the cab. The main reason was its proximity to the hole for access to the cab and it was a small piece that could be more easily replaced if I wanted to return the vehicle to stock. I went with a T Track mostly because with a Ram Mount I can fold it down when not in use and it can swivel at any angle. I looked at some other fold down mounts but because they folded straight down to side they'd catch the spoiler. To be fair, I'm not confident how well this solution with hold up in the long run but so far so good. I did also use a little bit of velcro to have a place to rest antenna when in the down position and not have it vibrating against the bed or back window.
Rivian R1T R1S Zonehawk R1T Build & Accessories Install Walkthrough 1690748168365
Rivian R1T R1S Zonehawk R1T Build & Accessories Install Walkthrough 1690748193230
Rivian R1T R1S Zonehawk R1T Build & Accessories Install Walkthrough 1690748205921
Rivian R1T R1S Zonehawk R1T Build & Accessories Install Walkthrough 1690748176999
Rivian R1T R1S Zonehawk R1T Build & Accessories Install Walkthrough 1690748222104
Rivian R1T R1S Zonehawk R1T Build & Accessories Install Walkthrough 1690748228995
Rivian R1T R1S Zonehawk R1T Build & Accessories Install Walkthrough 1690748239457

The baja designs ditch lights came with their own wiring harness, I spliced a smaller ring on the positive cable so it'd fit the Garmin PowerSwitch and used zip ties to help tidy up and wire manage the cabling. The ground for the PowerSwitch and the ditch lights runs to the second 6V battery in the system. The two other grounds (WeBoost & Midland GMRS) are run to screws that are grounded through the body of the truck.
Rivian R1T R1S Zonehawk R1T Build & Accessories Install Walkthrough 1690749036593
Rivian R1T R1S Zonehawk R1T Build & Accessories Install Walkthrough 1690749042606
Rivian R1T R1S Zonehawk R1T Build & Accessories Install Walkthrough 1690748366822
Rivian R1T R1S Zonehawk R1T Build & Accessories Install Walkthrough 1690748372126
Rivian R1T R1S Zonehawk R1T Build & Accessories Install Walkthrough 1690749020947
Rivian R1T R1S Zonehawk R1T Build & Accessories Install Walkthrough 1690749130358

The Garmin PowerSwitch I mounted with extreme indoor/outdoor 3M Velcro Adhesive and as additional security I was also able to use one of the bolts existing in that area to connect to a mounting hole on the PowerSwitch and re-secure that nut. When connecting the accessories, be mindful the screws can drop down into the void never to be found again. Luckily I avoided that and found it helpful to have a small mirror below on an extending rod as well as a towel below to try and catch any lost screws or nuts. I ran power from the PowerSwitch to the second 6V and mounted it to the 150amp fuse block on the battery. The Garmin PowerSwitch has a built in fuse in the power cable as well.
Rivian R1T R1S Zonehawk R1T Build & Accessories Install Walkthrough 1690748435637
Rivian R1T R1S Zonehawk R1T Build & Accessories Install Walkthrough 1690748884740
Rivian R1T R1S Zonehawk R1T Build & Accessories Install Walkthrough 1690748862810

The PowerSwitch runs on Bluetooth and gives a lot of customization for strobing, constant on, dimming, etc... It takes only a couple seconds to connect when first opening up the app. As stated above I do hope carplay/android auto, gets rolled out one day, simply so I can control the accessories right from the center screen. Additionally, the Garmin has 3 more slots available that I've mounted in an easily accessible way in the event I add more items in the future.
Rivian R1T R1S Zonehawk R1T Build & Accessories Install Walkthrough 1690749196529
Rivian R1T R1S Zonehawk R1T Build & Accessories Install Walkthrough 1690749202768
Rivian R1T R1S Zonehawk R1T Build & Accessories Install Walkthrough 1690751652118
Rivian R1T R1S Zonehawk R1T Build & Accessories Install Walkthrough 1690751691762
Rivian R1T R1S Zonehawk R1T Build & Accessories Install Walkthrough 1690749210530

That's it for now, hopefully the pictures help others when deciding what things they may want to do to add to their adventures. Let me know if you have any questions!

