Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Please start a new thread in OT for any ongoing 3D printing discussions. Thanks!
Sponsored

superfluid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Kia Telluride
Occupation
Tech
The price difference between trims get you more than just the upgraded audio system. I don't think it was mentioned in the Motor Trend piece but people invited to the recent event in Normal who were asked about the Meridian system said that it sounded very good.
Thanks. I'm only interested in the sound system portion of the trim package, so that's what I'm focused on.

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
Thanks. I'm only interested in the sound system portion of the trim package, so that's what I'm focused on.
This has been one of my primary curiosities and I expect will be answered once the app/user guide is available. I really want to know if I can play back audio from USB stick as well as the audio formats supported. I am _really_ hoping that it will support 5.1 channel AAC files.

obababoy

First Name
Chilbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 LR Discovery, 2011 WRX/STI, 2021 Palisade
Occupation
Cyber
Clubs

My hot take of the video photos and text:

1. 20inch wheels with scorpion AT tires is the ONLY way to get this vic
2. These headlight photos are great!
3. Sentry mode confirmed
4. Gear tunnel trim looks super cheap and will likely get ripped out with hard bottom bags.
5. Frunk interior appears to be missing flexibility but we will see how this pans out
6. Rear section of front wheel well has an opening to send debri right to the front door panel. Can anyone explain?
7. Love the light on the speaker...hope it is bright enough for picnic table
8. Tire change mode should use air suspension to suspend the flat tire.

Overall I am pumped. Just some interesting/weird choices that I wouldnt make...but maybe im missing a perspective.

superfluid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Kia Telluride
Occupation
Tech
This has been one of my primary curiosities and I expect will be answered once the app/user guide is available. I really want to know if I can play back audio from USB stick as well as the audio formats supported. I am _really_ hoping that it will support 5.1 channel AAC files.
A man after my own heart! Multi-channel audio decoding would be awesome. The big thing for me will be solid bass.

Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I really doubt they spent so much time with it only to write this preliminary review. There will be further articles.
They specifically said they have the truck for a while longer, I assume we'll get more (probably around the time the embargo breaks for other pre-reviewers.)

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
6. Rear section of front wheel well has an opening to send debri right to the front door panel. Can anyone explain?
For aero - it should help with efficiency. You'll see similar designs on lots of cars (including my Model Y).

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
I have a feeling with all that instant electric torque we should all put some money aside for tires. well at least if you plan on driving it like I do. ;)
You are correct!

Not only instant torque, but a tsunami of it, can be a tad... rough... on your tires.

Any issues around camber or over/under inflation will exacerbate the wear as well.

I've seen lead footed Tesla folks eat tires like they were candy due to the above factors.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I think this comes down to preference. I hate buttons on the center console. I like them for windows and on the steering wheel. My experience has always been center console buttons are hard to clean and always look dirty. I like the outside of my truck to be dirty, not the inside. :D
Never had an issue with dirty buttons but my experience has always been that touch screens collect fingerprints and always look dirty (I was pleased to see that Rivian will at least have a mode to facilitate cleaning).

I'm not anti-touch screen. Quite the contrary, I think they aboslutely have their benefits but that doesn't mean that everything needs to be through the touch screen. Adjusting the vents for example, is something both my wife and I do one or more times on almost every trip and appreciate being able to simply reach down and adjust the vent without ever taking my eyes off the road. And for my wife who is visually impaired, the touch screen is simply not accessible. Can't wait to see how or if adjusting the vents works with Alexa.... "more to the left, now up a little, no a little more back to the right, now up a little more".

Last edited:

Matty J

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW X7
It seems Spotify is the preferred streaming service for the Rivian at launch, though I'd imagine that they would also include an option for the Amazon Music service at some point.

Time will tell... regardless, if Spotify is it, I hope we can access Spotify HiFi when it's released for lossless playback. If Amazon Music, we need the Amazon Music HD option for streaming enabled too!

When I had my Model S with premium sound, I could use an upgraded Slackr account for higher bitrate streaming which helped, but nothing close to lossless quality. My wife's Model 3 does not have an option to stream at a higher bitrate that I can tell, and it doesn't sound very good in relation to playback via USB from my iPhone with 44.1k tracks I've downloaded to my device.

The Meridian with lossless streaming, would be an awesome and welcomed improvement from MP3's, and what the competitors are offering.

https://www.techradar.com/news/spot...rice-quality-features-rumors-and-song-catalog

Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Never had an issue with dirty buttons but my experience has always been that touch screens collect fingerprints and always look dirty (I was pleased to see that Rivian will at least have a mode to facilitate cleaning).

I'm not anti-touch screen. Quite the contrary, I think they aboslutely have their benefits but that doesn't mean that everything needs to be through the touch screen. Adjusting the vents for example, is something both my wife and I do one or more times on almost every trip and appreciate being able to simply reach down an adjust the vent without ever taking my eyes off the road. And for my wife who is visually impaired, the touch screen is simply not accessible. Can't wait to see how or if adjusting the vents works with Alexa.... "more to the left, now up a little, no a little more back to the right, now up a little more".
Not to mention, if you have grumpy humans napping in the back, the last thing you want to do is initiate a voice conversation where you're trying to whisper instructions, only for Alexa to respond, "I'M SORRY I DIDN'T GET THAT! DID YOU SAY, TURN UP AC/DC?".

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
I have a feeling with all that instant electric torque we should all put some money aside for tires. well at least if you plan on driving it like I do. ;)
Since Amazon is a big investor I'm hoping I can get a Subscribe & Save 15% discount on the Pirelli AT's.

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Sad that this basically confirms no grocery bag hooks in frunk.

1630430610062.png
Remember when the Frunk actually looked like it belonged in an $80K vehicle and had lights and hooks and carpet? I do.

Rivian R1T R1S Motor Trend Review: The 2022 Rivian R1T Is the Most Remarkable Pickup We’ve Ever Driven 1630513497578

It's disappointing how exceptionally cheap certain aspects of the vehicle have become.

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
It's disappointing how exceptionally cheap certain aspects of the vehicle have become.
Comparatively, I agree. But, there are other angles on the MT web site that show that the hooks are now moved to the front/leading edge of the frunk and there is now a cargo net as well. That said, I agree entirely on the apparent materials change and how it impacts the fit-and-finish.
Sponsored