I suppose the review is coming soon.
Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I suppose the review is coming soon.
He exclusively reviews units sold to customers, correct? That alone will make this the most anticipated review for me.

OP
OP
Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

He reviewed the Lucid Air prior to any customer deliveries.
Do you have a link on that? I couldnā€™t find it on YouTube.
Doug will quirks and features preview a vehicle without giving a review (aka a Doug Score). He did that yesterday with the Z06. Just wondering if that was the case.

OP
OP
Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

He exclusively reviews units sold to customers, correct? That alone will make this the most anticipated review for me.
Iā€™m not sure he ā€˜exclusivelyā€™ does that. But yes, normally he rents a car through Turo or has one lent to him by a dealer. Obviously the dealer route isnā€™t happening with Rivian. ?

Mcfly Rivian

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Realtor
He reviews pre production vehicles as well. I remember seeing his video on the upcoming hummer ev.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

He reviews pre production vehicles as well. I remember seeing his video on the upcoming hummer ev.
I did a quick scan of that video and again that was more of a quirks and features preview than a review. There was no Doug Score given. He doesnā€™t that until he gets to drive the vehicle.

You could disagree with this but, by my standard, it isnā€™t a review until he gives a Doug Score. ?

Mcfly Rivian

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Realtor
I did a quick scan of that video and again that was more of a quirks and features preview than a review. There was no Doug Score given. He doesnā€™t that until he gets to drive the vehicle.

You could disagree with this but, by my standard, it isnā€™t a review until he gives a Doug Score. ?
I wouldn't disagree with that. Should have said he previews pre preproduction vehicles.

That said I'm very much looking forward to his r1t review. I love seeing all the quirks and features he digs up.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Do you have a link on that? I couldnā€™t find it on YouTube.
Doug will quirks and features preview a vehicle without giving a review (aka a Doug Score). He did that yesterday with the Z06. Just wondering if that was the case.
My bad, I was actually thinking of his Model S Plaid test drive.

OP
OP
Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I wouldn't disagree with that. Should have said he previews pre preproduction vehicles.

That said I'm very much looking forward to his r1t review. I love seeing all the quirks and features he digs up.
Agreed..

My bad, I was actually thinking of his Model S Plaid test drive.
Gotchaā€¦. And that was a customerā€™s vehicle. I loved that review BTW. Doug really does a good job of being brutally honest when needed. He called out ALL of the flaws in that particular car and then raved on how much he loved driving it.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
I've been poking through the ole YouTubes and have been seeing a fair number of rando's that have been given the keys to a R1T for a couple hours that... clearly... have not been ardent followers of the R1T (or... trucks in general) and their reviews have all been strongly favourable as well.

I'm getting a better and better sense that all of those presser reviews were not fluff pieces.. that the truck really is that damn good.

Sponsored

rubber_ducky

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Honda Ridgeline
Iā€™ll be the wet blanket hereā€¦ I feel like every little Easter egg, quirk and feature has already been uncovered. I wish I had a nickel for every time I hear about the door-docking flashlight (yayā€¦. 7,777 battery) and Bluetooth speaker.

Iā€™m a Doug D fan, but I have my doubts that Iā€™ll learn anything new about the R1T. I hope that Iā€™m wrong.

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
I agree @rubber_ducky - my only hope is that the people who said things like ā€œthe motor trend review doesnā€™t countā€ or ā€œget it to a real reviewer like Doug Demuroā€ will finally hush.

OP
OP
Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I agree @rubber_ducky - my only hope is that the people who said things like ā€œthe motor trend review doesnā€™t countā€ or ā€œget it to a real reviewer like Doug Demuroā€ will finally hush.
Not a bad hope. IMO there is plenty of reason to disparage the Motor Trend ad. But, since then, weā€™ve had plenty of quality reviews.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
Winner winner chicken dinner.

That's my line of thought as well, this moves clearly from the "they probably paid them for this review" or "they were not allowed to talk about X" into the realm of "no punches pulled".

I mean, at the end of the day, we will all be our own reviewer, but if this trend holds, that the truck really is this remarkable, then it belays my concerns about biased reviews and fluff pieces.. and so far, it is holding which gives me more and more hope that I'll be very happy with my purchase.

I will note, I am super curious to see what Munro says when he rips his apart. It's one thing to be a great EV, it's another to be extremely well engineered.

Last edited:

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Pacifica PHEV, 23' 3 row Model Y
Iā€™ll be the wet blanket hereā€¦ I feel like every little Easter egg, quirk and feature has already been uncovered. I wish I had a nickel for every time I hear about the door-docking flashlight (yayā€¦. 7,777 battery) and Bluetooth speaker.

Iā€™m a Doug D fan, but I have my doubts that Iā€™ll learn anything new about the R1T. I hope that Iā€™m wrong.
Agreed. Might be amusing to watch, but I think Alex on Autos doing a thorough review on his normal driving loop and detailling real life measurements of seats etc would have been more useful.
Sponsored