First Name
DaVe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi Q7
Occupation
Real Estate
Anyone know (or educated guess) how might a pre-order holder access the directed share program?
Airbnb offered directed shares in their IPO to hosts. We had a maximum allocation we could request, which was then reduced based on demand. We had to open an account with Merrill Lynch and then transfer funds there before the IPO date.
Sponsored

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
Yeah, I can see the appeal of "by the mile" but I can also see why Rivian would be like "yeah, no, fuck that, we want your $$..."

I AM curious what the cycle is on these subs. Is it month to month, quarterly, or annual.

I'd assume monthly (would suck to pay for a year sub and then sell the car 6 months into that year...).
I'm hoping, and suggested to Rivian, that they will bill by the kilowatt for their "Features+" (my word) offering. Don't drive much? Then you won't pay much.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
I think any vehicle launching without 800V charging is already outdated. Even GM figured this out.
It isn’t that simple, 800V charging is going to overload or overheat most current battery pack systems or cause undue wear on them. GM is able to offer this on their Halo Hummer EV because of the sheer size of the battery pack 200KWh+ on the EV3X with WTF upgrade or Edition 1. They only offer it on the higher trims with the largest packs as it can distribute enough power across the pack while charging so as not to overload any one cell or module. All this talk about 350KW+ or 800V+ and charging EVs in 15 minutes or less is really just that, talk. Won’t be a common thing until battery tech improves some more.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
If anyone is familiar with these documents. There are a bunch of places where there are clearly values missing. Like the % of shares set aside for the directed purchase, initial share price (and other stuff). Is that normal for an S-1? Is that something with the format of the doc we are reviewing (webpage and not a PDF) or do they just leave that blank for now and determine the final values prior to IPO?
Yes, they can update those with basically a change document once they have better information.

echerod

First Name
Rodolfo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3, BMW i3
Occupation
Finance
If anyone is familiar with these documents. There are a bunch of places where there are clearly values missing. Like the % of shares set aside for the directed purchase, initial share price (and other stuff). Is that normal for an S-1? Is that something with the format of the doc we are reviewing (webpage and not a PDF) or do they just leave that blank for now and determine the final values prior to IPO?
The latter

Sponsored

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
I hate the mile/minute reference. Partially because of implementation on some manufacturers. Depending on how I drive, my ID.4 says it's charging at a different mile/min for the same damn kw, because their logic works off the GOM. So 125kw may be 5 miles/minute, it may be 7 miles/minute. It's also much harder to see if something isn't doing what it's supposed to.
The other issue is that "Miles per minute" thing doesn't really address the white elephant in the room... 80%+ battery level. If my wife plug in her EV at 75% and wants to hit 100% before a long leg of a trip, and finds out that she's not getting 140 miles of charge in 20 minutes (more like 40 miles in 20 minutes)... ya know who she is calling... It AIN'T RIVIAN.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
It isn’t that simple, 800V charging is going to overload or overheat most current battery pack systems or cause undue wear on them. GM is able to offer this on their Halo Hummer EV because of the sheer size of the battery pack 200KWh+ on the EV3X with WTF upgrade or Edition 1. They only offer it on the higher trims with the largest packs as it can distribute enough power across the pack while charging so as not to overload any one cell or module. All this talk about 350KW+ or 800V+ and charging EVs in 15 minutes or less is really just that, talk. Won’t be a common thing until battery tech improves some more.
They have 800v on multiple levels. The max is 350kW, but they still communicate that the lower size batter is 300kW. That's still on a 800v system (which my understanding is just splitting the pack similar to the Rivian patent).

Also, the same kW on 800v produces less heat than on a 400v system. So there's a benefit there as well.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

The other issue is that "Miles per minute" thing doesn't really address the white elephant in the room... 80%+ battery level. If my wife plug in her EV at 75% and wants to hit 100% before a long leg of a trip, and finds out that she's not getting 140 miles of charge in 20 minutes (more like 40 miles in 20 minutes)... ya know who she is calling... It AIN'T RIVIAN.
Go into her phone prior to said trip and change the phone number under your contact to that of your Rivian Guide.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
I'm hoping, and suggested to Rivian, that they will bill by the kilowatt for their "Features+" (my word) offering. Don't drive much? Then you won't pay much.
And if I was an evil little man I'd say, "Sure!" and then put in place a sliding scale, the less you drive, the more you are charged per KWh of use so that at the end of the day, if you drove less, or more, I still get the same amount.

...if I were an evil little man...

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
And if I was an evil little man I'd say, "Sure!" and then put in place a sliding scale, the less you drive, the more you are charged per KWh of use so that at the end of the day, if you drove less, or more, I still get the same amount.

...if I were an evil little man...
Sooooo .... how tall are you? :)

Sponsored

Blg3404

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Radiology Tech (For now)
Personally, I think the only fair thing is that if Rivian isn’t allowed to sell me a car in PA, surely PA isn’t owed a cent of sales tax from my out of state transaction :)
Agree with this! Ohio doesn't deserve my cash lol

sierraskier

First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Earthroamer, Rivian R1T x 2, KTM 300 XCW
Can someone with more knowledge of the sales model comment on what the ramifications are of living in a restricted state?

Blg3404

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Radiology Tech (For now)
Can someone with more knowledge of the sales model comment on what the ramifications are of living in a restricted state?
I know people in Michigan came to Ohio to buy Tesla but in terms of taxes and whatnot I am not sure

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Sales restricted, worst case you would have to complete your purchase in a state that they are allowed to sell in.

In lieu of physically going there, you may have the option of completing the transaction in that state then having the vehicle shipped to you.

Tesla did this in several states before they got the laws changed (and I believe they still do in some)

WRT to taxes, it depends on your state. All states that I have lived have required me to pay sales tax on a vehicle if I registered it in their state within some amount of time of purchase as new (e.g. 6 months) or if it had less than x miles on it.