Attending Fully Charged Live in Austin?

Attending?

• Total voters

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
  • No CarPlay or Android Auto. I feel like I’ve heard a few mixed things about this, but the guy I spoke to said they will definitely not be available. They believe their system is more seamless.
I am not surprised. No doubt the app integration will be more seamless. And I understand that their Nav app will be mandatory to get the tight integration with the charging system for route planning, locating charging stations, etc but my commute to work every day doesn't require this. I highly doubt their traffic routing will come anywhere close to Waze nor will it contain the same crowd sourced data such as police, accident, etc locations. I honestly don't care about the lack of support for Android Auto or Apple Car Play but not being able to project (or natively run?) Waze on the Rivian's screen is a really big miss. What I desperately need is the ability to effectively route around Dallas rush hour traffic and NOTHING does that better than Waze right now, not even Google Maps. I can always run Waze on my phone but that isn't nearly as nice (or safe) as projecting that onto the vehicle display as I do with Android Auto on my Volvo.
Sponsored

TXKidd

First Name
Harrison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T pre-order
I spoke with a battery engineer who took note of many things I brought up that she didn’t have answers to. She said she’d try to email if she’s able to get any answers :fingerscrossed:. I edited my previous post, but two employees made it seem like a burnt orange/root beer color will be available. I also tried to politely bring up the lack of communication regarding updates, and that seemed to hit home pretty well. So hopefully we’ll start to hear more!

Last edited:

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor AWD, Ford F150 EB 4X4 Platinum 6.5ft bed
Well I was there at the Rivian stand for a little while earlier. Didn’t have a ton of time to talk to the employees, but did find out a few things (might not be all new to everyone):

• No CarPlay or Android Auto. I feel like I’ve heard a few mixed things about this, but the guy I spoke to said they will definitely not be available. They believe their system is more seamless.
  • Once again, prices will be lower than previously expected.
  • The plan is to have a somewhat similar driver display visualization for surrounding vehicles and things (like Tesla).
  • I asked about something similar to sentry mode, but the person was unsure about it.
  • Most probably know, but there’s no “glovebox”. Storage up-front includes the center console & pull-out drawer, plus storage under seats. The transmission tunnel area will have walls about 3 inches higher to better hold handbags and things.
  • They learned a lot of things regarding ‘impacts’ while driving during the Long Way Up trip (aka jumping the dune). Also the trucks they used for the trip had a pretty much production ready skateboard, but the body panels and finishings were hastily put together to make the trip. They originally didn’t think they’d be able to have them ready. Hence the trucks looking a little rough by the time they made it to LA.
  • There will be more leg room for the third row for production than the current R1S prototype.
  • I believe I also heard the frunk will be slightly larger.
  • The front seats will be both heated and cooled, but the back seats are only heated.
  • The motors are essentially as efficient as Tesla’s, but the higher rolling resistance tires lead to slightly lower equivalent ranges.
  • The configurator will go live ‘late summer’ followed shortly by test-drive details.
  • From what I understood, you’ll be able to swipe UI/App cards from the central display to the drivers display to bring things closer to your vision.
  • There will be games to play similar to the Tesla arcade.
  • A burnt orange color is quite likely!
I’ll try to update when I think of more things. I’ll also be returning for the happy-hour event at 4:30pm.
Thanks! Great intel. Looking forward to more! I'm from El Paso, TX. Couldn't make the trip but glad that other Texans made it. Have fun and stay safe!

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
Thanks! Great intel. Looking forward to more! I'm from El Paso, TX. Couldn't make the trip but glad that other Texans made it. Have fun and stay safe!
Nice post.

Regarding your 6th bullet about the Rivian’s getting to LA after The Long Way Up trip. Something was bugging me about the door latches being skimpy...I have owned several bmw’s and the way doors closed are nice and secure.

checkout the R1S’s door anchor ... do you guys agree that this is flimsy? I am sure this supports RayzorBEV’s findings. Thoughts?

Rivian R1T R1S Attending Fully Charged Live in Austin? upload_2020-2-1_19-49-37

I want a solid vehicle that does not rattle. I want a fit and finish like a German built vehicle.

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
I started to inspect my photos. That latch anchor would connect to the door here

Rivian R1T R1S Attending Fully Charged Live in Austin? upload_2020-2-1_19-57-43

I would love anybody’s opinion on this....since these vehicles are still prototypes, I hope all agree this will change by production time.

I also judge the quality of car by how the sound of the doors shuts. At all the Rivian events I have been, there is very little touching and doors typically stay open. Very controlled for now I think to prevent any doubt about quality.

