Flypony53

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, F150 Lightning Platinum
TLDR;;

RIP Led Tasso (The name of our R1S, for Ted Lasso fans, this pays homage to the more agressive, angry version of Ted - somewhat how we felt with the performance of the R1S, just a beast).

So, first let me start with everyone is ok with no injuries and no other vehicles damaged. With that, let me start. My wife was on a longer drive that requires 99-100% of battery to get round trip we take this every few weeks to visit her parents in a small east Texas town. There is only 1 charger along the route, and it is very hit or miss, so if we keep it calm and drive in conserve, her R1S will make the trip with a few miles remaining. Not really for the faint of heart, but definitely doable.

Fast forward to last week, my wife was driving home at night at highway speeds when an 18 wheeler came over on top of her. As she went to swerve, her front wheel struck an unusual curb on the small bridge she was crossing, blowing out both driver side tires. Effectively causing her to lose control. and spinning out in the grass median and slamming into the center divider. All of the side curtain airbags went off, but the front air bags did not deploy. Looking at the damage after the event, cannot tell what is broken yet, insurance has initially told us it will be totaled, but still pending final outcome. Of course, all of this happened while I was literally half way around the world on a business trip.

Lots of battery warnings went off, car shut off, nothing usable. Could not open the frunk, center console, hatch, etc. Only the door handles on the driver side are extended. Fast forward a bit over a week after I returned and was able to access the vehicle. No power at all to the vehicle. I was able to get the frunk open after hunting for the manual release which is not labled or easy to find (which I guess is really good for safety/security, but sucked for laying on the ground in the salvage yard searching). I had to break the center console to get it to open and recover the flash drive, which brings me to my next issue. Flash drive stopped recoring back in December, with no footage since 12/30. Very disappointed as there was plenty of capacity on the drive, nothing told me it was disconnected, just seems like it just stopped recording, so no ability to go after the truck's insurance since they had not stopped and no one got the plate information. Only good news is there were witnesses who stopped, she was clearly not at fault, but still a hit on the insurance. Good news for me is I had added new car replacement to my coverage policy as my price was at the pre price increase prices. Looking forward to the battle over value with the insurance company.

Now I am searching for the replacement. She had been a Tesla driver prior to the Rivian. She was an early adopter of the Model Y. Her big complaint on the Rivian is the charging infrastructure. In her Tesla, she never had an issue with road trips on her own. With a customer site visit in San Antonio or Austin, visiting our Daughter in Ft Worth, she was fully comfortable taking the trip by herself. With the Rivian, she has been very frustrated as the charging stations are hit an miss causing unnecessary angst and frustration.

She is trying to decide if she just goes back to an ICE vehicle so she is not beholden to a state of charge when she might need to make a long trip last minute as her parents are aging. Tesla is a good car, but not sure she wants another Model Y as they are everywhere (we never had an issue with build quality, our Model Y was solid). If we are not doing another Rivian, she is not a fan of going to any CCS vehicle. We are also both concerned about when Tesla network opens up, what issues are we going to see at Tesla stations? I witness ignorance at every CCS location I stop at with highly uneducated drivers. To be fair, Tesla has many of the same, but i feel the software helps lead people to better understand what to expect. And, just pulling up, plugging in and it working 99+% of the time with no need for an app/credit card/etc is far simpler.

We are a majority EV family with 3 out of 4 of our cars being EVs (My wife's Rivian R1S, Model Y my daughter inherited when the R1S was delivered, and my F150 Lighting), so we are all in. But, I see why there is a slow down in adoption. I am a fan and understand the additional planning, but when you reach plan C for a drive and still have to wait an hour to add 10 miles of range to make it home because it is 35 outside, I question if it is all worth it.

Did not intend to rant for so long. If you read this far, I advise you to get off the forum and go drive your Rivian, we never know how long they will be with us and every moment is precious.
Sponsored

kewlasu

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LA Silver Adventure Large Pack 21"
Clubs

:eek: I'm glad to hear she's ok. Hopefully the state of charging infrastructure will get better once we have access to Tesla SC later this year.

Tr4ckD4ys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Clubs

Glad everyone is safe and god damn that truck driver - unbelievable they would just run off. So disheartening.

I agree on everything you’re saying in charging infrastructure … it’s really still a grind for Non-Tesla owners.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Glad she's ok. I was fiddling with the flash drive last weekend and saw the car was showing no flash drive. I removed it and inserted it back and all is good. Not sure why that happened. It would have been great if your one was actually working. Have you reach out to Rivian to see if they have any special access to video at the time of the accident. If she pressed the horn it would have triggered an incident that records the video.

