Sponsored

nukem384

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3/Rivian R1S
Would be quite a nice surprise if range estimates were AWD and conserve mode takes you some measurable distance further. Will be interesting to hear the results of highway tests of this.
Yeah looking forward to it. I have a feeling the Rivian's will exceed the EPA estimates or at least meet them like most legacy auto cars. I just can't see them using some relatively shady calculation like Tesla where you're never getting the EPA estimate unless you're driving 60MPH and have perfect weather.
Sponsored

nukem384

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3/Rivian R1S
lots of reasons, lol. Like 0-60 in 3 seconds. While there will be lots of around town driving I would never call it puttering in the Rivian.

Besides, with electric, unless I'm road tripping, I'm not super concerned with efficient driving anymore.
I think the only time I'd put it in 2WD is if it's some super long road trip where I want to maximum miles so I can stop less. Around town, yeah I'll keep it in AWD so I can roast anything off the line lol. Also because, home charging. Doesn't matter how much I use in a day, I can get back home and get it all back overnight.

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Yeah, why bother w/ serious power cruising 70mph and going to camp for 7 days...the perfromance thing is cool but for minutes vs multi-day vacation...

Sure would be nice to get that extra range driving the long flat 5 and 99 in central California on the way to Yosemite or Sequoia.

Sponsored

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & CrossTrek
Occupation
Warranty & Product Integrity Manager - Yakima Racks.
Clubs

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & CrossTrek
Occupation
Warranty & Product Integrity Manager - Yakima Racks.
Clubs

Rivian R1T offers real-time torque vectoring, delivering power precisely to the corner where it's needed with no delays for clutches to close or viscous couplings to couple.

That's key for such a large vehicle and is usually done poorly, even in the latest vehicles.

We felt the R1T's torque-vectoring superpowers at work: The outside-rear motor powered up and brought the R1T's nose around, and we blasted out of the turn like the Millennium Falcon—and this with four occupants in the cab, several hundred pounds of gear in the bed, and all-terrain tires...

Nerds.
THE FORCE!!

Tyleem111

First Name
Tylee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, 2022 Ford Lightning, Daiharsu Mira, Ranger
Clubs

Now that we have a better view of the speaker, and compartment it fits in, has anyone thought about possible future accessories that would fit in that space? Maybe a simple slide out drawer for more storage/extra cup holders? Maybe a lantern that is more focus on good light coverage that you can hang up at a camp site?

Also the article said it was offered on the launch edition and adventure packages. I wonder what Rivian does with that space (which looks to be pretty decently sized) on the explore package. Is it just a hole? Capped off? Depending on my storage needs after using it for a bit, I’m thinking I may remove the speaker for extra space unless I know I’ll be going on a trip and using it.

Thoughts?

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
1630433636879.png

This is interesting.
  1. I read this as 301 mile "rated" range. Would have loved more out of that "+", but this is fine. Wonder if it takes tires and settings into account for the display range. (I only show % SoC on Tesla because the range estimate is useless without those factors included.)
  2. I'm curious if this is "300 miles in Conserve mode with 2WD on and no A/C" or if that stretches out a few more miles. Hopefully the latter - I assume EPA cycles don't use funky range extender modes.
  3. Surprised that "Daily" is well below 70% SoC when Tesla recommends 80-90% and Elon has talked often about diminishing returns in <90% daily charging. Neither here nor there but it's interesting.
I wonder if the 301 is GOM based on recent driving data for the full battery. We will see soon enough hopefully. :)

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Can one of the resident experts explain how they can efficiently go 2wd? Would they completely disengage the rear motors? Otherwise your rotating a permanent magnet motor which will be inefficient due to less than 1:1 regen…seems like a great feature for highway, but confused with how it would work
I am not an expert, but I suspect the most elegant way this can be achieved is by using different motors in the front and rear. (I also believe this is how some of the more recent Model S vehicles work, but info seems limited on that front). The front motors can be permanent magnet reluctance motors that are highly efficient. Because of the permanent magnets, these motors are “always on.” You cannot tow because the front motors will always be trying to add regen back into the battery if the wheels are spinning. The rear motors can be induction motors instead of permanent magnet motors. The induction motors are only “on” if the stator is on and generating a magnetic field that induces the rotor to spin. If there is no power being delivered to the rear motors, there’s no magnetic field and no regen when the rear wheels are spun. The rear inverter can control whether the vehicle is 2WD or 4WD

Rivian also could accomplish this with some gearing that engages/disengages a rear motor from the axles. But I’ve long thought the induction motor in the rear is the elegant solution to this, and might permit more dynamic use of the rear motors beyond what we traditionally think of as 2WD vs AWD.

Sponsored

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I wonder if the 301 is GOM based on recent driving data for the full battery. We will see soon enough hopefully. :)
About this, I'm kind if annoyed at MT. In their video they said that they were in the truck over 40 hours. Their map shows their cross country route, and they couldn't tell us how efficient it was. Give a car to a youtuber and they'd be showing us a few videos of the different aspects of the truck, including efficiency, towing, offroading, 0-60, track performance, interior [at least MT did have a 2 min video about interior]... I get that they got a preproduction truck, but they still complained about the infotainment and seats. They just excused it by saying it's pre production. They could've done the same for any other test they did. I think youtubers are doing a better job reviewing than auto journalists. Auto journalists just want to sit in the truck and talk about everything they did, where as youtubers want to show us everything they are doing.

Rivian R1T R1S Motor Trend Review: The 2022 Rivian R1T Is the Most Remarkable Pickup We’ve Ever Driven FB_IMG_1630492643646

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

About this, I'm kind if annoyed at MT. In their video they said that they were in the truck over 40 hours. Their map shows their cross country route, and they couldn't tell us how efficient it was. Give a car to a youtuber and they'd be showing us a few videos of the different aspects of the truck, including efficiency, towing, offroading, 0-60, track performance, interior [at least MT did have a 2 min video about interior]... I get that they got a preproduction truck, but they still complained about the infotainment and seats. They just excused it by saying it's pre production. They could've done the same for any other test they did. I think youtubers are doing a better job reviewing than auto journalists. Auto journalists just want to sit in the truck and talk about everything they did, where as youtubers want to show us everything they are doing.

FB_IMG_1630492643646.jpg
I wonder if the mileage stuff is still embargoed, with Rivian arguing they were still tweaking stuff before sending final details to the EPA?

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I wonder if the mileage stuff is still embargoed, with Rivian arguing they were still tweaking stuff before sending final details to the EPA?
I wondered about that too, but don't journalists usually say:"we can't talk about this since it's still under embargo", so the review feels honest.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

FB_IMG_1630492643646.jpg
They had a week with it, the same trucks have been seen in california, and there’s this map.

I really doubt they spent so much time with it only to write this preliminary review. There will be further articles.
Sponsored