Demo Drive Question

RIV206

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜23 R1S, '23 Model Y
Clubs

Hi,
Just got invited to do a demo drive in Portland (I'm in the Seattle area). Questions for you who have done them/taken delivery:

I've already driven an R1S and don't need to do a demo drive (especially driving 3 hours each way to do it) but I've heard that doing one is a step towards shop access/guide and a "checkmark" towards your ordering process. Is that just a rumor?

Was your demo drive for the vehicle you reserved? As you can see from what I've attached, it is confirming an R1T but I have an R1S order.

Thanks in advance!

Rivian R1T R1S Demo Drive Question Screenshot 2023-05-01 at 8.12.03 PM
Sponsored

Rivdog

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Definitely wasnā€™t the case for me. I never did the first mile drive for my R1T and it had no effect that Iā€™m aware of on my delivery. Seemed to follow the normal timeframe of others in my area with similar order times, etc. (Portland, OR).

I ended up doing one for the R1S a couple months ago partially as an excuse to ask about some stuff regarding my R1T. It was fun, sure, but itā€™s just like any other test drive. It hasnā€™t seemed to move me up in the queue at all for an R1S.

At the first mile in Portland for the R1S, they just met me in a parking lot area and only had an R1S. It was an employee who had all my info already loaded and was waiting. I donā€™t think I would have been able to drive any R1 other than the exact vehicle I had been assigned to, at least in Portland.

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

Did a test drive a couple of months ago (Bay Area).
We have a S on order they scheduled a drive in the T. We asked for the S (had already done a first Mike in the T). They reschedule for a S.
Drive was short. About 30 minutes. It didnā€™t open the doors to the shop.
Itā€™s just a test drive, I wouldnā€™t drive 3 hours one way for it.
I think a lot of people here claim to have found the recipe for the shop when it might just be a coincidence and the echo chamber effect of the forum.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
The first time I even seen a Rivian that wasn't going the opposite way on the freeway or in a picture was when mine pulled up into my driveway.

Sponsored

timmmmeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S, 23 MY
Hi,
Just got invited to do a demo drive in Portland (I'm in the Seattle area). Questions for you who have done them/taken delivery:

I've already driven an R1S and don't need to do a demo drive (especially driving 3 hours each way to do it) but I've heard that doing one is a step towards shop access/guide and a "checkmark" towards your ordering process. Is that just a rumor?

Was your demo drive for the vehicle you reserved? As you can see from what I've attached, it is confirming an R1T but I have an R1S order.

Thanks in advance!

Screenshot 2023-05-01 at 8.12.03 PM.png
I asked my guide for shop access a couple of times before I was granted access. The very first time I asked was very early on when only Launch Edition orders got access. I got a First Mile Drive for the R1S AFTER I selected/purchased a vehicle from the shop. I did do a demo for the truck way before they actually started delivering trucks. Back when they didn't even have any SUVs to show.

OP
OP
RIV206

RIV206

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜23 R1S, '23 Model Y
Clubs

Thanks everyone for the replies . I really didn't want to make that drive just to check a box. Fingers crossed mine is in my driveway soon!

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Do you have a guide yet?

If not, signing up for a test drive can get you a guide earlier than you would otherwise. And a guide can get you access to the shop earlier than you would otherwise.

OP
OP
RIV206

RIV206

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜23 R1S, '23 Model Y
Clubs

Do you have a guide yet?

If not, signing up for a test drive can get you a guide earlier than you would otherwise. And a guide can get you access to the shop earlier than you would otherwise.
I do not have a guide yet. Is that legit that doing a drive would get me one earlier?

Last edited:

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
I do not have a guide yet. Is that legit that it would do that?
It could be a coincidence, but when I left the house to go on my test drive I didn't have a guide, and when I got back home I had an email from my guide asking how I enjoyed the drive.

Sponsored

NormalLife

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A6, Audi e-tron
Occupation
Med Device
Similar thing happened to me with a first mile invite. It was for the Dallas service center even though I live a few miles from the Austin service center. Not wanting to drive the 3 hours to Dallas, I contacted CS. They explained that was due to a capacity issue, but then immediately gave me an appointment for the Austin SC. Either way, seemingly no effect on delivery or shop accessā€¦ granted that was back in December before the S shop was really up and running, at least for most. I just fear delivery time will come and theyā€™ll say in need to pick it up in Dallas!

Gee Bee

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Vw tdi golf -chevy SSR-997 Turbo S
Occupation
Design
I have not driven a rt1 before, itā€™s on its way to Portlandā€¦..

I also didnā€™t test drive my Turbo s , even tho itā€™s my third Turbo P car.

My reason for Rivian is the quality from the Domestics and The Toyota line is just too big with poor fuel economy or a Diesel.

stay tuned, I look forward to the drive down Hwy 1 back to Capo Beach.

Cheers to all

GB
Sponsored