Reactions: Rad

Jason C

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Launch edition
Check your emails. New letter from RJ was just sent. Thank you!!
Rivian R1T R1S R1T & R1S Updated Pricing, Configuration, Specs. Dual Motor Now Available 134C93E8-8711-4475-9807-5DD1E24074E7

bael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, X5
Clubs

The best news in there? Girls apparel is down 4.3% YOY, so I'm getting a deal by having two daughters!
Completely off topic... Keep telling yourself that. That's what I try to do..... :) Volume of clothes purchases are up more than 4.3% YoY

Techtennisone

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota RAV4
Occupation
VP, Technology Enablement
Clubs

Lesson learned by RJ and RIVIAN but also (hopefully) lesson learned by many of us as well. There was some pretty harsh rhetoric used against RJ and RIVIAN over the last couple of days here….lots of short fuses, threats, many of us turning on each other too, insults, etc. I was very disappointed and a bit angry too at how they handled the price increase, but as we all see and do ourselves in life, a mistake was made, and RJ owned up to it and has made it right. We should all acknowledge our own times in life when we said or did something wrong or made a mistake. In the end, we should all be happy that this mistake was made right, including for all of those that cancelled their reservations. Lesson learned for the future is to take a few deep breaths, be patient and trust that sometimes the person (or company) that wronged you isn’t evil or didn’t premeditate hurting us and to give them a bit of time to make it right. Waiting a few days wouldn’t have hurt any of us. Our reservations weren’t going anywhere and nothing was getting delivered at a higher price yet anyway. The way all this played out is actually a good reflection of so much about how we treat each other in today’s society. I think we can all do better….RJ, RIVIAN, us, everyone.

Sponsored

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
Look at the S&P. I don't think of the S&P as "right" or "wrong" … it's a fact.
Given inflation, unemployment, a pandemic that has killed 950,000 Americans (more than any other country, and the President says it's "behind us") … Russia killing hundreds of people instead of diplomacy over fears of military encroachment by the USA and NATO … the markets had a "free fall" that lasted a blink of any eye, and now setting new highs. The President assures a worried nation that it's just military industrial complex profits being served, no American will go into battle, and the Fed assures a worried banking community rates will tickled 25 basis points, not 50, so there's no risk of depositors getting paid any time soon.
There is an affluent population of consumers in the USA detached from the worries of the world.
A loaded Rivian R1S Max is about the same price or a bit cheaper than the boring, old Model X minivan that "everyone" has and is indistinguishable from a 2016 Model X … the Rivian is a boutique status symbol lifestyle consumer discretionary purchase that will look damn good in the driveway and be unique parked outside the office for a full year of "first kid on the block" afterglow.
Ironically, the buyers who were sincere and aspired to an electric weekend getaway machine that would have dogs on the back seat and junk in the tunnel are the ones "shaken loose" from the pre-order queue … that's the avoidable damage that I wish Rivian had avoided by simply managing their sales and marketing.

I think there's zero price elasticity: for this 15-20% increase there is a 0% reduction in demand. I expect Rivian will have further price increases to keep pace with Tesla if they continue to increment prices several times per year while demand continues to outstrip production – and Tesla is building a helluva lot of cars, but an order today (March) with Tesla has an ETA of August … 6 months' backlog is damn strong demand for four models of car that have gone up 20% in a year and haven't changed (much) in 2 years … every other car marker is asking for some of that …
I didn't read all of this because it's nonsense, but today's email CLEARLY shows there is significant elasticity for this car just like any other.

simpsonhomer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE, Model S Plaid
I think you have a twisted view of loyalty when what they did it was a clear-cut bait and switch for many people expecting deliveries within weeks. Remember, this is not an established brand, they don’t have years of production or thousands of customers to build up that word of mouth or goodwill that is crucial for continued growth.

It’s not greed or selfishness to believe in the people and company that made commitments to you in person that they could achieve this outcome only to the break that promise at the last second.

Like I have mentioned elsewhere, I never believed that the price point they were selling these trucks and SUVs at was financially feasible especially related to Laura Schwab‘s comments, but the way that they attracted preorder customers to their company by artificially keeping their prices low just to raise them at the last second speaks of a irresponsible, and that worse malicious intent to prop up shareholder value for the IPO above customers. If they would have started off their prices at this price point, or slightly below we wouldn’t even be having this conversation. It’s a lack of trust between consumer and business. Believe it or not people do build relationships in business, it is not purely transactional.

They don’t need me, and they don’t need others on here, and I don’t agree with people throwing their stuff away or burning letters, but from what I’m seeing of the thousands of people canceling their orders that will have a material impact on their company and performance going forward.

