Sponsored

Amazon's Alexa Collects More of Your Data Than Any Other Smart Assistant

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
I for one have no clue how much control over my data I have and how closely it is tied to important functionality of the truck. Has anyone read anything Rivian has published in this regard?

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
https://rivian.com/legal/privacy

Not a fan at all of their privacy policy.
It seems like other than taking your SIM card out (if you can find it) and killing WiFi connection, you have no way of stopping most of this data collection and sharing. Even then, during an over the air update you may lose control.

If you read the policy thinking, these are nice guys and nothing will go wrong, it all sounds reasonable. But if you watch the news, read history books where nice guys eventually turn greedy and security breaches happen regularly, then the policy looks wide open with not much choice or protection for owner. Tesla is doing much of this already as well. I wonder how much of this car Manufacturers can get away with in Europe.

Any information that can not be processed by my car and have to leave it (to the cloud) must require my consent. I should be able to set the settings so this type of information is always OK, this type requires consent per incident and this type is never OK. As is, Rivian is taking ownership of my data and although at this point it seems like it is mainly to improve products and to sell me more stuff, there is nothing to prevent sharing that data with an insurance company that could raise my rates or with a federal agency that may have a problem with me using my Rivian to rob a bank. What is the point of 3 second 0-60 if I can’t rob a bank? The only way you have privacy is if you own and keep your information None of which seems possible here. You can either have your Rivian or your privacy. My 18 year old truck will never betray my trust. Anywhere we go is between the two of us (as long as I leave my mobile phone behind).

privacy: “The quality or condition of being secluded from the presence or view of others”

Saying in a long winded way you have no privacy in a privacy policy is not the same as having one.

Last edited:

Sponsored

R_1_T

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2&4-wheeled
It seems like other than taking your SIM card out (if you can find it) and killing WiFi connection, you have no way of stopping most of this data collection and sharing. Even then, during an over the air update you may lose control.

If you read the policy thinking, these are nice guys and nothing will go wrong, it all sounds reasonable. But if you watch the news, read history books where nice guys eventually turn greedy and security breaches happen regularly, then the policy looks wide open with not much choice or protection for owner. Tesla is doing much of this already as well. I wonder how much of this car Manufacturers can get away with in Europe.

Any information that can not be processed by my car and have to leave it (to the cloud) must require my consent. I should be able to set the settings so this type of information is always OK, this type requires consent per incident and this type is never OK. As is, Rivian is taking ownership of my data and although at this point it seems like it is mainly to improve products and to sell me more stuff, there is nothing to prevent sharing that data with an insurance company that could raise my rates or with a federal agency that may have a problem with me using my Rivian to rob a bank. What is the point of 3 second 0-60 if I can’t rob a bank? The only way you have privacy is if you own and keep your information None of which seems possible here. You can either have your Rivian or your privacy. My 18 year old truck will never betray my trust. Anywhere we go is between the two of us (as long as I leave my mobile phone behind)..
The SIM inside the TCU will most likely be an eSIM, which means it's soldered to the board. Simply disconnect the cellular antenna and it most likely won't be able to get a signal. Keep Wi-fi turned off, and don't use the voice controls.

photontorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Old Reliable
I too am seriously frightened by Rivian's privacy policy, this above all else will be a deal breaker to finalizing purchase. The preferred solution is that we can opt out of data collection; less preferred but acceptable is if Rivian anonymizes data.

Rivian - I am so excited about your vehicle, and I am so excited about all the positive programs you are developing to support the environment. However, this good will and "protect the planet" attitude rings hollow if you do not extend that same courtesy to your customers.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
The SIM inside the TCU will most likely be an eSIM, which means it's soldered to the board. Simply disconnect the cellular antenna and it most likely won't be able to get a signal. Keep Wi-fi turned off, and don't use the voice controls.
and you’d probably need to never get service from Rivian, as the vehicle will store at least some amount of historical data and Rivian connecting their diagnostic tools to the vehicle will likely cause that data to be shared at that point.

After The Long Way Up Rivian mentioned they ”learned a lot” about how to handle intermittent connectivity and they made tweaks so the vehicle would store as much data as it could to be uploaded later.

Reactions: Max

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
and you’d probably need to never get service from Rivian, as the vehicle will store at least some amount of historical data and Rivian connecting their diagnostic tools to the vehicle will likely cause that data to be shared at that point.

After The Long Way Up Rivian mentioned they ”learned a lot” about how to handle intermittent connectivity and they made tweaks so the vehicle would store as much data as it could to be uploaded later.
Yup, if you want OTA updates (new features, improved UI/UX, increased range/charge times), you will eventually have to connect back to the mothership.

Assuming you do somehow disconnect all network connections to Rivian's systems, I'm just curious how much data can be stored before it is either overwritten, or, worse, causes corruption and causes problems (my Tesla had an MCU 1, so, I can confirm that data overflow/corruption is a shitshow in a modern vehicle).

Reactions: Max

R_1_T

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2&4-wheeled

The main point here is that Rivian could implement ALL of this without sharing our data with 3rd parties. Not having the ability to opt out of data sharing is a concern.

Coming to a vehicle near you S00N - Note: You must view this ad before starting your journey...
Don't think this type of thing hasn't been discussed.

Sponsored

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
I too am seriously frightened by Rivian's privacy policy, this above all else will be a deal breaker to finalizing purchase. The preferred solution is that we can opt out of data collection; less preferred but acceptable is if Rivian anonymizes data.

Rivian - I am so excited about your vehicle, and I am so excited about all the positive programs you are developing to support the environment. However, this good will and "protect the planet" attitude rings hollow if you do not extend that same courtesy to your customers.
The privacy policy and only-touchscreen controls tell me that my safety isn't Rivian's main priority. Save the planet, screw those funding it.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
The main point here is that Rivian could implement ALL of this without sharing our data with 3rd parties. Not having the ability to opt out of data sharing is a concern.

Coming to a vehicle near you S00N - Note: You must view this ad before starting your journey...
Don't think this type of thing hasn't been discussed.
I agree. Your vehicle could hold on to the historical data encrypted for 6 months and only in case of trouble you can punch in the password to share with Rivian in which case, they will have to destroy the data in a month by default unless you say they can hold on to it. You could have the option to hold the data past your car’s capacity in your own external device.

self regulation never works when the data can somehow be monetized.

photontorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Old Reliable
Nuts, fat fingered the wrong buttons on my keyboard. Here's the link to the cybercrime report:

photontorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Old Reliable
Third time's the charm:

https://www.ic3.gov/Media/PDF/AnnualReport/2020_IC3Report.pdf

If you look on p. 6, you'll see the breakdown of the time 5 crime types over the past few years, big jumps in several of them. Phishing is the big one. Just takes one distracted Rivian employee, and who knows what access hackers could get.
Sponsored