Sponsored

(Bed) size matters

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I'm sure GM & Ford will also have full size truck options in the coming years, but I doubt you will see quad motors & the sort of performance Rivian will provide.
Sponsored

Joel Johnson

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, Ford Escape hybrid
I can guarantee a 8'x4' sheet of plywood will not lay flat in the bed. I am expecting a bed size of a Toyota Tacoma or Chevy Colorado
Dear Rivian. Please offer a truck with a 6-ft or longer bed length.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
I suspect the main reasons you won't see a longer bed on this model/iteration are the transmission and the motor on each wheel software they're working on. The linked hydraulic/air suspension likely puts a lot of its action fore to aft. Supporting different distances between the wheels is a lot more development time and different part sets to accommodate at the factory (which can get expensive fast). That change could also require re-solving an entire problem domain for the fancy steering/traction/slippage control they'll be leveraging from the independent motors. They have one and a half cars to do well. The R1T and the half of the R1S that isn't an R1T (but same wheel spread).

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
I can guarantee a 8'x4' sheet of plywood will not lay flat in the bed. I am expecting a bed size of a Toyota Tacoma or Chevy Colorado
Dimensions are pretty similar to a modern Ford Ranger supercrew.

ElectricDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Dimensions are pretty similar to a modern Ford Ranger supercrew.
First quoted forum post, not sure if it'll work, but I got some good details from a Rivian rep regarding bed size. See below:

"Hi Dan,

Congrats on your R1T preorder and welcome to the Rivian family! Regarding specs, any vehicle specifications are subject to change prior to production. To answer your question, we can share that the wheelhouse width is 50 inches. This makes the internal dimensions of the truck bed between the wheel wells greater than 48 inches. Hope this helps!

Best,
Gabi"

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
At the Mill Valley/SF event, I was told by Adam Gase that plywood will fit in the back of the R1T with the tailgate down. There are small wheel well bumps, so if you want a load to ride flat, underneath support pieces would likely have to be added in the back of the bed. In this case, you don't get to take advantage of the full depth of the bed, but the wheel well bumps are not major.

ElectricDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee
At the Mill Valley/SF event, I was told by Adam Gase that plywood will fit in the back of the R1T with the tailgate down. There are small wheel well bumps, so if you want a load to ride flat, underneath support pieces would likely have to be added in the back of the bed. In this case, you don't get to take advantage of the full depth of the bed, but the wheel well bumps are not major.
When you say support pieces are you referring to something to support the rearmost part of the sheetgoods, that hang beyond the tailgate?

My first plan would be to lay a 4x8 piece of plywood with some 2x4s underneath running lengthwise to support the weight and stiffen the plywood. I figure that would be good for drywall.

Sponsored

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
That - 2 x 4s - would work well. Probably better than my idea of support blocks.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
I don't think I would go through the expense and hassle to do these things. I would just buy a base work truck at a third of the cost or if electric was my real want I would go Cybertruck.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Those silver anchors in the bed are for the roof rack bars, if you needed to elevate a load over the wheelwell bumps.

I'm curious how much weight the tailgate could support. Due to the 180 degree capability, it lacks the support cables that traditional tailgates have.
Sponsored