First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S5 Cabriolet, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Executive
Awesome. Apparently this is a thing now. Get on with yourself, Edmunds. Congrats to the Rivian team again!

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Well the auto-review industry is sure throwing Rivian tons of "cover" for the upcoming Qtrly report in terms of the inevitably low production numbers. I don't mean that as a dig either. Just saying the headlines will be all about the industry accolades Rivian has garnished instead of the "boring stuff" like how many vehicles were made and what the 2022 deliveries forecast changes might imply.

Sponsored

ChrissyOne

First Name
Chrissy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX350, R1T Pre-order
Occupation
Creative Production Manager at Wizards of the Coast

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
It was obvious Edmund's loved it... Who wouldn't?

Let's go for a three-peat and have the R1T lock up North American Truck of the Year.

And just in case anyone is still wondering about the R1T

Rivian R1T R1S R1T is Edmunds Top Rated Editors' Choice giphy-1

KiloV

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S5 Cabriolet, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Executive
Well the auto-review industry is sure throwing Rivian tons of "cover" for the upcoming Qtrly report in terms of the inevitably low production numbers. I don't mean that as a dig either. Just saying the headlines will be all about the industry accolades Rivian has garnished instead of the "boring stuff" like how many vehicles were made and what the 2022 deliveries forecast changes might imply.
Agreed that Rivian is getting a lot of top cover from an almost universally enthusiastic press; but I'm not sure that will do anything to ameliorate fallout from failing to hit projected numbers. The general formula for response to a quarterly call is:
1. You hit your projected numbers, great; stock might go up or stay the same.
2. You miss your numbers, you're going to take a hit.
Doesn't really matter what MotorTrend thinks. And it doesn't really matter if your numbers are great either, in many cases. If you outperform your projections, things will probably be okay. If you fall short, things will probably end badly.

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
If preorders jumped from 50k to 75k (or higher) I feel that'll have a positive effect.

Right now it's like a night club with a long line. Passerby's walk past and see the line and ask "well why are all these people waiting?". These kinds of positive PR and accolades just add to that effect.

Mostly everyone is still waiting... What information are people looking for with this Q4 report (I say this mostly in jest)?

Shooting from the hip with prognostications...
1. Vehicle deliveries are up
2. However vehicle deliveries are off projected (supply chain issues)
3. Preorders are up (how up IDK?)
4. Rivian is spending more money then they're making (at what ratio IDK, and again supply chain issues?)

Is there anything else, future plant sites maybe?

What else is eveyone looking for or expecting from the Q4? I mean this, what's on peoples short list of need to knows with the Q4?

I just remind myself that everything starts with "do you have a compelling and quality product?" And to that we now can say objectively and emphatically yes Rivian does! Otherwise I feel it's just way too early to tell.

Honestly what matters more to me more then this Q4 report is more info about the electric GMC/Silverado. Ford has pitched it's F-150 and I still think Rivian handedly has them beat in the compelling product category. Hummer/GM... Well we all saw how that went (MT ToTY ? Rivian).

Competition ultimately matters quite a bit, and again the most compelling vehicle typically wins out. Ford is already saying that their ground up new EV truck won't be out until 2024 (or later). I'm guessing it'll be the same for GM, and Rivian will be able move forward, solidifying themselves as having the best all around EV truck (maybe SUV) in the market until then.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
This accolade from Edmonds (the inaugural award) is just silly. They rated it a 7 in efficiency because it is far less efficient than a Chevy Bolt! C'mon Edmonds, appreciate that you like it but this does more to confuse the average consumer who still doesn't understand BEV's.

Sponsored

R1S Maineiac

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Volvo CX90 Recharge PHEV
Occupation
Medically retired 8/27/21
This accolade from Edmonds (the inaugural award) is just silly. They rated it a 7 in efficiency because it is far less efficient than a Chevy Bolt! C'mon Edmonds, appreciate that you like it but this does more to confuse the average consumer who still doesn't understand BEV's.

I've been explaining it like this:

Physics is physics. It's still a big, boxy truck(SUV-as I'm getting the R1S and explaining it to people)....and in the ICE world, they give you a bigger gas tank to compensate. That's why you need 135 or 180kWh.

Most people I talk to seem to get it after that.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

I would argue the average person (myself included) don't care about "efficiency" we care about "range" because we operate under this assumption that charging the car is basically "free" (even though I realize it's not). I literally have no idea how much it will cost to charge it, but I also know that most of that cost will be hidden in my electricity bill which I never see because it's on autopay and I just get a notice that it's been settled every month (and that bill already fluctuates based on the season - so it's highly unpredictable)

So, folks are going to compare 314 EPA range vs. whatever else they are looking at.

ChrissyOne

First Name
Chrissy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX350, R1T Pre-order
Occupation
Creative Production Manager at Wizards of the Coast
Trade ya: I got dis 'ere sweeeeeet massage chair for info on the TF tcg ;)
I'm telling you man I DON'T KNOW. :giggle: ?‍♀ I'm making Magic cards over here.