Sponsored

Electronaut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A4
Rivian Enters The Auto Industry With the Best EV Warranty In America
Rivian’s deliveries are just about to begin. Here’s why Rivian has the industry’s best electric vehicle warranty in America.

https://www.torquenews.com/1083/rivian-enters-auto-industry-best-ev-warranty-america

Rivian is a luxury electric vehicle brand about to begin delivering its first vehicles. According to the company’s spokesperson, deliveries of the R1T electric pickup will begin in June. The R1S SUV will follow the pickup in the fall. We reached out Rivian and asked the company if it could detail for us the warranty the company plans to employ as part of its ownership experience. Here’s what we found and how it ranks by comparison to Tesla, Hyundai, Ford, GM, VW, Nissan, Jaguar, BMW, and Toyota.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Warranty vs Other Auto Companies (Comparison + Chart) ev_warranties

The Rivian Warranty

Like most automotive warranties, the Rivian warranty has four parts. First up is the comprehensive warranty. This warranty will cover Rivian vehicle owners for five years, or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first. Since this is a warranty and not a maintenance plan, the warranty covers the cost of repairs due to defects.

Up next is the powertrain warranty. Rivian actually calls this a “Drivetrain Warranty.” It lasts eight years or 175,000 miles. The battery pack is the same duration and it ensures the battery will maintain 70% of its original ability over that span. Last, the corrosion warranty is eight years.

How Competitors’ Warranties Stack Up To Rivian’s

Tesla’s warranty is the hardest to decode. For example, the Roadster, Model X, and Model S have a different warranty than the Model 3 and Y. Even the Standard Range Model 3 has a different warranty than other Model 3s. Most confusing is that Tesla separates out its control and infotainment screen from the rest of the vehicle, and only covers that critical portion for 2 years or 25K miles. Aside from the Rivan warranty being longer-lasting than the Tesla warranty, it is also much more straightforward.

Jaguar has a great initial warranty in general called Elite Care. It covers the vehicle for five years or 60K miles. That includes the cost of required maintenance as well. However, there is no additional powertrain warranty added.

Toyota’s electrified vehicle warranty is an extension of its regular warranty. The EV warranty adds the longest battery warranty in years at ten, but limits the miles to 150K. Still a very long period. Toyota’s warranty also includes two years of included maintenance.
Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Toyota’s electrified vehicle warranty is an extension of its regular warranty. The EV warranty adds the longest battery warranty in years at ten, but limits the miles to 150K. Still a very long period. Toyota’s warranty also includes two years of included maintenance.
The 10/150 is for their PHEVs and is a minimum requirement for all PHEVs sold in CA and Section 177 States. All PHEVs carry this warranty in ZEV States (some define a different warranty period on the battery for other states).

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)

Sponsored

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I'm happy with the Rivian warranty.

I do wonder if they have some actuarial tables that show the vast majority of drivers will reach 8 years on the warranty before driving much more than 120,000 miles. The 175,000 miles looks great, but not might be that much additional benefit for the average driver. I do like the idea I could drive the truck 170,000 miles and still have warranty coverage.

time

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, F150 Lighting XLT, Model 3 RWD
I was hoping Rivian would do an included Maintenance Program like BMW. It'd be nice knowing the vehicle doesn't need anything out of pocket for at least a few years. I love dropping my i3 off at BMW because I know no matter what it needs it won't cost anything. But I understand most manufactures don't include this.

Worried we're going to find out that cabin filter is $300 and the rotors are made from asteroidal platinum

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I was hoping Rivian would do an included Maintenance Program like BMW. It'd be nice knowing the vehicle doesn't need anything out of pocket for at least a few years. I love dropping my i3 off at BMW because I know no matter what it needs it won't cost anything. But I understand most manufactures don't include this.

Worried we're going to find out that cabin filter is $300 and the rotors are made from asteroidal platinum
With regenerative braking, I would be surprised if you ever need to replace the brake pads or rotors.

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
Bummer about March 1, 2022.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Gearhead500

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 XLT
Occupation
Director of Marketing & Ecommerce
I feel like I was all-in on LE anyway, but as a first EV for me and first EV for them, this is a “security blanket” that is nice to have. makes me feel better moving forward.
Long story short, I can t wait for June, July...
RJ if you’re reading August 5ths my birthday. Please don’t let it slip past then.

love this community and company.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

What maintenance are you expecting Rivian to require?

Maybe a cabin filter every 2-3 years?
Brake fluid every 2-3 years?
Tire rotations every 5k miles?

No more engine oil/filter changes.

Free maintenance is always nice, but I don't think it'll be the same "value" compared to a BMW ICE vehicle.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
kinda side track here but does anyone know if Rivian is using standard 12v automotive batteries to run the accessories?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
kinda side track here but does anyone know if Rivian is using standard 12v automotive batteries to run the accessories?
Based on the responses several of us have received direct from Rivian, there is a 50/50 chance that it is/isn't.

Eager2own

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Rivian R1T LE
Based on the responses several of us have received direct from Rivian, there is a 50/50 chance that it is/isn't.
Let’s not have a third person ask or we will have a 33/33/33 % chance.
And if you think that Rivian CS can’t give three different answers to the same yes/no question, you clearly underestimate them and must be new here.
Sponsored