Sponsored

ubani

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T reservation (public transit and OneWheel)
Occupation
Software Engineer

Bumble1978

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Nissan Leaf, 2009 Toyota Prius
Occupation
IT Manager

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
A few months later, he was sitting on a rug in the Saudi Arabian desert, surrounded by smoky hookahs and dusty Toyotas. Over tea and sweets, Jameel’s son, Hassan, gave Scaringe homework: Design an efficient, rugged pickup — the lovechild of a Ford F-150, a Toyota Prius and a dune buggy.

Around year-end, Scaringe sent ALJ rough plans, and the company agreed to invest a nominal amount, but nevertheless a lifeline for the frantic Florida skunkworks. By the time Rivian decamped to Detroit a few months later, there were fewer than 10 employees.
Sounds like we have Hassan Jameel to thank too . . .

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Sounds like we have Hassan Jameel to thank too . . .
That's my take away as well. Knowing the 'right people' is sometimes more important than having the right idea.

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
Great life story and undoubtedly a great man, but the elephant in the room is that it’s October 11th and we have no notable public deliveries and no update from the September timeline.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
First I've heard of "rouge windshield wipers and an adaptive cruise control system on the blink". A driver assist system that is at least on par with the what is currently available from GM and Ford is what I'm looking forward to. I hope it doesn't take 2-3 years of OTA to get to a respectable level.

OP
OP

ubani

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T reservation (public transit and OneWheel)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Wait so, like more than usual? ???✌❤⚡??
? I would just say I really enjoyed this profile they put together. Not necessarily more down to earth than usual, but there were specific elements and stories I hadn't known about prior to this article.

Zac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Acura MDX
Clubs

Great life story and undoubtedly a great man, but the elephant in the room is that it’s October 11th and we have no notable public deliveries and no update from the September timeline.
We do have some information. Rivian is not prioritizing deliveries of R1T and R1S this year. (https://carbuzz.com/news/rivians-key-to-success-depends-on-amazon). My guess is that once they deliver their 300 Amazon Prime vans by the EOY, R1Ts and R1Ss will move up in the priority queue.

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Not so much the elephant in the room so much as the tiresome reply in every thread.

Sponsored

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA

Zac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Acura MDX
Clubs

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
You can't trust someone who can't name a resource, they can't even get the timeline right for the 100K vans, they are saying the end of the decade where it is actually by 2025 for the initial 100K per the Rivian S1 filing.

My opinion is their focus on the vans, certainly but they are also separate teams so focusing on one thing does not necessarily mean ignoring others. We always have multiple projects underway and all with focus and priorities but using different resources.

There certainly could be some supply constraints, batteries come to mind, where there could then be an impact on one line or another if a decision has to be made about material resource allocation.

That being said, if there is an issue supplying enough batteries for 300 vans having smaller packs then the R1 vehicles then any speculation about focus on the vans is a moot point as they would not be able to deliver the R1 vehicles in any volume anyway.

** Be careful with what you read, at some point you will probably see someone has read the above 2 paragraphs and will soon see a report that an "inside source familiar with the process" has stated there is a supply chain issue with the battery packs... ;)

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
The thesis is that Rivian is prioritizing Amazon vans over R1Ts was at best based on a misinterpretation of Rivian shifting engineering resources to the Amazon Van. I expect that Rivian shifted engineering resources to the Amazon Van, it was because they were no longer needed on the R1T which is further along in its development.

Bumble1978

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Nissan Leaf, 2009 Toyota Prius
Occupation
IT Manager
? I would just say I really enjoyed this profile they put together. Not necessarily more down to earth than usual, but there were specific elements and stories I hadn't known about prior to this article.
Yep, some die-hard, insider joker with a Rivian Blue LE better get a personalized plate that reads BluThng. ?✌❤⚡??
Sponsored