Sponsored

SoCalGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Preorder
I picked one from the shop about a month ago that has a VIN in the 1500s. Guide wasn't very helpful in determining why it was still available. Said that it could be for a number of reasons, but that all cars are new and backed by warranty - pretty vague response.

Curious to see if you get any more specifics.
Did you end up taking delivery?
Sponsored

tgo10000

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e, r1t, r1s
Any new inventory today? Anything with the 22 brights?
Don’t think anything new, it’s hard to tell GW and FG turn over off a lot but pretty sure they have been there, everything right now is 20” ATs

invernite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Honday Odyssey
Occupation
Clicking refresh in the R1 Shop
Clubs

Did you end up taking delivery?
Not yet :(

When I spoke with my guide after selecting the vehicle in the shop I was told that it would be delivered for pickup at the Chicago SC in a week or two. I offered to just pick it up in Normal if that's easier/quicker since it's only a couple of hours away, but was told that it's too late for that since they've already started the shipping process. After four weeks had gone by, I asked for an update on what's taking so long and was told that the cause for delay is unknown. My guide did reference the issue with the backup lamps, but wasn't sure if that caused the delayed shipment (though did confirm that the extension was added to the lamp and that I'd need a service visit for the permanent solution once it's available). I then said that if the cause of the delay and when the car might ship out are both unknown, please switch me over to pickup in Normal since I'd rather come get it than have it waiting there for an unknown period of time for shipment. So, I was switched over the factory pickup and my guide also confirmed that the vehicle had been pulled out that day for delivery prep.

That was almost a week ago and I haven't heard anything since. I'm starting to wonder if there's something wrong with the car and it's taking them an unknown amount of time to fully resolve. No evidence to support this concern - idle mind is the devil's workshop! I just don't understand why it takes 5+ weeks to get the car from Normal to the closest SC, especially when they expected 1-2 weeks to start.

<end rant>

Edit: Don't mean to complain, but rather share my journey. I certainly recognize that mine are first world problems!

SoCalGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Preorder
Not yet :(

When I spoke with my guide after selecting the vehicle in the shop I was told that it would be delivered for pickup at the Chicago SC in a week or two. I offered to just pick it up in Normal if that's easier/quicker since it's only a couple of hours away, but was told that it's too late for that since they've already started the shipping process. After four weeks had gone by, I asked for an update on what's taking so long and was told that the cause for delay is unknown. My guide did reference the issue with the backup lamps, but wasn't sure if that caused the delayed shipment (though did confirm that the extension was added to the lamp and that I'd need a service visit for the permanent solution once it's available). I then said that if the cause of the delay and when the car might ship out are both unknown, please switch me over to pickup in Normal since I'd rather come get it than have it waiting there for an unknown period of time for shipment. So, I was switched over the factory pickup and my guide also confirmed that the vehicle had been pulled out that day for delivery prep.

That was almost a week ago and I haven't heard anything since. I'm starting to wonder if there's something wrong with the car and it's taking them an unknown amount of time to fully resolve. No evidence to support this concern - idle mind is the devil's workshop! I just don't understand why it takes 5+ weeks to get the car from Normal to the closest SC, especially when they expected 1-2 weeks to start.

<end rant>

Edit: Don't mean to complain, but rather share my journey. I certainly recognize that mine are first world problems!
I hear you - on the Reddit there was a recent posting very similar to your story. Sounds like Rivian logistics could use an upgrade (and ditto for customer support!)!

What color combo did you end up with btw?

Sponsored

invernite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Honday Odyssey
Occupation
Clubs

I hear you - on the Reddit there was a recent posting very similar to your story. Sounds like Rivian logistics could use an upgrade (and ditto for customer support!)!

What color combo did you end up with btw?
LG/BM with 22" brights. I'm thinking I'll get the wheels powder coated black at some point.

Our first choice was Canyon Red/BM with the 22" wheels so the compromise was take LG to get it sooner (delivery window was Q4 of this year). It's a 2022 so a bit of a hit on the valuation side, but I'm getting the wheel upgrade and saving on the paint cost so that's a wash vs. a red 2023.

Only thought now is that refreshed windows will be out in the next 10 days. If our Q4 were to get moved up materially (which might not be absurd since it looks like they're picking up the production pace), perhaps we'd consider just waiting for a red one... 🤨

And as I type this I just heard from Rivian about scheduling a pickup in Normal mid next week. Getting closer...

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
One more pro for the early VINs: a 12V under the center console
My neighbor who works in testing at Rivian says that is even a problem for them. He had to buy an OBD2 port power adapter so he could connect the telematics after those were removed.🤦

invernite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Honday Odyssey
Occupation
Clubs

Sponsored

Honey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford edge 2013
Occupation
Firefighter
2022 build has the following likely benefits (not guaranteed, but almost certain on a 1XXX VIN):
  • 12V in frunk (mentioned above by @sub)
  • Wood trim on front seatbacks (mentioned above by @sub)
  • Meridian Elevation Sound System

2023 build has the following likely benefits:
  • Slightly higher resale / trade-in value down the road (1 model year newer)
  • Likely some improvements in assembly (we've seen 8XXX VINs reported recently)

If the truck you got meets your specs, I wouldn't really sweat the 2022/2023 that hard unless you think you're going to trade out of it in the next few years (newer model year will have less and less impact the longer you keep it). If you had an Adventure reservation to begin with, the LE tire/wheel savings ($1,800) will probably offset most of the value difference between 2022/2023 (if you're in that camp, there's no guarantee you'll snag a new Shop LE that matches your config).

While I'm sure there have been numerous production improvements / fixes in the ~7,000 trucks produced since then, as long as you do a solid delivery inspection & live close to a service center, Rivian should take care of any issues that may arise. I would personally ask your guide if they can dig a little bit into why a 1XXX VIN is just now hitting the shop though just to make sure there weren't major issues they had to fix.

You also mentioned 22s but the picture you posted has 20" ATs (low gloss) on it. Make sure you got the tires you wanted.
Mine is a 2023 build vin is 42xx. It had the 12v underneath the dashboard (not in frunk) and meridian sound

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Only 1 without 20" wheels!
and only 2 without the RUS. Gonna be really hard to stay under $80k with the batches they're putting in the R1S Shop lately. Even one of the RUS-less builds has the dark 20", which puts it over also.

KingTodd

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru
Mine is a 2023 build vin is 42xx. It had the 12v underneath the dashboard (not in frunk) and meridian sound
That is a lottery win in my book. Particularily the 12v under the dash.
With that removed, what options are there for plugging in devices that need that type of port?

tgo10000

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e, r1t, r1s
Another added

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Shop access live with lots of inventory! 8A8482D2-819B-4E7A-BB06-063C415C25F6
Sponsored