Sponsored

R1T and Mountain Biking

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
This is our plan. I'll try to remember to take a picture of this exact setup with my bike and post here. We have the 1up racks now and according to our guide should have the truck by end of the month.
I’d drive down to see that. ?
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I think a 1upUSA rack will work over the bed for longer bikes, since the bike hold downs are independent of the rack’s attachment to crossbars.

The constraint is most bike racks have the front mounting point integrated with whatever the front wheel holding mechanism is, wether it’s a clamping arm or fork mount. The rear attachment point to crossbars can move to accommodate crossbar spread. This is not a problem on a roof of course, because there’s nothing to get in the way.
This is my plan as well. There is another brand that has a frame clamp design that also allows you to slide the rail back and forth quite a bit. I will have to look again what the brand it is - I got it at Costco a few years ago but they don't sell it now. I had the same issue with my Tacoma bed length.

rogunenode

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
This is our plan. I'll try to remember to take a picture of this exact setup with my bike and post here. We have the 1up racks now and according to our guide should have the truck by end of the month.
Would love to see/hear how that works out. I use a 1up rack on my model 3 performance and was hoping to convert to trays for crossbar use and fit longer bikes over the bed.

Northish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Santa Cruz 5010, Focus RS
Occupation
Mfg. Engineer
Would love to see/hear how that works out.
Sounds good; I'll take some photos for you all once our truck comes. I've got an XL mtb so should give a good idea.

Zool

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Soul EV
I'm planning on using a fork mount rack like the yakima highspeed or thule topride over the bed to over come the bed shortness problem. Am I the only one that doesn't mind taking a wheel off to rack up a bike?

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm planning on using a fork mount rack like the yakima highspeed or thule topride over the bed to over come the bed shortness problem. Am I the only one that doesn't mind taking a wheel off to rack up a bike?
For me it’s not the taking off the wheel, but finding a place for it.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Not to be too facetious... But... There's a pickup bed right there, bud.

1647985878302.png
That’s full of beer puppers though

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

JoulesVerne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LE, 2022 Ioniq 5 SEL
I am the head coach for a NICA team and will be hauling a lot of gear for races. I went with a 1Up hitch rack since I already had one and it will allow me to close/lock the tonneau to keep loose items secure. The swing arm is the 1Up RakAttach size large. The gear guard cable will fit past the tonneau gasket while it's fully closed. I might have to buy the 14' GG cable to reach 4 bikes but the stock cable will work with 2 bikes.

The only danger is opening the tailgate with the rack under it. Definitely will ding the tailgate.

Here are some pics of the fitment.
Rivian R1T R1S R1T and Mountain Biking PXL_20220408_144421299

Rivian R1T R1S R1T and Mountain Biking PXL_20220408_144514805

Rivian R1T R1S R1T and Mountain Biking PXL_20220408_144539025

Rivian R1T R1S R1T and Mountain Biking PXL_20220408_144601049

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Coming up with a hot water system will also be ideal. I've carried water with 12V pumps in the past for cleaning myself and the bike off, and taking advantage of the battery pack to heat water for doing the same, maybe even with enough water capacity to double as a minimalist outdoor shower, would be worth the effort.
I realize this is an older post but doesn't look like anyone chimed in on the water system.

I'd highly recommend a Yakima Road Shower. Although you are not going to use the truck to heat the water on a sunny day a road shower will easily get 30 degrees above ambient temps and you can use the air compressor to pressurize it. Thinking I will add one to my R1T or take the 10 gal one I have on my van.

The other alternative with a water source would be a small water heater. I have a Bosch 2.5 gal water heater in my camper van that plugs into a 110 outlet, heats water really fast but that would be a more complicated setup for a truck but possible.

chrismc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
They have shown pictures of a fridge for the frunk. Otherwise, our family is likely following your same plan for biking adventures.
Due to the unique shape of the gear tunnel, about the only ones that will fit are the “lunchbox” size ones that can’t hold more than a 6-pack of cans. The frunk has other constraints, and neither is a good option for a proper fridge.

Humbentado

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Toyota Tundra double cab
Occupation
Director of production
Is it going to be possible to use a traditional tailgate pad with the R1T? I ask because it has that different "flap"/"extender" on the interior side of the tailgate that would cover the seam where the pad straps would wrap about?

(If that makes sense?)
Came here for the same question. I’m not too concerned with storage for gear but when I shuttle and transport bikes, it’s almost exclusively with the tailgate pad on my tundra with 6.5’ bed. The smaller bed size on the R1T doesn’t worry me so much for other practical truck uses I’ve been accustomed to for over 18 years of owning various sized open bed pick ups. My long bed Dodge Ram 2500 and now my tundra fit motorcycles, camping gear, firewood, containers of all sorts, dump runs, surfboards, rafts, etc… with room to spare in some instances if I wasn’t maxing the payload. With this new Rivian (still waiting for my order to come up), so long as I can get the tailgate down to the 84” of useable bed length and the possibility of a tailgate extender (I have one on my tundra for the long bed option when needed) I’ll be happy. I have to see about the possibility of the tailgate pad securing onto the tailgate on the R1T still with that special gooseneck feature and no open gap to feed the straps through. My other option I was entertaining was placing the tailgate pad onto the bed extender should mounting that in the bed be a feasible option (was going to check other posts to see if any other updated replies).

My family and I ride lots of bikes. From both the kids’ bikes, my wife’s size small AM bike, my dirt jumper, size large enduro race bike, xc 29er and even cruiser bikes… they all go on the tailgate pad in some capacity depending on the adventure and who’s coming along. Not being able to go that route for tossing in the bikes and the gear (in the frunk or tunnel or even the bed if there’s room) is heartbreaking for me. Hoping I can mount a tailgate pad on the Rivian and have my largest bike (pivot firebird size large) fit with no issues. Anyone have photos or real world experience with bikes in the bed of an R1T??? Thanks in advance 🙂

Last edited:

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I'm all about e-vehicles, but e-bikes are electric motorcycles and are a plague of lazy people. Their riders don't seem to care even if they are banned in certain areas. Further, their riders don't seem to refrain from posting their rides on Strava. Mechanical dopers!
I can understand someone thinking of Class 2 e-bikes as a form of "electric motorcycles" because you can ride them without touching the pedals. That said, I've been on my Class 3, following others on their Class 2 bikes and noticed them pedaling the entire time. It may be a very low effort of pedaling, but they were at least going through the motions, which keeps others from bitching about their presence in a bike lane. I think of them more as electric mopeds. Class 1 and Class 3 only function when the rider is pedaling, and the motor runs as an assist, up to 20 mph on C1, and 28 mph on C3.

The basics are covered in this simple display from juicedbikes.com:

Rivian R1T R1S R1T and Mountain Biking EbikeClass-01_1_copy

The more complete explanation is here:

https://www.juicedbikes.com/pages/e-bike-classifications

To the point @skyote mentioned, everyone who tries mine absolutely falls in love with it. It's not so much being lazy, as it is the chance to get out and ride farther without burning themselves out. More miles for the same or less effort.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

The ebike chargers use standard 110V, so using the plugs on the Rivian would lead to normal charging times. Cool option for taking an ebike off the grid though!
That's my plan and part of the reason I'll need to mount it somewhere other than on the roof when going off road. The weight of that thing seems like it would take a beating, while delivering one to the racks and mounts when the slamming back-and-forth sitting at that height.

It'd be lIke the tail of a happy Lab wreaking havoc on all of the glasses on the coffee table after sneaking into a cocktail party. I realize "happy Lab" is redundant, but you get the picture....
🐕🥃🍸🍹
Sponsored