Last edited:

Sponsored

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I started to inspect my photos. That latch anchor would connect to the door here

upload_2020-2-1_19-57-43.jpeg

I would love anybody’s opinion on this....since these vehicles are still prototypes, I hope all agree this will change by production time.

I also judge the quality of car by how the sound of the doors shuts. At all the Rivian events I have been, there is very little touching and doors typically stay open. Very controlled for now I think to prevent any doubt about quality.
-Funny that you noticed; these latch and receiver looks nearly identical to my Tesla Model 3 and my doors shuts very solidly without a tin can or vibration sound. Tesla Model X have soft-close or self-close doors, so no need to slam shut them. No doubt prototypes shown here, but Rivian is marketing these BEVs as premium adventure vehicles, who knows, may be it will have similar self closing features.

Anyone out there have seen a Rivian door being closed first hand, if so, please share your thoughts, thanks.

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Here's a link that shows how the door handle works and doors opening and closing. Noticed how the rear door was closed (2:56). Skip to 1:22 and 2:42 to see doors in action (and the electric Frunk!)
Rivian R1T R1S Attending Fully Charged Live in Austin? Screenshot_20200202-040445_YouTube

Last edited:

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
Thanks for sharing this. The closure of the rear door was very controlled in the video. There was another video of the frunk opening and closing, I think at the Seattle event or Amazon event and it seemed wobbly. At Mill Valley they always talked with doors opened and often told people not to touch anything. I am sure the kinks are being fixed. Right now it is about maintaining enthusiasm and informing people of their focus on quality. For now i want to trust them. More will be revealed when we test drive them:)

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
checkout the R1S’s door anchor ... do you guys agree that this is flimsy?
I don't think you have anything to worry about there. This is a pretty standard striker/latch setup used by many brands including BMW, Audi and Volvo. My current Volvo, for example:
Rivian R1T R1S Attending Fully Charged Live in Austin? 20200202_093540

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
Excellent thank you. I guess things have improved greatly since my 2001 740i which I loved and donated to our veterans about five years ago.

Sponsored

twinprice

First Name
Winston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon XL Denali, Tesla Model Y, and LE RS1 - Hopefully!
Clubs

Will someone at FCL ask about the sound system? Perhaps they aren't giving any details but it would be interesting to know if their system will be able to compete with the premium Tesla system. Specifically, the Model 3 has (and Model Y will have) 14 speakers, 1 sub, 2 amps. Not that number of speakers = quality of sound, but Tesla is clearly looking for a premium sound. Is Rivian going for the same?

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Will someone at FCL ask about the sound system? Perhaps they aren't giving any details but it would be interesting to know if their system will be able to compete with the premium Tesla system. Specifically, the Model 3 has (and Model Y will have) 14 speakers, 1 sub, 2 amps. Not that number of speakers = quality of sound, but Tesla is clearly looking for a premium sound. Is Rivian going for the same?
-I'm interested too. Coming from the Tesla Immersive Sound; one of the best out there. How good is Rivian's? EVs in general are so quiet, a quality sound system is a must, imho.

Also, I have grown to love my Sentry Mode, wonder if Rivian offers something similar to it , that would be awesome!

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I asked RJ about the sound system in Mill Valley. He didn't share any details other than they will have an option for a really nice stereo system. Hopefully we'll get more details on this soon.

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I asked RJ about the sound system in Mill Valley. He didn't share any details other than they will have an option for a really nice stereo system. Hopefully we'll get more details on this soon.
"have an option for a really nice stereo system."
-So, that sounds like the standard stereo is just so-so to me...I'm afraid Rivian will be going the route of many ICE builder, options galore and by the time I'm done opting my R1T out, it will be in a different price class, lol...Please prove me wrong, Rivian...

Dubs

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX460
Attended the Austin event Saturday. Tremendous turnout and safe to say Rivian was the star of the show. Spoke with battery engineer, HR, motor team and software. Each of them were highly knowledgeable and I came away knowing that I’m buying the right rig. Did hear that the configurator is expected end of Summer at which time warranty/service programs will be in place. Wanted to ask Charlie about the air suspension but he was occupied.

Rivian R1T R1S Attending Fully Charged Live in Austin? ACAF2DD7-3575-4510-8909-F402506B3922

Rivian R1T R1S Attending Fully Charged Live in Austin? E825F451-AE4B-4CCB-A947-0ED13ED7AC57

Rivian R1T R1S Attending Fully Charged Live in Austin? DA2125AB-7C52-48A1-8E0C-CBBCEA64F19E

Rivian R1T R1S Attending Fully Charged Live in Austin? 311D68EF-4BE6-4B1D-A823-4515A1C30CD7
Sponsored