All electric household?

Zeus

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord, VW id4
Longtime lurker (1.5 years), first post. Would really appreciate any advice from more experienced folks.
Missed the pre-March prices, sulked for about a month and finally placed an order for the R1S in April 2022 (that's how much I believe in Rivian) knowing it'll be a long wait. Wife placed an order for vw id4 in August, and because we live a few hours from Chattanooga, picked her car up in October (2023 id4). I currently drive a Honda accord (but can't seem to not drive the ev. It's so exciting).

After the new delivery window update, I was moved from Jan-Dec 2024 to May-June 2023 (sorry about folks whose delivery window was pushed back. I can imagine the pain. Not gloating, as this is not the intention of this post). In all honesty, I am conditioning my mind for a delivery window of Sept-Dec, because, this is Rivian. I'll rather be surprised than disappointed.

I am thinking about trading in or selling the accord (2018) since I don't see myself driving it after the Rivian arrives. Also, the kids are young (3 years old and a 4 month old).

Here are my questions;

1. Is it possible and advisable to go all in and become a full ev household? (No cold feet about the rivian, as I plan on taking delivery and enjoying the heck out of it). The conventional wisdom is to keep one ice car.

2. How convenient would this option of an all ev household be?

3. Anything I should consider that I might be overlooking due to my excitement over evs?

We hardly take roadtrips, and we have a level 2 evse installed at home. I live only about 10 miles from work and my wife has a 100 mile round trip to work daily.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Cheers.

P.S. the accord has been fully paid off, so no loans there to worry about.
Sponsored

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
We are an all EV household, and we take road trips, well maybe not in the Leaf :CWL: .

2021 Tesla model 3 long range
2022 Rivian R1T
2016 Nissan Leaf

We actually traded in an 2018 Hyundai Ioniq electric to get the Rivian. Not as much range but it charged so fast on DCFC that we could also take it on trips, even though it really only had 124mile range.

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
I'll add that with ICE, we had to stop around the same time we would have needed to charge for potty breaks. We just didn't realize we were living the EV lifestyle already. Now we just combine the stops.

OP
OP
Zeus

Zeus

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord, VW id4
I thought the leaf was the ultimate roadtrip car:CWL:

Thanks, Roger

Jack Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvette Z06, Cherokee, Nissan Titan, BMW 1200GSA
i kept my ice pickup when I took delivery of the R1T. Wisconsin has ok charging infrastructure, but I do a fair amount of long distance towing to go fishing up north. Also, between thunderstorms in the summer and blizzards in the winter the potential of power outages very real. For 99% of my driving and towing the R1T is perfect, but I kept the Titan, just in case

Sponsored

OP
OP
Zeus

Zeus

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord, VW id4
I'll add that with ICE, we had to stop around the same time we would have needed to charge for potty breaks. We just didn't realize we were living the EV lifestyle already. Now we just combine the stops.
That makes sense.
Appreciate your time

OP
OP
Zeus

Zeus

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord, VW id4
i kept my ice pickup when I took delivery of the R1T. Wisconsin has ok charging infrastructure, but I do a fair amount of long distance towing to go fishing up north. Also, between thunderstorms in the summer and blizzards in the winter the potential of power outages very real. For 99% of my driving and towing the R1T is perfect, but I kept the Titan, just in case
Power outage is one of the things that scares me 😱.
Thanks for your input, Jack

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
100% EVs here. We have two Teslas now, soon to be two Rivians. No issues at all. Super easy.

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
This is a good point, I live in socal and California is pretty good on charging infrastructure these days. I have to admit though we can find more Tesla chargers than other types in some cases.

OP
OP
Zeus

Zeus

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord, VW id4

Sponsored

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I think we traded slots. I moved from 2Q this year to 1H next year. The high price of the pre March discount!

We have been all ev for 5 years. It has never been an issue (even when we lost power in hurricanes) and road trips keep getting easier as charging improves. If I did a lot of towing I might think about keeping an ICE but other than that I cannot think if why I would want one (there is always Enterprise rental if you need them). For us, we would never go back.

OP
OP
Zeus

Zeus

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord, VW id4
I think we traded slots. I moved from 2Q this year to 1H next year. The high price of the pre March discount!

We have been all ev for 5 years. It has never been an issue (even when we lost power in hurricanes) and road trips keep getting easier as charging improves. If I did a lot of towing I might think about keeping an ICE but other than that I cannot think if why I would want one (there is always Enterprise rental if you need them). For us, we would never go back.
I just hate it when I mistakenly take up someone's slot. Sorry, but I'm not returning your slot! :like:

Thanks for your comment. I also don't tow at all.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
This is a good point, I live in socal and California is pretty good on charging infrastructure these days. I have to admit though we can find more Tesla chargers than other types in some cases.
After getting the R1 my wife is on board with becoming a full electric family, and the Y makes so much sense because we love to road trip, but she refuses to get a Tesla :swear:

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

This is a question worth the consideration that you are clearly devoting to it. We traded in a CRV (sold it back to CarMax, the trade in was way better than Rivian btw) for an R1T. Our other car is an i3 with a range extender that really is not suitable for long trips, especially with young kids. As it turns out, I have also been thinking about this exact question. During the recent Southwest holiday meltdown we considered making the trip from northern Colorado to Texas in the Rivian with our two kids (5 and 9). My wife eventually got cold feet as she was worried about extending an already long drive with charging stops which, as we all know, can be hit or miss. What ensued was, shall we say, a spirited marital discussion on the pros and cons of being an all electric family with me being firmly in the pro camp. However, I completely see her point of view and I certainly don’t want to strand us between Trinidad and Amarillo either. Other than that, the EVs currently meet all our needs and offer many benefits over ICE. I’ll try to walk my wife off the ledge on replacing the i3 with an ICE. There are many plug-in hybrid options with an all electric range that would cover your commute and perhaps that will be our compromise :) .

Questions I would ask yourself:
do you both have patience to put up with some charging inconvenience on an occasional long trip while with the little ones?
Do you take many long (>1000 mi) road trips? There are some excellent reports on YouTube and on this forum of families road-tripping with their Rivian.

The other consideration is is your household power budget. I have a short commute, not unlike yours, but even with that the average consumption from the R1T is somewhere between 9-13 kWh/day. Turns out that a recent significant re-model and upgrades made cuts of about 15kWh/day equivalent so we ended up in the black! Nice thing is we won’t have to resize our upcoming solar array install. Sorry for the rambling reply and good luck on the decision!
Sponsored