Sponsored

elfordon

First Name
Elfordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Large Charge Marge (Max Pack R1T)
Occupation
retired
Clubs

Simultaneously, our test and development teams are out validating the final build in real-world conditions. They have recently completed endurance runs in Alaska for cold weather, the Nevada and California desert for hot weather, and Moab, Utah, for off-road range validation.

Once approved, Max pack will be heading to customers later this year.
Later this year?? Meaning Dec 31?? Ugh.

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T
Did anyone notice they appear to not be using a Rivian in their testing/shots? That mirror, door handle, and fender flare appear to be from a Ram.

Rivian R1T R1S Max Pack Progresses as Battery Lab Expands — Official Rivian Stories C87FC124-674C-4404-895A-8585F45F1B3B

Sponsored

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
Did anyone notice they appear to not be using a Rivian in their testing/shots? That mirror, door handle, and fender flare appear to be from a Ram.

C87FC124-674C-4404-895A-8585F45F1B3B.jpeg
Not really any type of conspiracy... If they hired a professional camera crew, they often drive whatever they want. Also, test vehicles are often towed in to places like Death Valley, to complete high temperature testing. Not many places to charge there, and diesel or gas engines have proven reliable towing in these conditions.

Last summer we traveled through death valley with 125 degree temps. VW and Audi were testing, with all vehicles being towed in by diesel trucks.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Feels like they just pulled any photos from testing and chunked them into the article without paying attention. I think they did initial powertrain validation using top-hats from other pickups.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I seem to recall early Rivian testers using F-150 bodies? Either way it could just be a support vehicle.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I seem to recall early Rivian testers using F-150 bodies? Either way it could just be a support vehicle.
Those were the ones we knew about.

jbssfelix

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3; Rivian R1S
Clubs

Not really any type of conspiracy... If they hired a professional camera crew, they often drive whatever they want. Also, test vehicles are often towed in to places like Death Valley, to complete high temperature testing. Not many places to charge there, and diesel or gas engines have proven reliable towing in these conditions.

Last summer we traveled through death valley with 125 degree temps. VW and Audi were testing, with all vehicles being towed in by diesel trucks.
At least here in CO, test vehicles are often flown out to DEN, then driven from the airport up to the mountains. So many zebra cars along 56th and I70 where I live (just west of the airport).

Sponsored

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
I didn't get past "up to 400 miles in the R1S"...

R1Ted

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'02 Honda Insight

Actually, you can see an R1 front end in the background pulling a trailer. In the 2020 hot weather towing video there was a Ram support truck, so this might just be an image from that test.

R1Ted

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'02 Honda Insight
Okay, my turn with the conspiracy theories... Did anyone notice that the top cover of the battery seems to have a couple inch bump up? Maybe taller cells? Extra cooling?
Rivian R1T R1S Max Pack Progresses as Battery Lab Expands — Official Rivian Stories Battery2.PNG

Looking at some of the Munro videos, the sheet looks mostly flat.
Rivian R1T R1S Max Pack Progresses as Battery Lab Expands — Official Rivian Stories Battery1.PNG

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T
Actually, you can see an R1 front end in the background pulling a trailer. In the 2020 hot weather towing video there was a Ram support truck, so this might just be an image from that test.
I’m going to go with “Rivian is coming to get them”. Ha ha

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Okay, my turn with the conspiracy theories... Did anyone notice that the top cover of the battery seems to have a couple inch bump up? Maybe taller cells? Extra cooling?
Battery2.PNG

Looking at some of the Munro videos, the sheet looks mostly flat.
Battery1.PNG
One thing doesn't even require comparisons of parts in different contexts (I really wish Munro's staff shown a full pan around of the entire battery pack before they started tearing it down, so we could see all sides, top and bottom, as they sit in a vehicle):

The connectors are oriented very differently between the in-vehicle large pack and that max pack being tested.

Rivian R1T R1S Max Pack Progresses as Battery Lab Expands — Official Rivian Stories 1681922967499
Sponsored