First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Software Engineer
It's 100% true. Have you ever reviewed how insurance companies use their dongle? Brisk acceleration, hard braking, and driving over the speed limit all count against you for rate purposes.

Insurance companies ABSOLUTELY use speed against their customers.
They probably do, currently. Those dongles are a pretty poor method of data collection. Typically they define “events” that increase risk, and merely count those events and calculate a score. The events may or may not be based on actual data.

My point is that with better data collection an insurance company could use better raw data to learn that they are watching the wrong data points like driving over the speed limit.

If they get better raw data and find that it does indeed correlate with higher cost to them, then they should of course charge speeders more. Just because probability hasn’t had an effect on you personally doesn’t mean it won’t ever.
Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I agree, the seat does look dark in your screenshot. But I can really start to see Forest Edge in the door panel, and the wood trim.

I could be wrong, but I think the black matte wrapped truck they did the 5 minute video on with David Alexanian from Long Way Up, was Black Mountain. The seats really looked dark grey/black, and the pillars slightly lighter. Who knows... But we will know sooner than later at this point.

Messages Image(2781209076).png

Messages Image(1666117377).png
All of this reminds me of the Internet question that popped up six years ago regarding the color combination of that dress. Was it White & Gold, or Black & Blue? So far, many people viewing Rivian's recent short video here have said that the interior is Ocean Coast, while others have said Forest Edge, or Mountain Black. From various shots, with different angles and lighting, I can understand all three calls. The only thing I can't see very well, is how we're going to take this torture much longer. Aaarrrggghh!!!

Just let us see them in the real world already. Please!!!

https://www.livescience.com/50842-dress-debate-color-perception.html

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I read an article awhile back that stated that 80% of the revenue generated by the cameras goes to the private companies operating them. Primarily RedFlex, Zerox/ACS and American Traffic Solutions. I used to do a lot of government policy work (still do some) and the lobbyists for those companies were at pretty much every event I ever attended. It’s basically a big back scratching game where the companies grease the politicians’ campaign accounts, and then the politicians return the favor. All in the guise of “safety”, but we all know what it’s really about.
Yeah, I always laugh when I hear a city official say "We don't see much of that money". I have to ask for clarification. "Do you mean the city doesn't see that much of the money, or you don't see that much of the money?" A local study by an angry attorney showed a red-light camera that was going off prematurely all day long. He proved his case, but I'm not certain many people got their money, or clean driving records back.

Also, the intersection in question became a gold mine for body shops because of the rear-end collisions caused by the paranoia of getting caught. The light would go yellow and folks would slam on their brakes rather than chance a ticket and a trip to the local traffic court/revenue-generation center.

twinprice

First Name
Winston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon XL Denali, Tesla Model Y, and LE RS1 - Hopefully!
Clubs

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE

Sponsored

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
Lol, I did the same with Washington and got stonewalled as well. They did say they would offer umbrella insurance though.
I'm picky about the actual language in my umbrella policy and chose my carrier (Safeco) mainly because of their broad coverage. I don't shop on price alone, so even if Rivian could get the whole package a few hundred bucks a year cheaper, I still would need to see a similarly broad policy before switching over.

Umbrellas are far less standardized than auto and home policies, and they do vary quite substantially from company to company. Geico tried to sell me a very narrow, follow-form policy that was just expanded limits on my other policies without plugging any holes. State Farm was ok, Farmers was better (big differences between them were how they dealt with rental cars, especially internationally where your US policy doesn't follow you). Safeco is the only one I've found that will step all the way down when using rented/borrowed cars, boats, and ATVs regardless of underlying insurance on those items. If you don't own an ATV (and therefore don't have an ATV policy) and your friend doesn't carry that magic $250k limit on the one you're borrowing... I want an umbrella that actually plugs that kind of hole, not one that leaves me exposed.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I'm picky about the actual language in my umbrella policy and chose my carrier (Safeco) mainly because of their broad coverage. I don't shop on price alone, so even if Rivian could get the whole package a few hundred bucks a year cheaper, I still would need to see a similarly broad policy before switching over.

Umbrellas are far less standardized than auto and home policies, and they do vary quite substantially from company to company. Geico tried to sell me a very narrow, follow-form policy that was just expanded limits on my other policies without plugging any holes. State Farm was ok, Farmers was better (big differences between them were how they dealt with rental cars, especially internationally where your US policy doesn't follow you). Safeco is the only one I've found that will step all the way down when using rented/borrowed cars, boats, and ATVs regardless of underlying insurance on those items. If you don't own an ATV (and therefore don't have an ATV policy) and your friend doesn't carry that magic $250k limit on the one you're borrowing... I want an umbrella that actually plugs that kind of hole, not one that leaves me exposed.
timesinks,

It's good to hear you say that. Safeco is my favorite preferred carrier, in part for their robust Umbrella coverage. As an agent, they are great to work with and my clients have been really pleased with their Claims service for both first and third-party claims. I'm hoping Safeco has favorable rates for the Rivians, as my first option will be to add the R1T to my own current auto and Umbrella policies.

That said, I'm looking forward to checking out Rivian's total offerings. As an Independent, I'll be curious to see who they will partner with in my two states of Oregon and Washington. I'd also like to find out if an Independent Agent has any way to gain an appointment to represent their products. To your point, many people are good knowing they have even a narrow, follow-form Umbrella, which may be cheaper and certainly better than no Umbrella, but many people don't mind the greater cost for the wider coverage. The same can be said for having a local agent vs. online call center. It all comes down to preference and price.

No matter how this goes, I think Rivian is really wise in providing the option for us to get our insurance needs addressed through them.

Aitopilot

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Civic
Occupation
Pilot
Clubs

This was the response I received.....

"All great questions!

Rivian Insurance is currently licensed to sell in 40 states. Our goal is to expand to all states(including North Carolina) and the District of Columbia except Alaska and Louisiana by launch or shortly thereafter. For pricing, you'll be able to build a quote in minutes as you complete your vehicle order. Rivian Insurance Advisors will be available to help you protect your Rivian with insurance advice or building quotes. We'll have discounts for bundling home, auto, and umbrella as well as various options for payment. You'll also see more information on our partners and offers announced as deliveries get closer!

Thank you for your interest in Rivian Insurance.

- Rivian Insurance Team
Rivian Insurance Services, License #1970938 "

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I wonder what the issue is with Alaska a d Louisiana? Anyone know?

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Sponsored

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Looks like Nationwide may be insuring the Rivians

https://flip.it/F3EmtL

1619668815042.png
"Nationwide is on our side!" Not a company I represent, but a good one, nonetheless. I'll be curious to see how they rate the Rivlans. Those initial rates should be all over the place. Stay tuned......

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
That answers the question of why AK and LA were excluded!