First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
97 Tacoma; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
I have searched the threads and haven't seen this brought up so I wanted to see if anyone has thoughts on this.

I live in a state that requires you to mount front plates on your vehicle (TX). I don't see a license plate mount in any of the pics and I haven't seen it brought up in other discussions.
I'm not about to go drilling holes in my new $75k truck. I also don't really want to have the plate sitting in my front dash, as I've seen on some vehicles.

I'm thinking that I am likely just going to risk it and only have the rear plate but wanted to see if others in the group have thought about this and what you are planning to do.
Sponsored

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I run without front plates on all my vehicles. In CA and IL I have had no issues but it is an excuse for them to pull you over if they want to and give you a fix it ticket.

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I doubt they could get away with selling vehicles without front plate mounts in states that require them.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Rivian will provide a front plate bracket where required by law. Ironically, the one on the R1S appears to be taped in place. ?
Rivian R1T R1S Front License Plates 601ebd70bbc9e.image

Rivian R1T R1S Front License Plates 8d23c23db2abb6e9e087e5d93f9d5226

Last edited:

Sponsored

MurryR1T

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T delivered 3-24-22
I have searched the threads and haven't seen this brought up so I wanted to see if anyone has thoughts on this.

I live in a state that requires you to mount front plates on your vehicle (TX). I don't see a license plate mount in any of the pics and I haven't seen it brought up in other discussions.
I'm not about to go drilling holes in my new $75k truck. I also don't really want to have the plate sitting in my front dash, as I've seen on some vehicles.

I'm thinking that I am likely just going to risk it and only have the rear plate but wanted to see if others in the group have thought about this and what you are planning to do.
I live in TX and have never installed the bracket on any of my cars. I’ve been pulled over twice but no tickets

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Many people in OR run without a front plate, but if you utilize street parking in Portland there is a high chance you will get a ticket (the meter readers look for this and will cite you 100% of the time they see it). Having it in the front windshield doesn't comply with the law and doesn't save you from a ticket.
I know a couple of Tesla owners that have a temporary mount they use for downtown, and another that found someplace that would vinyl print your plate as a sticker (either reflective or non). the idea is it adheres to the contours and doesn't mess with the aero (more of an issue on a Tesla than a Rivian).

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I live in TX and have never installed the bracket on any of my cars. I’ve been pulled over twice but no tickets
Same here. Pulled over twice in 24 years and given a warning both times. Ironically, the 2nd time was just 3 weeks ago.

With the Rivian, I am probably going to spring for custom plates so will actually want to have the front plate mounted.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I wonder if they have a solution for mounting the plate over the roller fairlead if you have a winch installed. I've tried some brackets that clip to the rollers and lost at least one front plate to (thieves? freeway winds?) that way. Would be nice to have an OEM solution.

Bpcunning

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘15 Charger R/T, ‘20 Explorer ST
Occupation
Mech. Engineer
Fellow Texan here. On cars where I didn't want to drill and would look bad if I did (Mini Cooper, Passat, Charger) I just ran without one and never had an issue. Where the bracket was more or less built in (Colorado, Edge, Explorer) I put it on because, well it fit and it's arguably the law.

If the R1T has a nice molded bracket in the bumper and ships with it, I'll use it. Otherwise I'll just store the 2nd plate in the frunk (so it's "with" the vehicle, whatever good that might be). Of note, my Charger shipped from Louisiana and they didn't put a bracket on, so maybe that's an upside to the direct sales ban, Rivian can't sell IN Texas so they can leave the front bracket off...

Sponsored

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
Bummer about March 1, 2022.

Last edited:

Ty012

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi
I doubt they could get away with selling vehicles without front plate mounts in states that require them.
And yet many do... Currently trying to find a front license plate solution for my wife’s new Audi. I have a friend who zip ties his front plate to the grill of his GTI. Both don’t have spots for front license plates but still sold in CO which requires a front plate. I use a tow hook mount for my front plate on my Tesla, maybe there will be something like that for the Rivian If doesn’t come with a non-drill front plate mount.

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired
Many people in OR run without a front plate, but if you utilize street parking in Portland there is a high chance you will get a ticket (the meter readers look for this and will cite you 100% of the time they see it). Having it in the front windshield doesn't comply with the law and doesn't save you from a ticket.
I know a couple of Tesla owners that have a temporary mount they use for downtown, and another that found someplace that would vinyl print your plate as a sticker (either reflective or non). the idea is it adheres to the contours and doesn't mess with the aero (more of an issue on a Tesla than a Rivian).
When I lived in Portland, I used SnapPlate on my Model 3 when heading to downtown. It’s otherwise in my frunk taking up space. I moved to Bend last year and have never put it on.

*I hope there are no Bend PD on this forum to come bust me. ?

https://everyamp.com/shop/snapplate/

TXKidd

First Name
Harrison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T pre-order
I've been running without a front plate in TX now for about 4 years. I do have the Quick Bandit license plate holder for my Model Y that just clips on to the bottom front bumper grille, and I'm hoping there will be similar options for Rivian in case you feel it's necessary to put one on real quick. Takes about 3 seconds to put it on/remove it, and it seems very stable (although I haven't used it much ;).)

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Was pulled over and ticketed twice for no front plate, in two different states. I'll just run the plate if the state requires it.
Sponsored