Rivian R1T R1S Zonehawk R1T Build & Accessories Install Walkthrough 1690746891043

Rivian R1T R1S Zonehawk R1T Build & Accessories Install Walkthrough 1690747531149
Sponsored

Last edited:

WattTruckMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Awesome! Very thorough and detailed, I'm sure this will help lots of people.

I have noticed quite a bit of vibration in the s00nish brackets, possibly because I'm using Morimoto 4 Bangers which are larger in size/weight than the Baja S2s. I'm in talks with another bracket maker to see about a different style of mounting solution to mitigate any movement.

You'd probably have to drill another hole but if you contact WeBoost, they will send you an antenna "Stabilizer Arm" to store it out of the way. You just need to show proof of purchase. Works great although I ended up not going that direction.

Rivian R1T R1S Zonehawk R1T Build & Accessories Install Walkthrough weboost-overland-drive-reach-booster-install-diagram__83470

Ducky

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
Very nicely done and highly useful. I love to tinker with this kind of stuff and this is great help. Thanks! :clap:

EVentually

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S5, Rivian R1T
This is an awesome write-up! What made you choose the MXT275 over the 400? I'm leaning toward the latter since it comes with a 12v cord I can plug in under my dash. I was going to velcro the unit somewhere, but under the rear seats is way cleaner.

Sponsored

OP
OP
zonehawk

zonehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This is an awesome write-up! What made you choose the MXT275 over the 400? I'm leaning toward the latter since it comes with a 12v cord I can plug in under my dash. I was going to velcro the unit somewhere, but under the rear seats is way cleaner.

Thanks all! @EVentually, main reason is the 275 has all the controls on the mic itself, the 400 you'd have to have the unit in reach to control it. The 400 is more powerful. Additionally, I've had the 275 for a few years now and mine did have a 12v plug as well.

If I was looking today and needed the extra power, I'd consider the 575.

mike813

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S GW/OC/20 | 2020 Tesla Model Y
Clubs

Thanks all! @EVentually, main reason is the 275 has all the controls on the mic itself, the 400 you'd have to have the unit in reach to control it. The 400 is more powerful. Additionally, I've had the 275 for a few years now and mine did have a 12v plug as well.

If I was looking today and needed the extra power, I'd consider the 575.
Great post Zone thanks for sharing. I installed my midland 275 in my R1S this weekend. I tapped the 12V in the rear for power, ran an antenna cable behind the trim and out the top of the liftgate, ran Cat6 for the mic up to the front and under the dash, and gently tucked the head unit in the hole behind the power panel in the cargo area. I went with the 275 rather than the 575 because of the power consumption - I thought it would be easier to tap this 12V power source rather than go through the firewall to the battery which I believe would be needed for the 575. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a better power source somewhere, but I couldn't find anything during some brief searching, so I tapped the back of the 12V - probably not the best for the integrity of that receptacle, but it works. I'll be putting together a post with photos s00n.

Rivian R1T R1S Zonehawk R1T Build & Accessories Install Walkthrough IMG_5804

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GW/OC R1T | Tesla MY | Jeep Wrangler TJ
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

@zonehawk , did your hand mic come with a piece to connect it to the ram hardware?
I have been on the fence with a new GMRS, but one of the things that is unclear is if I need an adapter to get my existing ram mounts to work
Anecdotally, I have seen midland and ram advertise they made official partnership products but they go to dead links, so maybe the partnership ended...

OP
OP
zonehawk

zonehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@zonehawk , did your hand mic come with a piece to connect it to the ram hardware?
I have been on the fence with a new GMRS, but one of the things that is unclear is if I need an adapter to get my existing ram mounts to work
Anecdotally, I have seen midland and ram advertise they made official partnership products but they go to dead links, so maybe the partnership ended...
It did not come with a ram mount for the mic but you can find a few different options if you google “Ram mount CB mic holder”.

Here’s the first one I see https://www.bulletpointmountingsolutions.com/products/cb-radio-holder-with-20mm-ball

k3g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Robotics
Excellent work! Glad we're collecting more ways to tap into the Truck.
Sponsored