Sounds like the Rivian was able to make the trip safely. I prefer larger cars now with all the nutters out there. Hope everything works out for you.

OP
OP
Flypony53

Flypony53

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, F150 Lightning Platinum
Glad she's ok. I was fiddling with the flash drive last weekend and saw the car was showing no flash drive. I removed it and inserted it back and all is good. Not sure why that happened. It would have been great if your one was actually working. Have you reach out to Rivian to see if they have any special access to video at the time of the accident. If she pressed the horn it would have triggered an incident that records the video.

Sounds like the Rivian was able to make the trip safely. I prefer larger cars now with all the nutters out there. Hope everything works out for you.
Appreciate everyone focusing on her safety. That is the first thing we must look at with a vehicle. I urge folks to always think of the safety of a vehicle prior to any other function. The Rivian SOS system engaged and reached out, this is an incredible comfort for me.

Unfortunately, she did not hit the horn as she was just trying to keep control. Will reach out to Rivian, but not sure it will help.

The location of the drive USB is really not good overall, so likely one of us bumped it at one point. Would love a message to pop up and say something.

To the point, Rivian is a really safe vehicle and handled everything well. The video is more of an after thought of the vehicle, but one that my Tesla handles without issue. My wife turns 50 this year and typically drives 20-25k miles a year and this is her first accident ever.

Sponsored

dradam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S OC LA Silver 21 as of Nov 3, 2022 !!
Glad she ok and I wonder if a “Y” would have protected her as well. 4 months in 1st time EV owner I can’t imagine going back to ICE let alone a sedan. Opening up Tesla chargers will be a game changer I think and hopefully take away one anxiety if you stay with Rivian.

KBabione

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S and other ICE
Occupation
Consultant
Glad to hear she's okay - scary story. By definition, this should qualify as an "incident" and should be stored (along with the previous couple of minutes) on the internal drive. Certainly having the DriveCam footage would have been convenient, but Rivian should be able to access the incident footage - At least I think that's how this works.

Reminder to all of us to pull our external drives and check them regularly (monthly)? Good luck with everything.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Wow, that could have been so much worse. So glad she is ok.

You have to do what is best for your family. If there is no indication there will be new chargers where you drive most, then it would be totally understandable going with something else. Good luck to you guys whatever you end up with.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Glad your better half is good and healthy. All else is just stuff.

While you and she loved the Rivian and it likely protected her in what sounds like a serious accident, get the X if she needs the peace of mind for both charging and safety by swapping out another one of your fleet. Use insurance new replacement to get Ted II for yourself.

Krusty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ninety Eight 90 Supra 90 Range Rover
Occupation
Business Owner
Good to hear everyone is okay. My wife has a X5 50e and loves it. It's perfect for her driving needs (less than 40 miles per day) and we've filled up the tank maybe 4 or 5 times in the 4500 miles we've driven. The new Lexus TX plug-in is also a decent compromise if charging is an issue and you can daily within the all electric range.

Sponsored

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I simply can't imagine going back to an ICE. My wife's Rav4 Hybrid feels like a relic when I get into it.

Glad everyone is ok. I also love how safe the Rivians are.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

If the airbags go off, the pyro fuse gets blown, which prevents the HV battery from being used. Should be able to get the infotainment to come up by jumping the truck, but won't be drivable.

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
VW ID4, R1T (on order); Prev: R1T QM
I'm glad to hear your wife is fine.

The charging infrastructure isn't good around here unless you own a Tesla, I completely agree.

I have two thoughts: Rivian is likely getting access to the Tesla SC network prior to the end of summer. I don't know your exact route but this might completely eliminate that issue.

The second part is on safety. I'm not saying other vehicles wouldn't haven't protected your wife but do you think it's possible she could have been seriously injured if she had been in an ice SUV?

It's a consideration that we definitely keep in mind when it comes to car shopping now.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Unfortunately, she did not hit the horn as she was just trying to keep control. Will reach out to Rivian, but not sure it will help.
Hitting the horn if unnecessary, it'll auto-record loss of control situations as well, e.g. fishtailing on gravel or (let's hope) getting run off the road.

As @Dark-Fx suggested, jump the 12v to get the infotainment back up and you might find the recording there.

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

Thank goodness, she is okay! Cars are a tool, they can be replaced. If you only need a 5 seater I'd hold out for the Macan. Charging infrastructure was a consideration, but new access is right around the corner. I don't think we could ever go ICE, but a plug in hybrid, absolutely. Wait until the end of rhe year for the new Landcruiser plug in or better yet the GX.
Sponsored