ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Ok. Maybe somebody out there can do a review of what really happens before we go all crazy.
or before I go crazy at least.
Just by reading some of the comments in this thread some people won't be happy unless it has a perfect review, despite never driving one themselves. And some won't be happy until someone does a tow test with a car trailer, but that won't be good enough so a boat trailer test will have to be done, but if that isn't good enough time to get a horse trailer, then an airstream, but their specific RV trailer has different aerodynamics, so that needs a another test, or a small teardrop, or a utility trailer...
Sponsored

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
That’s 101 miles of range at 47%. It does show he’s in Sport mode, as well, and it’s likely he was flogging it a bit, so I wouldn’t read too much into it.
With the way these all get driven for the demo events, I’m sure that plays into the range numbers we’re seeing. OTOH, this is also why I’m not compromising on the max pack. Range is still hugely important and more so in an EV that is designed to go off the beaten path.

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I test drove one, and it was far and away the best driving experience I have ever had...from acceleration, to braking, to handling off pavement, to on pavement manners...Rivian makes the very best car available at the moment. I would not worry about people upset w/ reviews...

Just by reading some of the comments in this thread some people won't be happy unless it has a perfect review, despite never driving one themselves. And some won't be happy until someone does a tow test with a car trailer, but that won't be good enough so a boat trailer test will have to be done, but if that isn't good enough time to get a horse trailer, then an airstream, but their specific RV trailer has different aerodynamics, so that needs a another test, or a small teardrop, or a utility trailer...

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
I dunno, even in sport mode losing a third of your range when in pretty optimal conditions (shot in San Diego where he couldn't have been going particularly fast and the weather/temp/etc. is perfect) is a bit concerning.

Definitely looking forward to real customer deliveries where people can actually speak to the practical ranges that they're getting.
It's the GOM - Guess-o-meter.

An EV with 100mi range on a full battery - when driven gently - will say "I have 75mi range left" when the battery is at 75%

An EV with 100mi range on a full battery - when driven with a lead foot - will say "I have 50mi range left" when the battery is at 75%

ICE cars can do this to - Report remaining range based on ideal MPG, or based on recent driving behavior.

Sponsored

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Good ideas. Keep them coming.

CharlieSA

First Name
Nicolas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Rogue, 2018 Acadia
Occupation
Number geek
Saw that. Even though he has more experience off-roading than most, I’m willing to bet many around here will discard him as not having “proper experience “ and not reviewing the right things, whatever that is.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
I test drove one, and it was far and away the best driving experience I have ever had...from acceleration, to braking, to handling off pavement, to on pavement manners...Rivian makes the very best car available at the moment. I would not worry about people upset w/ reviews...
Rivian isn’t making vehicles yet to the public anyways, so a little over the top with ‘’very best car available’’. No one even knows yet.

Rob Stark

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S
Door handles on the 3/Y seem weird at first, but once you're used to them they work great and are practical. I prefer them to the push-buttons of the X but still like the pop-outs on the S the best. I know Tesla was trying to be innovative while also making something functionally robust and aerodynamically neutral. They mostly succeeded... At times though I think the handles feel like a solution looking for a problem. If they were to pop out automatically like the Rivian handles or better yet like the Model S, that would be so much better.
Out of warranty Model 3/Y don't need $400 door handle repairs.

These handles were designed with the mass market in mind although Tesla has been raising prices quite frequently.

And you don't get to best EPA range in your segment by accident.

Regarding Doug's off road review complaints everything save better camera resolution can be handled by software updates.

This is one more piece of evidence the bones on the R1T/S are very very good.

Last edited:

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Out of warranty Model 3/Y don't need $400 door handle repairs.

These handles were designed with the mass market in mind although Tesla has been raising prices quite frequently.

And you don't get to best EPA range in your segment by accident.

Regarding Doug's off road review complaints everything save better camera resolution can be handled by software updates.

This is one more piece of evidence the bones on the R1T/S are very very good.
The independent wheel slip most likely can't be fixed too much with current Gen hardware.

weathermission

First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.weathermission.com
Vehicles
2019 Ford Edge
I have to give Doug DeMuro credit for the best overall review of the R1T, especially since so many others were given a chance in Colorado and really "phone'd it in". He covered the GUI screen functions better than anyone else so far..

But normally, I can't stand Doug's over the top hand gestures and shorty shorts. And for pete's sake man, comb your hair Doug!

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
No TPMS on each wheel and no hill descent control? What?
It does have TPMS on each wheel, but apparently you can't see the pressures. Could be a UI thing that's just an update away.

I drove down the 100% grade on "Mount Rivian", and max regen provided plenty of hill descent control, IMO. I didn't need to use the brakes, so that's enough for me. If you really want to go slower or are on more technical downhill terrain, you're probably going to be using brakes intermittently anyway.

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
Just watching this now. Heard him mention that there is no status indicator of charge on the outside of the vehicle. But I'm pretty sure I've seen previously that the front (and maybe rear too?) lightbar would serve as an indicator of the level of charge. Did he misspeak here, or did that get dropped?"

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Just watching this now. Heard him mention that there is no status indicator of charge on the outside of the vehicle. But I'm pretty sure I've seen previously that the front (and maybe rear too?) lightbar would serve as an indicator of the level of charge. Did he misspeak here, or did that get dropped?"
The front lightbar does still "pulse" green when charging.
Sponsored