I expect a brand that is trying to build their business to honor their commitments to providing a product to people who have been waiting for 3 to 4 years at the price point they put last year NOT 2018, and who have repeatedly told media outlets that they can make this product at this price point. You’re delusional if you think that what they did hear wasn’t malicious in nature and will impact their long-term survival if they were misleading investors as well as customers. I don’t think you grasp the seriousness of the situation.

I will move on, and take my business elsewhere, but it’s sad to see a company whose mission is to make the world a better place turn out to be another corporate sham.

Calling people names, and questioning their emotional maturity shows a lack of intelligence especially since you are participating on a fan site dedicated to Rivian. If you don’t care about loyalty, trust or value 545 and then I don’t know how you can be secure with your purchase.

Edit: RJ does care! I guess loyalty does mean something
Nope. You're wrong again. This wasn't bait-and-switch. Argue with facts and logic, not your out-of-control emotions. Read written agreements before signing off on your money (and getting psychologically glued to a brand).

You're not "loyal" to the Rivian corporation, and stop pretending you know RJ because you might have said a few words to him at an event. That's just plain sick.

Accusing someone of calling names when you called me and others "trolls" because they point out your childish temper tantrums? Funny. Take a look in the mirror for once.

Point out exactly what commitment they made to you about the pricing when you originally pre-ordered. Show me where it says that price was locked in. Otherwise, quit saying they owed you a locked price because it just brings out your foolish entitlement.

I know you want me to sugar-coat this for you but you really need to get a grip on life.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
A long overdue and poorly communicated price increase is not a sham or a bait and switch or any of the emotionally charged angry comments I've been reading here …
Car dealers "bait and switch" with ads they still run every day because … people are idiots … they'll read "$15,000 below invoice!*" and see the asterisk and see the fine print "two at this price" and go in to the dealership looking for a red Mustang and somehow come home with a 10% interest rate on a 7 year finance for a beige minivan … : ) … that's bait and switch.
It’s unfortunate we can’t all be as awesome as you. ?‍♂

Rivian R1T R1S R1T & R1S Updated Pricing, Configuration, Specs. Dual Motor Now Available 1646318792663

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management

Sponsored

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
Nope. You're wrong again. This wasn't bait-and-switch. Argue with facts and logic, not your out-of-control emotions. Read written agreements before signing off on your money (and getting psychologically glued to a brand).

You're not "loyal" to the Rivian corporation, and stop pretending you know RJ because you might have said a few words to him at an event. That's just plain sick.

Accusing someone of calling names when you called me and others "trolls" because they point out your childish temper tantrums? Funny. Take a look in the mirror for once.

Point out exactly what commitment they made to you about the pricing when you originally pre-ordered. Show me where it says that price was locked in. Otherwise, quit saying they owed you a locked price because it just brings out your foolish entitlement.

I know you want me to sugar-coat this for you but you really need to get a grip on life.
I know RJ, we talk every day he’s my best friend. Haven’t you seen my mural? /s

You may not value loyalty but people do here, and apparently RJ does so I’m not going to let you bring me or anyone else down because you think it’s immature or stupid to stand by your word.

simpsonhomer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE, Model S Plaid
I know him because he’s my best friend. Haven‘t you seen my mural? /s

I know RJ, we talk every day he’s my best friend. Haven’t you seen my mural? /s

You may not value loyalty but people do here, and apparently RJ does so I’m not going to let you bring me or anyone else down because you think it’s immature or stupid to stand by your word.
Again, it's not loyalty. You have no idea what loyalty is about.

You're crying so badly and backpedaling because you got too emotionally wrapped up in a false sense of loyalty.

And you didn't even understand the wording on the agreement when you put down your deposit. That's another source of your temper tantrums on here. So convenient that you ignored that when I brought it up, right? You felt entitled to interpret it any way you wanted and so you accused the company of bait-and-switch (which you also don't know the meaning of).

Iwantatesla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla X Plaid, 2004 s2000, Huracan Evo, +
Rivian Team are you telling ME after holding MY money for 2 years and promising ME a vehicle for $79,000 and delaying delivery by another year and while Rivian sits on $85B, you want ME PAY AN ADDITIONAL $17,000+ $7,500 lost tax credit = $24,500 INCREASE!

That'd my reward for being loyal to Rivian for 2 years.
thats… not how the stock market works.
I wonder how many YouTubers are having to reedit their videos on latest Rivian news?
Rivian Stories is now telling stories again.

AlanP

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Wife Solterra
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Damage done. Will it be undone by this? I have already reserved multiple other vehicles (yesterday). It's first pig to the trough for me now!
Sponsored