timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Which car company current gives you a loaner, of the same brand, when you are having service?

Over the years I have done that with my BMWs....but they have scaled that way back. Honestly any loaner will be fine with me. Hopefully I won't ever need a loaner....
I've always received a Tesla loaner when I've needed one, although they claim they don't guarantee it. It may be that they reserve the loaners for S/X customers and 3/Y customers are lower priority. Usually it's an older model trade-in, which might be tricky for Rivian to pull off initially unless they use their demo/test fleet.
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Which car company current gives you a loaner, of the same brand, when you are having service?
Off the top of my head, in my area, Acura, Infiniti, Volvo, Lexus, Mercedes, and Porsche all give same-brand "new" loaners (always current or previous model year).

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I would imagine we will be getting access to the app soon as well (May), if its anything like Mach E/Tesla app we can track our vehicle progress thru there, check its build status, talk to our guide etc. It would basically be a HTML5 rebuild of the Rivian.com interface.

I suspect they are holding off on massive website changes because of this roll out (also based off a few other things). April towards may will definitely be interesting.

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I am still impressed that @kanundrum has notifications set for when Rivian makes changes to their website :movember:
That is only like 1/10th of how much information I get. Lot more out there that I don't post for other reasons.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

Over the years I have done that with my BMWs....but they have scaled that way back. Honestly any loaner will be fine with me. Hopefully I won't ever need a loaner....
With BMW and Volvo in my area this seems to have depended more on the dealership than the manufacturer and often times on whether or not you purchased the vehicle from the servicing dealership. It also depends on whether the dealership has an available loaner. With my Volvos, I have often needed to schedule service a week or 2 in advance to ensure I get a loaner. Fortunately I've never needed "emergency" service.

Sponsored

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
My 2 cents,

I have owned a few BMWs and the few times I have needed it the free loaners have been BMWs and I think BMW uses it as marketing. Was super fun to get a Z3 or 3 series to tool around in, and it probably kept me coming back to the brand to a degree.

I no longer care about that stuff, if I need a loaner and Rivian is going to provide it, make it as inexpensive as possible like a Ford Fusion. Spend that money extending my warranty benefits for the vehicle or OTA updates. Don't waste an 80K vehicle on a fleet car.

I can live with an inexpensive ride for a week while you fix my Rivian but that is my opinion.

ESTRUCK

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt EV-Kona EV+ORDERED R1T-Canoo PU-SilveradoEV
Overall, looks pretty good. My main concern is turnaround time. If I need service, how long will it take to to get an appointment? A day or two? Or weeks?
Yes good point. I hope they have a large fleet ! It's a big country.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
My 2 cents,

I have owned a few BMWs and the few times I have needed it the free loaners have been BMWs and I think BMW uses it as marketing. Was super fun to get a Z3 or 3 series to tool around in, and it probably kept me coming back to the brand to a degree.

I no longer care about that stuff, if I need a loaner and Rivian is going to provide it, make it as inexpensive as possible like a Ford Fusion. Spend that money extending my warranty benefits for the vehicle or OTA updates. Don't waste an 80K vehicle on a fleet car.

I can live with an inexpensive ride for a week while you fix my Rivian but that is my opinion.
Loaner fleets are marketing, still. It's not good business to give someone a loaner from another brand. Also, if your vehicle is broken, you may not be happy... So sticking a frustrated customer in a Ford Fusion is insult to injury.

In my opinion, loaner fleets should not only be the same brand, but the "current" model generation AND top-spec. For your customers who bought the top-spec, this is a demonstration of respect that you're lending them a comparable car and not making them "slum" down. For customers who bought low-spec vehicles then a top-spec loaner is a treat -- an aspirational demonstration of what the brand is.

Besides, the service loaner fleet can also be the mobile test drive fleet!

Pedritho

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Prius 2000 Toyota 4Runner
Loaner fleets are marketing, still. It's not good business to give someone a loaner from another brand. Also, if your vehicle is broken, you may not be happy... So sticking a frustrated customer in a Ford Fusion is insult to injury.

In my opinion, loaner fleets should not only be the same brand, but the "current" model generation AND top-spec. For your customers who bought the top-spec, this is a demonstration of respect that you're lending them a comparable car and not making them "slum" down. For customers who bought low-spec vehicles then a top-spec loaner is a treat -- an aspirational demonstration of what the brand is.

Besides, the service loaner fleet can also be the mobile test drive fleet!

Agree with this sentiment 100%! Unfortunately in the past when needing a loaner for my Range Rover, which was often, they tried to give me a Jaguar i-Pace one time, and another time they tried to give me an Evoque. Another time when I had my Tundra, they tried to give me a Corolla. And then another time when I needed a loaner for my Prius, they just sent me to Hertz for them to take care of it with their fleet. All of these were missed opportunities for their own marketing and brand loyalty, as well as a huge pain in knowing that you purchased a vehicle to fit your needs, and the vehicle they were trying to loan to you may not fit those needs. Going from a Tundra to a Corolla means you wouldn't be able to carry as much gear as you would normally need to because you didn't have the capabilities or the space.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

They are going to give you a Rivian. End. Of. Story. Why would it be any other way? The fact that this is a talking point is almost comical. They aren't going to give you an ICE loaner. It will be another Rivian, without a shadow of a doubt.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
That is only like 1/10th of how much information I get. Lot more out there that I don't post for other reasons.
Look at you, in that much-lighter-than-black hat!

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

...or maybe in the spirit of making sure you will never want to drive an ICE again as you anxiously await the return of your Rivian, the loaner you get is a 1978 Ford Mustang II w/ a 2.3L 4-cylinder complete with Fred Flintstone-rusted out floor pans and no AC.

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Look at you, in that much-lighter-than-black hat!
OSINT is taking candy from the free candy dish! PSA Cyber Red Team is part of my day job.